Exercise for bettas

divakeeks

Reaction score
Hello again, it's me with ANOTHER question :)

I was reading on the internet about some exercises for bettas. As usual, I wanted to check here for clarification from "my experts" :)

Are these exercises only for "fighting" fish or are there exercises for household bettas? Do bettas need exercise? I have heard that some people put mirrors by the tanks for the bettas to flare at for like 10 minutes a day and things like that.

Also, Rose, I know that you have said you give your bettas vitamins. What exactly do you give them? It is to promote healthy living? Do you recommend giving them for all bettas or is it a personal choice of yours?

Ok, so I know that was a few questions but sometimes when I start typing I remember all sorts of things and I don't want to double post :)

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! ;D ;D ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, so if I don't get this all covered, just let me know and I will answer what ever I miss tomorrow. 

I never heard of "exercises" for Bettas.  If they don't get emough just going around the tank, then I would not begin to know what to do to make them exercise.  LOL  But seriously, the mirror idea is a very bad one.  Doing this particular "exercise" puts a lot of stress on your Betta and can put serious strain on his heart if left for too long.  It is just plain cruel.

The vitamins are a bit of a stretch on my fish's diet.  The vitamins are supposed to increase the immune system and help with tissue regeneration for injured fish.  I am using them on their food and in the water.  The link is as follows:

I use the Freshwater variety of course 1 drop in each gallon of water 2 times a week and a drop on their food 5 days a week.  It says on the bottle 2 drops per gall but there is also a little sign on the bottle that says they are superconcentrated and to cut the dosage in half.  My little folks will be on them as long as they are with me, but I can only speak for myself; I just feel better doing everything I can to keep their immune systems up.

I hope this is what you needed.  If not just give me a yell.

Rose

OP
D

divakeeks

Reaction score
That is exactly what I was looking for ..... Thanks!!

So, is it bad for the bettas to get any sort of stimulation as far as flaring goes? I mean, when I put the camera up to Lilex's tank he flares and swims as if he's saying "Take my picture, PLEASE!!" And Raspy one time I was writing a note near his tank and he started flaring at my pen (the reflection I guess in the tank) so sometimes I'll put the pen near the tank and he swims and flares at it. He appears to enjoy it (I think anyway because when I take it away he stares at me like he's just been grounded and I've taken away all his toys)!! :)

I guess I am having a hard time telling whether they are happy or not and I feel like I want to be able to "play" with them because they do have such great personalities.

Any thoughts on that?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those are innocent little flares. The problem comes in when they are allowed (encouraged) to do it for a longer period of time. Some breeders and dealers will put a mirror out for a fish to flare at so a decent publicity picture can be taken but they do not leave it in place longer that necessary to get the picture and then they allow the fish to break their stare.

If your fish flares at something on his own or in a normal days activity it is not going to be a problem. (as long as it is not prolonged) They do spook kind of easy sometimes and it is just their nature to flare at those times, but it should be their decision not ours.

As long as they are active and eating well and coming to you when you are near and especially at feeding times. No laying on the bottom and being listless or refusing to eat or anything like that then I am sure you will be okay. They are content.

Rose

OP
D

divakeeks

Reaction score
They certainly are alert at feeding times. In fact, they are staring at me LONG before that (Lilex is looking at me right now) just in case I forget that feeding time is near.

Thanks for your help. I didn't want to be doing something that was dangerous for my little guys.

kerryve

Reaction score
I read on a taI website about conditioning the males for spawning and that was by stiring the water in the tank and then in the other direction, apparently making them swim against the water flow strengthens them for spawning. but I wouldnt do it with my houshold betta, I think that's really an old taI tradtion that they do to make their show fish strong

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That sounds like it would be stressful for the fish...

OP
D

divakeeks

Reaction score
I agree. I would not do that with my bettas either. Raspy likes to play in his bubbles from the filter but he does that on his own. I would never create a situation like that for him.

However, Raspy has been staring at himself in the reflection of his tank for the past day or two and is even giving himself kisses (that's what it looks like anyway!!). He also has what looks like a piece of hair or something sticking out of his mouth (about -- big) ... is there a safe way I can get it out or should I leave it alone??

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never heard of a Betta having a "hair" in its mouth so I am not at all sure what the procedure would be. I do not think that it would be wise to do anything as their mouths are delicate and they have a really different jaw. If it begins to "grow" or anything you may have to get an internal parasite remedy, but I would sooner say he has swallowed something and it is just sticking out of his mouth.

This may be a good time to remind everyone that the surface of the water needs to be kept very clean and during this time of year when fans and airconditioners are running unless you have a full hood, dust and film can build up on the surface. It does not mean anyone is "dirty" but it happens.

Rose

OP
D

divakeeks

Reaction score
Yes. I will keep an eye on it. It certainly doesn't seem to bother him at this point. If it does I will see what I can do to help him out with a parasite remedy like you suggest. I didn't figure I should try to get it out of his mouth but I wanted to check. He could've have swallowed a bug I suppose.... He is very greedy about food and I'm sure wouldn't think twice about eating something that was floating on the water.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is the problem still there or has he worked it out on his own?

Rose

OP
D

divakeeks

Reaction score
I think he has worked it out. I do not see the "hair" anymore. It was there for a few days and now it is not. I'm still curious as to what it was but perhaps I'll never know.

Thanks for checking in!!

New Threads