Excited to be joining

Jessmajik

Kia ora, I am from New Zealand and am very new to aquariums. My 10 year old did a project on Axolotls then asked if she could get one. I did some research and then saw how much time it takes to cycle a tank and said no. Then our country went into another covid-19 lockdown and someone on our local facebook page could not look after their axolotl anymore and needed to find it a home....so....we now have an axolotl. She was called Brian but my daughter has renamed her Speckles. We joined a NZ Axolotl FB group who have been helpful but who have also said our Axy isn't in great condition so we are cycling her tank and have her tubbed. It is a big learning curve but it gives us something very interesting to learn during lockdown. I will admit to finding the cycling a bit frustrating now after 3 weeks (hence joining this forum for help!). I found a thread with some of the questions that I had but I have some variations so I will ask again, I hope nobody minds and that we can find our way through this to the other side where our Axy can go into her old (but new) home. Its all worth it for that cute Axy smile!

WRWAquarium

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are some tank cycling gurus here who can help you for sure. Can you detail a little more how you are cycling the tank and what your water looks like once tested?

devsi

Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm fairly new to the fish keeping hobby (~2 months), but I've been through a lot of the process of learning about the Nitrogen cycle etc, so happy to answer any questions I can.

mimo91088

Welcome aboard! Good place to get info here

KingOscar

Welcome. I hope you and your daughter enjoy your new friend! Good on you for both rescuing and doing your homework.

Dennis57

Hi and Welcome to Fishlore.

We will all try and help you out get started on keeping your Axolotl happy.

Jessmajik

Thank you all so much for your welcomes...I feel like I'm in the right place!
Regarding cycling our tank....We have tubbed our Axy and are doing water changes every day. We are very lucky that we have a natural spring on our property so we don't have chlorine in our water. Our natural water doesn't have ammonia or nitrites but it does have between 5-10 nitrates.

Anyway, we started cycling with Dr Timms ammonia 3 weeks ago. Using the directions from our NZ Axy FB page. We dosed up to 4ppm of Ammonia then tested every day or every second day, slowly our ammonia is going down but nitrites and nitrates are already up after the first day. When our Nitrates got to 80ppm after 10 days we did a 75% water change. However our nitrates are still sitting high at 40ppm and not coming down so we have been doing water changes almost every day since then, this brings Ammonia down to 0 but Nitrites still stay up too anywhere between 0.25 and 2.0.

So our questions are:

Do we dose with ammonia only when it comes down to 0? or before that?

And because we are doing water changes its bringing the ammonia down but this doesn't mean our tank is cycled because the water change has caused this so do we need to keep doing water changes each time the nitrates spike or can we let them keep going up?
Even though our nitrates are still high it is not bringing the ammonia down or nitrites to 0 yet so high nitrates does not equal high bacteria?

Also, when we did the 75% water change the nitrates are not going down to recommended level for an Axy so what will we do once we do get cycled...or will that balance out once we are cycled?

Lastly....how much lonnnnger....ahhhhhhhhh, hahahahaha ahhhhhhhh (just going slightly mad! :)
Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm fairly new to the fish keeping hobby (~2 months), but I've been through a lot of the process of learning about the Nitrogen cycle etc, so happy to answer any questions I can.
Thank you, I have posted again on this thread, any help much appreciated!
Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are some tank cycling gurus here who can help you for sure. Can you detail a little more how you are cycling the tank and what your water looks like once tested?
Thank you, I have written more on the thread explaining where we are up to with our cycling, any help much appreciated. I wondered if I should pop a thread in one of the forums that relates to this but I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet!
Welcome aboard! Good place to get info here
Thanks so much!
Welcome. I hope you and your daughter enjoy your new friend! Good on you for both rescuing and doing your homework.
Thank you, yes it has been a big learning curve but all we want to do is make our Axy a happy chappy. Unfortunately she has no feathers on her fronds so I don't think shes in great condition. They were feeding her liver and I don't think her tank was cycled.

Thank you, that is our goal, appreciate any help with that!

Thank you, that is our goal, appreciate any help with that!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
Pythia
Replies
Views