Excited with my new 135g tank.

treve
Update: Excited with my new 135g tank.

HI all,
It has been a good day I have been on Craigslist a while now and looking for a good deal.
Well I found one and am totally happy I ended up getting a 135G tank in good shape a beautiful stand with a Fluval Fx5 filter, heaters and a lot more accessories all for $350.
I got the set up home this eve cleaned it filled with water and am happy to say the filter works great and more importantly no leaks in the tank.
I won't be setting it up until we move to our new home over the summer but it will be ready and waiting.
Just wanted to share with you .

Advertisement
harpua2002
Nice, the 135 gallon has a great footprint. What are your plans for the tank?

Borisbbadd
Cool !!!

Advertisement
AlyeskaGirl
That is a nice deal! Congratz!

I've got the FX5 on my 125g and I am happy with it. Yeah, what are your plans for stocking?

treve
I am going to move my Lake MalawI Mbuna from my 90 along with the rock to the 135 and get some nice peacocks for the the 90.
I am still on the look out for more deals I check the adds faithfully every day.
The plan is to have a minI Fish room

Advertisement
Brainlady
Oh, so cool!!!! bet you can't wait for the summer!!

Hsunami
Woot! gratz wish I had a 135 gallon tank. LOL my 100 gall not even filled with fish yet seem so small. LOL

Advertisement
claudicles
The plan is to have a minI Fish room

With a 90 and a 135 your fish room won't be so "mini" Can't wait to see it. ;D

Aquarist
Good morning!

Nice! Congrats on the find.

I'll be looking forward to your updates. Have fun!

Ken

treve
Thank you,
So all is good this morning filter still going strong and no leaks.
Will dry it out and will give the frame and stand a fresh coat of paint over the next couple of weeks, and I might reseal the four corners top to bottom with fresh silicone.

oshawer
congrats
I just started the hobby 4 month ago with a 47 gallon ( 180 liter ) fresh water tank.
I rally wana get a bigger one but thinking of getting much more experience first.
cant wait to see ur new tank

good luck & enjoy

harpua2002
Thank you,
So all is good this morning filter still going strong and no leaks.
Will dry it out and will give the frame and stand a fresh coat of paint over the next couple of weeks, and I might reseal the four corners top to bottom with fresh silicone.

If you choose to do this you will need to strip all the seals from the inside of the tank and reseal the whole thing. New silicone does not adhere well to old.

treve
Thanks for the heads up harpuna, I was aware of that and I have blades and silicone by the plenty.
I probably could leave it as it is but the guy had the tank by a big window and the silicone does not look the cleanest and I feel like I should replace the old silicone with fresh clean layer.
The bottom was already resealed is it ok just to do the sides?

Thank you.

harpua2002
I've always done the whole thing (albeit, never on a 135G! LOL). I would be afraid that the silicone would hold where the old meets the new.

The largest tank I have resealed is a 75 gallon. Stripping the seals on a 135 is not a job I envy!

treve
I have time on my side so when I do get finished I will fill it and test it again and hope it will not fall apart .
Thanks for the input.

treve
I've always done the whole thing (albeit, never on a 135G! LOL). I would be afraid that the silicone would hold where the old meets the new.

The largest tank I have resealed is a 75 gallon. Stripping the seals on a 135 is not a job I envy!

Started stripping the old seals last night and it is not a lot of fun but got it finished and I am gonna tape it tonight for nice straight edges and hopefully apply the fresh silicone tomorrow night.
I want to clean to old marks from the old silicone of the tank before I tape and apply hte new silicone, water and a pad won't remove it any idea what product would be safe to use to clean these marks?

fishnob
Vinigar/water mix with a razor blade should do the trick. I did this on a smaller tank. I put the vingar water mix in a spray bottle, sprayed it on and let it sit for about 20 mins and then went at it with a blade. It is very time consuming, but it did work for me.

Redshark1
Of course you're excited!

I'm excited with your new tank and i'm not really all that excitable!

Great buy mate.

treve
Tried the vinegar water mix and it worked great on the black plastic to get the calcium build up off.

The tank was well dried out so I got it taped up before dinner this eve and I applied the silicone after dinner and it came out beautiful I am very happy with it .

Tomorrow I am going to sand the trim and the stand and am going to refinish it, plus I am thinking of painting a blue background? Not sure yet.

will give it a few days and fill it so I can check for leaks.

Danni
Tried the vinegar water mix and it worked great on the black plastic to get the calcium build up off.

The tank was well dried out so I got it taped up before dinner this eve and I applied the silicone after dinner and it came out beautiful I am very happy with it .

Tomorrow I am going to sand the trim and the stand and am going to refinish it, plus I am thinking of painting a blue background? Not sure yet.

will give it a few days and fill it so I can check for leaks.

We just did all this on a 90- good times. LOL We ended up painting the trim so it looks like hammered metal pewter and redid the stand as well- black and painted a black background. Loads of work but worth it in the end especially for the money we paid for it.

I like the FX5- you should be pretty happy with it.

Congrats on the find!

Chances
Some aquarium silicone takes 7-14 days before its fully cured & of course temperature plays a big factor in the curing process as well. The colder it is the longer it takes to cure. I don't see the cold being a factor with were your living . That's a nice find man, congrats!! Can't wait to see some pics of it stocked

treve
We just did all this on a 90- good times. LOL We ended up painting the trim so it looks like hammered metal pewter and redid the stand as well- black and painted a black background. Loads of work but worth it in the end especially for the money we paid for it.

I like the FX5- you should be pretty happy with it.

Congrats on the find!

DannI how do you like the black back ground? I am not sure to go with blue or black? Congrats on the 90

Chances I will take your advice and give it a bit extra time to cure since it will not be used for a while and I have time on my side.

Thank you.

Chances
It depends on the fish your going to stalk to with. You don't want the black or blues to hide your fishs colors or blend in with the back ground. You could always get the black and blue and do a small test peice of both and rest them against your back ground and leave them for a week or so and everyday look at the back ground before you make your final decision. A glass shop should give you a cut off for free. I'm currently doing this with 3 types of blue and a black, cause once you paint it your kinda stick with it. Food for thought.

iloveengl
Ahhh That's a brilliant find! Congrats on the new tank. Looking forward to later updates.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
harpua2002
Replies
Views
GouramiGirl100
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views