Experience, Anyone?

1. DeanAsploded Member Member

What are some things you know and have experienced about the care of bamboo shrimp? Need as much as you've got because the decision of whether or not to buy them MUST be made by tomorrow.

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

The three big things that I know about them are as follows:
    1) They needs stuff to climb on, and prefer to be able to sit right in front of the filter output.
    2) They need a very mature tank (at least three months, many suggest six or even a year), because they eat stuff that grows in the water column.
    3) If you see them picking in the substrate, they aren't getting enough food and will need to be target fed (which risks mucking the tank up, but letting them pick through the substrate will damage their feeder claws)

3. DeanAsploded Member Member

Any idea about gallons per shrimp? There are plenty of slots for an invertebrate, and my youngest tank is just five months, with many being active and full for years and years. Not to mention some are slightly overstocked (ie. rescued some small schoolers from neighbours) so there's plenty of developing algae and micro-organisms in the water.

And do you know if it's true that when the shrimp looks red it's near the end of it's life? Because somewhere through a google link it said that, and I had been considering buying the only red one, but if it's just going to die I'd rather not waste the six dollars, y'know, especially this close to Christmas when I need every penny. =P

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

From what I've read, red bamboo shrimp are healthy. I think this info was from petshrimp.com.

I wouldn't consider them to have any significant bioload. Just make sure the tank isn't too heavy on nitrogen.

5. DeanAsploded Member Member

Alright. Well, I've been looking for shrimp since September! Haha. And luckily the day I came out to do my Christmas shopping was the same day they got twelve new bamboos in stock. =)

Thinking of getting 3-5. There were these adorable aquarium safe faux-wood pieces with wide ledges on them that would offer a variety of heights that would come to varying degrees of closeness with the current in the tank I'm considering putting them in, so I guess the shrimp will get a Xmas gift too, eh? Haha. The tank I'm considering is planted, but I think I'll buy a couple more plants while I'm out here, just to help out the population of micro-organisms in the tank and he overall health.

Thanks for the help!

6. xVitox Member Member

I hope you got these! they are great for a larger aquarium and as long as it is adequately cycled/aged with lots of bacteria you will have good luck

7. DeanAsploded Member Member

Yep, I did indeed get three!

My smallest one died about a week ago due to complications during molting, but the other two are quite happy. Always on their ledge, one on one side, the other on the other side, right in front of the filter. I had to remove the small schoolers I had in with them due to them getting a bit nippy, but it's been almost a month and they're still not searching the substrate for food, so I guess they're getting enough with just me putting a half-pinch of food in the current's flow.

I've also set up a gallon jar for algae, bacteria, etc... basically greenwater growth. The shrimp get all excited and dash onto the highest parts of the ledge when I put a few drops of that in the water, so I guess they like it.

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Death during molting could be due to a lack of iodine. You may want to look into getting an iodine additive (I think they make it for marine aquaria... I doubt that it would contain anything harmful to a freshwater tank), or you can try to target feed them some spirulina powder (very rich in iodine). At worst, the spirulina would add iodine to the system.

9. inari Well Known Member Member

perhaps that was my problem years ago when i couldn't seem to keep them alive for much longer than the warranty. lol, One major warning tho; in my experience, thay are very vulnerable to fluxuation in water quality. I had a major problem once with pH they are a wonderful indicator species as well. One thing that I have noticed makes them more comfortable seems to be bamboo stalks. Best of luck with them -- they are great pets!!!

~Inari

10. DeanAsploded Member Member

Well, they finally have me trained, in any case.

A tiny pinch of additives and flake food in the morning when I turn on the light, a slightly larger pinch of crushed insect/algae mix before I turn the lights off at night.

Even when I am feeding them sometimes they just go eat the micro-organism clusters I get often on one of my rocks instead. Oh well. I guess I can't really help that. It's not like they're actually digging for food, so, it shouldn't hurt their filtering arms too much.