Excitement! EXCITEMENT! MTS temporary satisfaction

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So..!
How does a fish addict get extremely excited AND temporarily satisfy their tank cravings?

Why... THEY BUY A NEW TANK FOR AN UBER CHEAP PRICE!!!!

OMG. I am crazy happy and excited.

4ft tank, I estimate it to be about 200L. It's currently fresh water but it has live coral??? Comes with plants, driftwood, two giant pieces of coral, a overhead light, medium wattage (forgotten already) and a huge canister filter. 2x 12cm clown loaches, 4x large gouramis (biggest I've ever seen, haven't id'd them yet, about 15cm long?) and about 5x orange/red and black platys.

Also has a solid wood stand AND!!! He may be throwing in his smaller tanks (a 40L and a 10L) for giggles.

Oh so very excited. All this for $250 AUD. Which is CHEAP! And to think, he was confused by how ecstatic I was about the tank on the phone.

I pick it up tomorrow Will give pics tomorrow night.

Mmm the small tanks will be good. the 10L will be a planted shrimp tank, and the 40L will either be 2 bettas or some white clouds.

Edit:
Well this is the gourami, but have not actually found a name yet. Still looking.
Looks a bit like a pearl, but one had a vivid blue strip, another orange and another red and black.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
congratulations, I cant wait for pictures.

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good find!
You must be pretty excited

but how does live coral survive in fresh water?

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great find. That is one pretty fish.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
What a gorgeous fish!

Congrats on the great find. Can't wait to see the pictures!

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WoW! I didn't think pearls got that big. Send a pic when you get it! And the tanks of course.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning!

What a great find! I'd be excited too. I'll be looking forward to your updates and photos.

Have fun!

Ken

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah honestly the fish are just a bit smaller than my hand (I have huge hands for a woman ;P)

I looked up fresh water coral. Apparently it exists, but in rarely. So I dunno what it is.
He basically said that its a little faded at the moment, but if I increase the light or give it some direct sunlight it will colour up again in a few weeks.

I'm a lil worried about the gouramis. It was quite obvious that there are too many for the tank. And they've been fighting because all their fins with nipped. Might have to shuffle my dwarf gourami into a small tank and put the big gourami in his place, and move the tetras into the new small tanks. Still exciting Apparently they've bred for him before too.

Cant wait to post pics. I have another tank I havent posted too

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fantastic find. Congrats!

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love when stuff is uber, good job on finding that deal.

My Pearl is probably 4" long and 3" top to bottom. His feelers gotta be close to 5". His name is Frankie and he the king of the 29 gallon.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
arty0024:arty0024:

Sweet, Congrats! Look forward to pics!

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, now that I have it home and set up (I have pics im just slack hehe)

It's maybe 220L? Has 2 pearl gourami's, 2 gold gourami's, 1 clown loach and 8 red with black tail platys. I think they're both breeding pairs o_O The pearls hang out together, and the golds together. One pearl is def male, he has the markers. Taken some pics of them, but theyre majorly faded so I'll take more later.

Also got 2 small 5L tanks (yay bettas! gonna put 2 females I wanna breed in them)
and a 30L bowfront which will be my betta Howl's tank. My 20L which is still bein shipped up will be used to breed him Cleaning out the spare room this weekend to turn into a fish room.

Edit:
Clown loaches like schooling, but I'm worried the tank is a bit too small for them.
4ft long, about 1foot deep, and 1.5feet high. Just gave it a rough measure since I can't find a tape measure.
Can I fit 1 or 2 more clowns in do you think?
I'm not too worried about all the gourami's, apparently they've been living together for a few years. Tank definitely needs some redecorating to give them territory though.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All that for $250! That sort of value is even worth moving to Darwin for....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I figured that right the 48x12x18 inch tank is 45 gallons. Much too small for clown Loaches. They are very active, get very large, need to be in groups of three or more, need lots of swimming room lengthwise as well as depth. They are wonderful, intelligent fish and you would love them. Here's some more information as well as wonderful pictures
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Carol

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree that the clown loaches would be too big for that tank. I saw a full grown one once and it was huge!

Can't wait to see the pics!

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I believe the gourami is a pearl, just a very large one at that. The colors may just be light reflecting off the highly reflective scales.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah they do have a mother of pearlish shine now, with spots of bright iridescent scales. lovely. I have 1 male and 1 female pearl, still can't tell with the golds.

Oh PICS!

These ones are of the stuff once I got it home.

Attachments

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is Howl in the bowfront I picked up. He's so cute. He dances back and forth in the tank. Actually has a filter now

Attachments

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Beautiful betta!
cute doggie too

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Haha yeah Jazz tried to schlurp the fish when they were in the tub.

I actually had a kingfisher trying to eat my platys. Was still setting up, had just released all the fish and was still shuffling the plants between the tanks. So I had the cover off. I'm in my room scrounging through my stored aquarium stuff (does anyone else have like 7 air pumps and 1bazillion airstones stuffed in their wardrobe?!?) and mum starts screaming coz this bird is on the edge of my tank goen for the platys!!
Gonna have to get a special cover made as there are gaps in this one. Evil birdies.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads