Exciting Times - My Red Fire and Blue Velvet Shrimp have arrived

lobobrandon

Reaction score
Just wanted to share the good news, nothing more :) It's the first time I have even seen aquarium shrimp, so I've neve really had them before. They are going to find a home in a heavily planted gallon tank together with some guppies, mollies and plattys. Oh I almost forgot the corydora and bladder snails (lol).

The tank is well established so they are going to have a lot of snacks lying around in terms of biofilm.

I have not bought any shrimp specific food yet. I do have some flakes that are mainly shrimp (not for shrimp but contain shrimp is what I mean). I was thinking of feeding them this? But I do know they need variety, I plan on doing some veggies, but other than that is there anything special that you guys feed them, to get sufficient nutrients for their exoskeleton? Any specific foods (I'm in Germany so I can look for similar products), also, any kind of fruit or veggies that your shrimp love?

Does spinach contain sufficient calcium if I feed say once a week? My bladder snails, which are not a pest to me yet seem to grow well. Am I to assume that my hard water carries enough nutrients for their shell and therefore potentially enough for the shrimp too?

Look at me. I began with saying I just wanted to share and I ended up writing an entire abstract.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feed cooked zucchini once a week cut into 1"squares and cook for 7 minutes cool under water, spunach only needs blanching for 40seconds, if you have access to mulburry leaves dry them completely for a month or two,add them to the tank as needed you can also use oak leaves &catappa leaves, Germany are well advanced with shrimp especially food so any com9lete food will do you, you may well want to get some bactor ae but feed VERY sparingly,
Make sure you read up on the acclamation process and follow or it could be all over before it starts,
Best of luck

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
richiep said:
Feed cooked zucchini once a week cut into 1"squares and cook for 7 minutes cool under water, spunach only needs blanching for 40seconds, if you have access to mulburry leaves dry them completely for a month or two,add them to the tank as needed you can also use oak leaves &catappa leaves, Germany are well advanced with shrimp especially food so any com9lete food will do you, you may well want to get some bactor ae but feed VERY sparingly,
Make sure you read up on the acclamation process and follow or it could be all over before it starts,
Best of luck
Thanks for the advice on the cooking times. The shrimp are doing fine, yes I did read up on their acclimation :) They are mostly in hiding because of the other fish I guess, but the plants in the centre of my tank where they all are is the densest area and there is a lot of food for them there I am sure. Will feed them some zucchini tomorrow. I just tested a piece of cherry for the cherry shrimp lol. I did not cook it, will keep it in for a few hours and see what happens.

New Threads