Exciting Peacock Cichlid News!

ruby_cichlid

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I got these fry when they were just under an inch in size, they are my first ever cichlid fry and ive had them for quite some time now with all still thriving and I've hit a milestone.

Ive starting noticing some faint coloration in all of them! Theyve all also grown significantly but anyone wanna guess what size they are now? I'm terrible are guessing sizes!

Also took pictures of lemon the lab and my "mystery" red cichlid that I bought as a ruby but have been,told its not even a peacock cichlid so I really need help ID the poor baby. I also have no idea what gender the mystery cichlid and lab is so any help there?

PVUpAwB.jpg

rn241IU.jpg

Wos1GXH.jpg

sJX3wTP.jpg

iPWJIxR.jpg

tQa8R5V.jpg

tvgDVHN.jpg

O2mjh0r.jpg

Also don't mind the mess, I was beginning to siphon out the tank and stirred up a lot of yucky stuff lol

Jeffsglo

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello,
I have never kept these type of fish. But that is really cool. I do know that in other types of fish you look at the stomach. And if the body is slender it's male, and if it's more round it's female.

OP
ruby_cichlid

ruby_cichlid

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jeffsglo said:
Hello,
I have never kept these type of fish. But that is really cool. I do know that in other types of fish you look at the stomach. And if the body is slender it's male, and if it's more round it's female.
I heard labs are particularly hard to sex and believe me the little bit of gray you see actually turns black, lemon was just stressed with the water change poor baby. I don't even have a clue what the other cichlid is so I have no idea how to sex it

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
maybe AquaticJ could help ID them

OP
ruby_cichlid

ruby_cichlid

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm actually looking back on all my photos and the more I look the more I notice similarities between the color formation in one of the fry and the mystery fish. My theory is that maybe the mystery fish is really one of those OB peacock fry that just doesn't carry the blotches or whatever they're called and instead look more stripey??

Just a theory

OP
ruby_cichlid

ruby_cichlid

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Aquilist said:
Lemon is so cute! Sorry I can't help with ID
Thank you! He or she was kinda a mistake but I chose to keep them and they've turned out to be so amazing. They have one of the most biggest personalities and is one of the most kindest fish I've had. Ive heard you can't keep mbunas with peacocks but both are doing amazing besides the occasional chase when they are anticipating getting fed.

I honestly have no idea what kind of cichlid Poison is not their gender. I went to my local pet store and was told that they weren't even a peacock cichlid at all but on a fish forum (can't remember which) I think I was told they were in fact a ruby?? I'm so confused

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So the first one is a Red Zebra, the rest are female Peacocks which are pretty hard to ID because they all look very similar and lack the colors of males.

OP
ruby_cichlid

ruby_cichlid

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AquaticJ said:
So the first one is a Red Zebra, the rest are female Peacocks which are pretty hard to ID because they all look very similar and lack the colors of males.
I'm sure I have at least a few males, out of 10 fry that seems really odd lol idk how old they are I just know I bought them at maybe less than an inch and just recently some colors began appearing. If they're all females that's also fine by me. Also what's the difference between a red zebra and a peacock?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ruby_cichlid said:
I'm sure I have at least a few males, out of 10 fry that seems really odd lol idk how old they are I just know I bought them at maybe less than an inch and just recently some colors began appearing. If they're all females that's also fine by me. Also what's the difference between a red zebra and a peacock?
They’re a different species, Zebras are Mbuna, though a less aggressive species of Mbuna.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your yellow fish is not a zebra, ar least not pure zebra. Could very well be a mutt with zebra and yellow lab. Happens quite often among mbuna.

You probably won’t be able to get an exact species for the peacocks you have. When they are in “mixed peacock” tanks that is because they are a mutts. Sometimes you get pure species but often times not.

Peacocks and many species of haps look the same when they’re young. Silver with vertical stripes. As for their gender, wait till they’re 3in long. Males will be showing more color and you can try venting them if you want.

I have 2in OB peacocks that are showing a good amount if color on their gill plates and even on their bodies. You can definitely tell by their attitudes+color which ones are male

fissh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your yellow fish looks like nicely colored yellow Lab, The rest of your fish look like assorted peacocks. You have both male and female. None of them are OB (orange blotch) peacocks.

DSCN5150.JPG

New Threads