Expanding My Hobby

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by BluePsion, Apr 22, 2017.

1. BluePsion

BluePsionValued MemberMember

This is version 1.0 of my new setup. The shelving unit I got from walmart's website for $55 and is a muscle rack with each shelf being 48x24. It is rated for an all over limit of 4000 pounds. I recommend that if you are not poor like me you get a sturdier shelf as the unit did not inspire confidence as it came out of the box. Now that it is together I believe it will suffice.

The shelves that came with the unit were cheap particle board. I replaced them with 3/4 inch high quality plywood which I painted.

Right now the rack holds two twenty gallon tanks and four ten gallons. All but one are empty! So many possibilities :).

At the top you can see an enclosure that houses a small american toad. If you look closely to the left of her home you can see a small bottle of magical aquarium seeds form China. Oooo.

The twenty gallon is so positioned that it is right next to my bed, so I look forward to being soothed by the aquarium life before going off to sleep.

I have never had this many tanks, even small, at one time and I love it!

Any ideas on what I should put in these? I was considering on trying to hatch some killifish...

2. Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

I'm jealous :) enjoy planning and deciding! Look forward to photos!

3. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

A threadfin rainbow planted tank would be awesome :)

4. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Nice! Funny, I have thought about similar rack systems from Home Depot for a future fish room. The capacity may be 4000 pounds but that may be "static" pounds instead of in motion. Obviously no wheels on this rack, but it could be still be susceptible to failure if pushed hard enough on it from the side. Some of the DIY metal stands I have seen, and most of the wooden ones have corner braces to avoid such horizontal movement. Something to think about, maybe you can add some bracing if you are going to fully load it.

One more thing that I think any rack should have is an anchor to the wall. Did you anchor it already? (Wasn't in your post) This will avoid it falling forward on somebody.

5. OP
    OP
    BluePsion

BluePsionValued MemberMember

It doesn't have an anchor to a wall. I live in a childfree household in New Hampshire where there just aren't earthquakes that could knock things over. It still would be nice to have--just have to remember to do it.

I did have to move one of the 20 gallons to another stand as I was starting to see some bowing on that shelf. Despite this I am pleased with this setup and I think the shelf will serve me for many years when it comes to the hobby.

As for stocking only two of the aquariums have anything with them. The new arrivals are some beautiful Odessa barbs in the 20 gallon. Once I have an upload of video of them I will put it here.

Thanks for looking! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice