Expensive Betta Tank?

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have recently decided to add a single male betta to a list of possible animals I could get as a Christmas present to myself. I was thinking a 5.5 gallon tank. I know about betta care, as I've kept them all my life, but I want to know some fancy stuff I could buy him! My budget is 200 dollars! I have no idea what a good HOB filter would be for a tank this size, and likewise for a heater. Also, I'm not overall sure how "fancy" I could go with 200 dollars. Comment your suggestions and ideas, please!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im a cheap skate. Lol. $200 i could do a big tank with everything for that

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
Im a cheap skate. Lol. $200 i could do a big tank with everything for that
I can feel you there. I can do a 14 gallon with barely spending 30 dollars. I just want something really nice since he's going to be a special boy!

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CrazedHoosier said:
I can feel you there. I can do a 14 gallon with barely spending 30 dollars. I just want something really nice since he's going to be a special boy!
What about a 5-10 gallon and order an expensive betta?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CrazedHoosier said:
So I have recently decided to add a single male betta to a list of possible animals I could get as a Christmas present to myself. I was thinking a 5.5 gallon tank. I know about betta care, as I've kept them all my life, but I want to know some fancy stuff I could buy him! My budget is 200 dollars! I have no idea what a good HOB filter would be for a tank this size, and likewise for a heater. Also, I'm not overall sure how "fancy" I could go with 200 dollars. Comment your suggestions and ideas, please!
I just got a 5 G tank for my new Betta! I got the Fluval Spec 5. It was $99.99 but I got it price matched for $79.99. It comes with the filter built in, which is nice. With a budget of $200, you could easily get that tank, a heater, substrate, decor, food, cleaning tools, etc.

I love the tank so far, it's really sleek looking, easy to put together, and the light is great. It has a little touch pad that changes the lighting from day to night and off/on. It's pretty cool.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry i can't really offer any products in that size. Smallest i have ever had set up was 20 gallon for qt.

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, you could get a Fluval Spec V tank or some other fancy tank from Fluval or Marineland. You could also get something bigger and make it into a betta wonderland. Planted tanks look great. I know that Cobalt Neo-Therm and Eheim Jäger heaters are known to be of good quality.

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The OP could get an $100 betta, to begin with
I use the sponge filter for my bettas, but the problem is while they are big on biological filtration, I realized they provide almost none mechanical...I've been recommended azoo palm and azoo mignon, depending on the tank size. I'm going to buy, but have no experience yet. For azoo mignon, they are called by some users miniature aquaclear , which is a high praise to me

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Natalya said:
The OP could get an $100 betta, to begin with
I use the sponge filter for my bettas, but the problem is while they are big on biological filtration, I realized they provide almost none mechanical...I've been recommended azoo palm and azoo mignon, depending on the tank size. I'm going to buy, but have no experience yet. For azoo mignon, they are called by some users miniature aquaclear , which is a high praise to me
they are...i love it

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shiv234 said:
they are...i love it
Oh, good to know! Which size are you using per what tank volume?

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would start planning on spending about 50-75 on a betta with a budget like that (wowza!) because you can get an AMAZING boy from a breeder for that kind of price. Check ebay, unless you want to ship internationally.

I would then get tank with a cheap sponge filter and the matching lid with clips. Black Diamond blasting sand substrate, with some DIY root tabs and as many plants as I could fill it with. I'd also get a nice plant light with the color temp of your choice.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can get a 10 gallon glass “kit” at Walmart for $29.99 and all you would need is the heater. $200 is a lot for a betta tank. You could go all sorts of fancy with that much money.

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have this onehttps://
I use it on my 3 gallon currently....It was able to filter my 15 gallon moderately as well with a betta and 4 guppies
Natalya said:
Oh, good to know! Which size are you using per what tank volume?

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A 5 gallon with a 10 or 20 gallon sump?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
200 bucks you can do a 10 gallon with a proper heater filter ,sand and lighting with a few live plants.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
$200 might not be enough.

A 10 to 15 gallon tank 5 gallon is to small (not for the betta but to small for me), fancy betta, pressurized co2, aquasoil, hi light led, plants, sponge filter.

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would work really hard to make a beautiful aquascape with that much money. Once it's complete, I'd buy an expensive, show-stopping betta.

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really think you should invest into your betta, you could get an absolutely gorgeous one!

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CrazedHoosier said:
GET THIS TANK....THEN A CHEAP BETTA FISHhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP9Q6CZ/ref=twister_B076BT4X8F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I guess we fall into two categories: those who are into equipment, and those who are into fish just decide what category you yourself belong to

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom