Excited About House Plants - Page 5

Addie42

29ECD2AE-A126-43B1-ADBE-7601AEA39596.jpeg
64B1D94B-0FFE-42A4-923A-719E2382264A.jpeg
53505B74-75C0-4B7E-91A2-CD2582C38D92.jpeg Peeked around a plant store and the discounted plants, they gave me 3 rough shape orchids for free!! My coworker wanted one so I let him have it for his gf
2 (3) free plants!!! Not sure if they’ll survive after I dealt with the rotten roots and poor potting medium but I can hope !! I like orchid leaves and roots

BReefer97

FB07E094-AACC-4714-A3A5-16B9BC2FDC1A.jpeg
F8F076FE-916D-43F2-A954-491925274C81.jpeg Found sedum as a weed on our walk
Now it’s mine I guess lol

Wait, did I really over look the fact that you were walking your cat? :cat: Hahah that’s amazing!! And I hope those orchids do well too! Let us know how they do, I’ve been weary on getting any for myself as I’ve heard they’re pretty sensitive and I get far too attached to plants I like a lot. Really grinds my gears when they decide die when I just want to give them eternal life hahah.

loneminx

53505B74-75C0-4B7E-91A2-CD2582C38D92.jpeg Peeked around a plant store and the discounted plants, they gave me 3 rough shape orchids for free!! My coworker wanted one so I let him have it for his gf
2 (3) free plants!!! Not sure if they’ll survive after I dealt with the rotten roots and poor potting medium but I can hope !! I like orchid leaves and roots
I'm curious to hear how this works out! Those are what all of the orchids at my mom's look like basically lol. I'm going tomorrow and can take a picture if I remember. One is mine and I'd love for them all to have a happy life again. Neither of us have a clue what to do though!

Addie42

B068AFA8-E169-4E8B-9A27-131D24795CCA.jpeg
0AF701AA-AB21-4E47-BD8E-D9C448DBA468.jpeg Got me some plants on my lunch break. 3.50 each!! Not too shabby
And I got this teeny tiny pot for 50 cents and put a tiny crassula baby necklace in it.

Addie42

F6284E9F-C034-46DC-B8C3-462C9D798BB9.jpeg
1DC9BAFB-776E-42CE-BE91-6E58959A799B.jpeg
460D58BD-C55F-4B1C-8E60-E41208A85CDB.jpeg My lil umbrella tree is just so cute. I got it (because it reminded me of my brother) a month or two ago and it’s just trucking along so nicely
The last pic is my power couple, African mask and Stromanthe triostar. I’ve been struggling a tad making the Stromanthe happy and have no crispy edges but I guess most people endure this emotional torture with it too

Addie42

9F5470FD-913A-4FD8-82BF-746B95B0AF71.jpeg
5DAD13B9-CD76-4362-BA6E-16D1335C8E5E.jpeg Got 2 Hoyas for 5 dollars off kijijI from an awesome lady!! Before she showed me the plants she made us do a little tour of her garden which was fun. She didn’t speak a lot of English so I just smiled and nodded (as I usually do). I got home and put them in the same pot. I’m stoked to have a hoya

The bottom pic is a hoya that I really wanted but it was 32 dollars!!! I always need to remind myself that more likely than not, you can find a plant cheaper somewhere else if you can look hard enough

loneminx

Oh! How often do you all use fish tank water to water plants? Like, every time you water? Only on occasions? I'm afraid I'm going to overdo it...

9F5470FD-913A-4FD8-82BF-746B95B0AF71.jpeg
5DAD13B9-CD76-4362-BA6E-16D1335C8E5E.jpeg Got 2 Hoyas for 5 dollars off kijijI from an awesome lady!! Before she showed me the plants she made us do a little tour of her garden which was fun. She didn’t speak a lot of English so I just smiled and nodded (as I usually do). I got home and put them in the same pot. I’m stoked to have a hoya

The bottom pic is a hoya that I really wanted but it was 32 dollars!!! I always need to remind myself that more likely than not, you can find a plant cheaper somewhere else if you can look hard enough
That's so cool! I love hoyas.

mattgirl

Oh! How often do you all use fish tank water to water plants? Like, every time you water? Only on occasions? I'm afraid I'm going to overdo it...

That's so cool! I love hoyas.
Fish tank water is all my house plants ever get so I am sure you won't overdo it unless you over water plants that don't like to be soggy.

loneminx

Fish tank water is all my house plants ever get so I am sure you won't overdo it unless you over water plants that don't like to be soggy.
That is great to know because that's what I've done the past couple of weeks! Some plants look happier, some look no different lol.

david1978

Mine would still die. Lol.

Addie42

21F839B9-DA7E-4C4A-B36F-A7E50BA5FE40.jpeg My most exciting house plant.... cat grass!!

kallililly1973

B068AFA8-E169-4E8B-9A27-131D24795CCA.jpeg
0AF701AA-AB21-4E47-BD8E-D9C448DBA468.jpeg Got me some plants on my lunch break. 3.50 each!! Not too shabby
And I got this teeny tiny pot for 50 cents and put a tiny crassula baby necklace in it.
Very nice. I have the same exact plants. Can you tell me the names of the broad leaf green and purple plant and the one to the right with the green and white sort of heart shaped leaves. Thanks!

Addie42

Very nice. I have the same exact plants. Can you tell me the names of the broad leaf green and purple plant and the one to the right with the green and white sort of heart shaped leaves. Thanks!

The 3 plants are prayer plant, umbrella tree and arrowhead
I think ur talking about the prayer plant and the arrowhead (syngonium)

kallililly1973

The 3 plants are prayer plant, umbrella tree and arrowhead
I think ur talking about the prayer plant and the arrowhead (syngonium)
Yes those were the ones Thanks!

BReefer97

My boyfriend and I fought a bit today so he bought me this Begonia Rex... still a little salty but......... it’s a really pretty begonia....I like begonias....

E44E1A8E-5FF5-445B-8603-411F7F68B0DC.jpeg

And my blushing philodendron has finally started to do something! I’ve had him for over a year now and he’s only ever had one single leaf. I repotted him to a much smaller pot and it seems to be working in his favor.

2D6A5431-A601-411E-866D-39EFE86C5EA8.jpeg

My wandering jew is getting bigger every day

8E9553E5-8C1B-4E79-8EFE-1A10C3CC4014.jpeg

And finally this little Mimosa tree I’m starting indoors. It’s closed up for the night but still so neat!

8510E08E-B864-4F06-96FF-B70A54723BAA.jpeg

loneminx

My boyfriend and I fought a bit today so he bought me this Begonia Rex... still a little salty but......... it’s a really pretty begonia....I like begonias....

E44E1A8E-5FF5-445B-8603-411F7F68B0DC.jpeg

And my blushing philodendron has finally started to do something! I’ve had him for over a year now and he’s only ever had one single leaf. I repotted him to a much smaller pot and it seems to be working in his favor.

2D6A5431-A601-411E-866D-39EFE86C5EA8.jpeg

My wandering jew is getting bigger every day

8E9553E5-8C1B-4E79-8EFE-1A10C3CC4014.jpeg

And finally this little Mimosa tree I’m starting indoors. It’s closed up for the night but still so neat!

8510E08E-B864-4F06-96FF-B70A54723BAA.jpeg
I looove mimosa trees. They're messy but smell amazing!

Also, I love everything else.

BReefer97

I looove mimosa trees. They're messy but smell amazing!

Also, I love everything else.

Thank you! I really love mimosa trees as well. I took a few of them from my buddy’s house so hopefully I can get at least one or two going good.

The Rex begonia is a “Red Kiss.” I realize the picture I took doesn’t do it much justice. It’s black and velvety, deep red. Think I may have to grab another one of these because it’s so dark and gothic

5A4A0F68-FCA1-45D1-AE5B-6FDF571213C3.jpeg

58CAEF94-E9D3-48F5-ADF2-5279283885F1.jpeg

E34C059F-ABB6-4395-9BFC-6F7E5F12ED02.jpeg

loneminx

Thank you! I really love mimosa trees as well. I took a few of them from my buddy’s house so hopefully I can get at least one or two going good.

The Rex begonia is a “Red Kiss.” I realize the picture I took doesn’t do it much justice. It’s black and velvety, deep red. Think I may have to grab another one of these because it’s so dark and gothic

5A4A0F68-FCA1-45D1-AE5B-6FDF571213C3.jpeg

58CAEF94-E9D3-48F5-ADF2-5279283885F1.jpeg

E34C059F-ABB6-4395-9BFC-6F7E5F12ED02.jpeg
Oh yeah that is so gorgeous!!!

I feel like I need to research begonias now. My previous experience is only with wax begonias in a flower bed and I am not a fan lol.

BReefer97

Oh yeah that is so gorgeous!!!

I feel like I need to research begonias now. My previous experience is only with wax begonias in a flower bed and I am not a fan lol.

Thank you! I've never heard of wax begonias, a quick Google search makes them seem way different than I would have pictured. Look in to Rex Begonia's there are so many different kinds to choose from. They don't need very much light and only ever need watered when the leaves start to droop down and the soil is dry. They do very well in small pots! Steve's Leaves website has a lot of really cool varieties to check out so you can see how crazy different they can be. Rex Begonia's are easily my favorite house plant

Quick note, as I was typing this I went off and did some researching. I came across this link I thought I would share with you :
https://statebystategardening.com/state.php/midwest/stories/a_world_of_differences_among_begonias/

Addie42

Thank you! I've never heard of wax begonias, a quick Google search makes them seem way different than I would have pictured. Look in to Rex Begonia's there are so many different kinds to choose from. They don't need very much light and only ever need watered when the leaves start to droop down and the soil is dry. They do very well in small pots! Steve's Leaves website has a lot of really cool varieties to check out so you can see how crazy different they can be. Rex Begonia's are easily my favorite house plant

Quick note, as I was typing this I went off and did some researching. I came across this link I thought I would share with you :
https://statebystategardening.com/state.php/midwest/stories/a_world_of_differences_among_begonias/

One plant on my wish list is the polka dot angel wing begonia
And rattlesnake calatheas too

loneminx

Um... I want all of the begonias now.

Addie42

2E7FBF80-5598-4F2F-81A0-1311734DCB48.jpeg I love my African mask. It’s been being really good to me

BReefer97

I haven’t been able to post anything for a few days because pictures won’t work on my browser, I’ve had to download the app and I’m still figuring it out haha

Got this English ivy today I really liked the pot too and couldn’t really pass it up.

IMG_0610.JPG

And I got this beautiful caladium. I’m not sure what kind it is so if anyone has any ideas.

IMG_0611.JPG

And my mom got me this sweet potato vine on clearance for $1. Few people know they do well indoors as well! They’re one of my absolute favorites.

IMG_0612.JPG

My boyfriend and I agreed this is enough houseplants for now so there won’t be much updating from me other than growth and to see what cool things you guys get!

This is my plant shelf. I have my Rex begonias, philodendron and alocasia on a crate. Don’t mind the chameleon sticker, there’s something a little inappropriate there

IMG_0609.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 102

loneminx

For a minute I thought you had a real lizardy pet hahaha. Nice sticker choice; very appropriate looking in the picture.

And I love your plants! I have learned that the rex begonias are toxic to cats and have experienced a certain level of devastation because of that. My circle plant has recently been tasted and I'm not sure which cat was the culprit but I have my suspicions it's the one that should be around for the next 13 years or so.

Maybe someday I will figure out a way to keep plants safe....

BReefer97

For a minute I thought you had a real lizardy pet hahaha. Nice sticker choice; very appropriate looking in the picture.

And I love your plants! I have learned that the rex begonias are toxic to cats and have experienced a certain level of devastation because of that. My circle plant has recently been tasted and I'm not sure which cat was the culprit but I have my suspicions it's the one that should be around for the next 13 years or so.

Maybe someday I will figure out a way to keep plants safe....

Thank you I’m glad other people share the same love for house plants because my boyfriend isn’t too pumped about all the new additions. I had probably 3 plants at the beginning of the year and now I have well over 20 ...so I mean I get it...but.. I have 4 pages of plants on my wishlist. Haha.

And awww!!! That’s a bummer! I never even thought to mention that I keep all of my house plants in our room and we don’t allow the cat in anymore because of all the reptiles..and he does like to eat plants. But oh well! There are loads of other tubular plants that are nontoxic to cats! I understand not taking the risk for sure!

Addie42

73886DF4-2219-4315-817E-31B72AD26659.jpeg 52 days of growth
I didn’t even realize how much this dude was growing until I looked at the before pic

loneminx

73886DF4-2219-4315-817E-31B72AD26659.jpeg 52 days of growth
I didn’t even realize how much this dude was growing until I looked at the before pic
Wow! I am still looking one of those haha.

I should take before and after pictures of plants. That's very rewarding to see!

loneminx

Thank you I’m glad other people share the same love for house plants because my boyfriend isn’t too pumped about all the new additions. I had probably 3 plants at the beginning of the year and now I have well over 20 ...so I mean I get it...but.. I have 4 pages of plants on my wishlist. Haha.

And awww!!! That’s a bummer! I never even thought to mention that I keep all of my house plants in our room and we don’t allow the cat in anymore because of all the reptiles..and he does like to eat plants. But oh well! There are loads of other tubular plants that are nontoxic to cats! I understand not taking the risk for sure!
I have 14 house plants and then I am propogating more currently lol. They take up a chunk of space so I can see why someone could be annoyed but.... I feel like I need more. They make me happy!

Having a plant wishlist is a very good idea! I need to start one of those!

stella1979

I can't believe I just found this!! I cannot wait to read the whole thing but a quick skI'm (admittedly looking at all the pics but not reading much) has revealed soooo many beauties!

Ermmm, aside from a planted gecko terrarium I don't have house plants... because I keep houseplants outside! This is one of the few things I love about NOT having winters. My collection includes 30 various orchids (there's a thread about 'em), golden pothos, satin pothos, an asparagus fern, sansevieria, various succulents, and a gorgeous Rex that I just got yesterday. I'm tryin' something a little weird with him and will tell y'all all about it when I can get pics.

For now, just wanted to chime in to say...

I'm curious to hear how this works out! Those are what all of the orchids at my mom's look like basically lol. I'm going tomorrow and can take a picture if I remember. One is mine and I'd love for them all to have a happy life again. Neither of us have a clue what to do though!
I'm your orchid girl!

2019-03-18-16-27-39.jpg
2019-06-01-20-18-46.jpg
2019-06-01-20-17-47.jpg
2019-06-01-20-13-51.jpg
2019-06-01-20-15-37.jpg
2019-05-06-16-29-00.jpg
2019-05-20-09-09-33.jpg
2019-06-01-20-20-42.jpg

loneminx

I can't believe I just found this!! I cannot wait to read the whole thing but a quick skI'm (admittedly looking at all the pics but not reading much) has revealed soooo many beauties!

Ermmm, aside from a planted gecko terrarium I don't have house plants... because I keep houseplants outside! This is one of the few things I love about NOT having winters. My collection includes 30 various orchids (there's a thread about 'em), golden pothos, satin pothos, an asparagus fern, sansevieria, and a gorgeous Rex that I just got yesterday. I'm tryin' something a little weird with him and will tell y'all all about it when I can get pics.

For now, just wanted to chime in to say...

I'm your orchid girl!

2019-03-18-16-27-39.jpg
2019-06-01-20-18-46.jpg
2019-06-01-20-17-47.jpg
2019-06-01-20-13-51.jpg
2019-06-01-20-15-37.jpg
2019-05-06-16-29-00.jpg
2019-05-20-09-09-33.jpg
2019-06-01-20-20-42.jpg
Beautiful!! Where do you live?? I mean if you are comfortable sharing. I just want to live in a place with no winter haha!

I keep forgetting.to take pictures of the orchids. I will try to remember tomorrow. Maybe you can help me figure out how to help them live!

stella1979

Beautiful!! Where do you live?? I mean if you are comfortable sharing. I just want to live in a place with no winter haha!

I keep forgetting.to take pictures of the orchids. I will try to remember tomorrow. Maybe you can help me figure out how to help them live!
Thank you! I don't mind sharing at all... I've spent nearly my entire life in SoFlo, lol, south Florida that is. Grew up in Key Largo but darnit, housing prices there are through the roof. Hubs works in Key Largo and we live about 30 minutes north in Homestead... which in turn, is about 40 minutes south of Miami.

I was a mad gardener during the 5 years I lived in the mountains of western NC because I was totally enamored with the flowers I could grow there. Flowers like tulips, lilies, daffodils, foxglove, clematis, and many more. I'd only seen those in photos or flower shops before because so many annuals need the dormancy only winter can bring. Plus, digging in fertile earth is nice... digging in SoFlo requires a pick-ax at least and is decidedly not nice.

Personally, I'd happily grow houseplants and the orchid collection inside because I like a little bit of winter... but don't we all want what we don't have?

loneminx

Thank you! I don't mind sharing at all... I've spent nearly my entire life in SoFlo, lol, south Florida that is. Grew up in Key Largo but darnit, housing prices there are through the roof. Hubs works in Key Largo and we live about 30 minutes north in Homestead... which in turn, is about 40 minutes south of Miami.

I was a mad gardener during the 5 years I lived in the mountains of western NC because I was totally enamored with the flowers I could grow there. Flowers like tulips, lilies, daffodils, foxglove, clematis, and many more. I'd only seen those in photos or flower shops before because so many annuals need the dormancy only winter can bring. Plus, digging in fertile earth is nice... digging in SoFlo requires a pick-ax at least and is decidedly not nice.

Personally, I'd happily grow houseplants and the orchid collection inside because I like a little bit of winter... but don't we all want what we don't have?
Haha my dream is to move to Gainesville, FL. I suppose I would miss tulips and daffodils. Didn't even think of that.... But the bougainvillea I could grow!!!

I probably wouldn't hate winter if we had sunny days instead of all gray all of the time. But you are right, grass is always greener somehow!

stella1979

Haha my dream is to move to Gainesville, FL. I suppose I would miss tulips and daffodils. Didn't even think of that.... But the bougainvillea I could grow!!!

I probably wouldn't hate winter if we had sunny days instead of all gray all of the time. But you are right, grass is always greener somehow!
I'm sure Gainsville is really nice. I've visited Tallahassee and the Panhandle, Jacksonville, the theme park area and, of course, the Keys and the Everglades. Just about a week ago, for the first time ever, I traveled across and explored the center of the state starting in Cape Canaveral and stopping in Spring Hill, which is north of Tampa and where my parents live. That area is beautiful, full of hills, woods, and enormous old live oaks that are positively dripping with spanish moss. I wouldn't mind a move north myself.

Idk about spring bulbs but I'd imagine bougainvillea would grow there just as well as it does here... which is often too well. That beast needs a firm hand around here or it grows into a gnarly and very dangerous... idk what to call it when it is too wild looking to be called a shrub, tall as a house, with huge, evil looking thorns. Gnarly is the word that comes to mind, and I learned to give this plant it's space at a very young age. Lol, more recently a buddy shared a picture of a tiny one, artfully grown into a bonsai-like shape and in full bloom. This friend lives in the UK, found it in a fancy conservatory at a museum, and had no idea what he was looking at. He posted a pic and seemed in awe of this 'rare' tropical plant. It was gorgeous, of course, but all I could do was laugh, then show him a picture of a neighbor of mine that had also artfully grown bougainvillea over many years. They were in huge pots and also shaped like bonsaI trees... if bonsais were ever nearly 10 feet tall. Just gorgeous... so much so that I cried a little when driving past his home one day a few weeks ago and seeing the trees in pieces, pots turned over, and dirt all over the ground. Idk them well at all, and don't know what that man did to deserve this, but his woman got mad enough one night to go at them with an ax. They were soon cleaned up, most of them re-potted and looking pretty rough, but ready and capable of being gorgeous again. I've got a few orchids like that and this strength to keep on keeping on is one of the many things I love about plants.

And there I go talking too much again. So, how about more pics?

Dendrobium lindleyi, who was a birthday gift from Mom this past March.
2019-03-31-19-40-23.jpg

Dendrobium cuthbertsoniI I do not own this beauty. She was awarded, displayed, and drooled over by me at a recent expo. I would like to try someday but she will not tolerate being outdoors in my climate... yet needs constant humidity which can be difficult indoors. Hmmm, I do have a lovely large jar/terrarium that is currently unused, but she also needs good air circulation.

2019-05-18-15-39-14.jpg

I know this is a houseplant thread but I've gotta show my first attempt at an outdoor container garden. It quickly went from this...

2019-04-20-15-21-55.jpg
to this. That's a dwarf papyrus hybrid called prince tut, surrounded by daybreak charm petunias, and goldilocks creeping jenny. All are hybrids I guess. This was also my first online order for plants I would keep out in the Florida sun and all were purchased from Proven Winners. That's my pineapple over on the left.

20190520_154159-1.jpg

Okay, lol, back to houseplants. Here's the terrarium. Eeek, I didn't do proper research on that fern, later learning that it could grow to be dangerous with thorns and is mildly toxic, perhaps not so mildly for a baby gecko. It's since been removed and a nice portion of the Sansevieria is being prepped for terrarium use to replace it.

2019-04-18-17-41-23.jpg

I really like the Calathea lancifolia, aka, Rattlesnake plant. The lichen growing on thin flakey bark just beneath it is pretty rad too.

2019-05-26-14-10-17.jpg

Love Fittonia too.

2019-05-26-14-11-47.jpg

And, of course, I LOOOVE the string of turtles! (Peperomia prostrata)

2019-05-26-14-29-36.jpg

Satin Pothos and a tiny tail. Also, a silicone beer saver cap/perfect baby gecko feeder as recommended by BReefer97

2019-05-27-12-19-29.jpg

Can't show off Pan's plants without showing off our gorgeous little Pan the Crestie.

2019-05-26-10-05-22.jpg

stella1979

Live Oaks and Spanish moss.

2019-06-13-19-43-37.jpg
2019-06-13-19-45-18.jpg
2019-06-13-19-46-43.jpg

loneminx

I'm sure Gainsville is really nice. I've visited Tallahassee and the Panhandle, Jacksonville, the theme park area and, of course, the Keys and the Everglades. Just about a week ago, for the first time ever, I traveled across and explored the center of the state starting in Cape Canaveral and stopping in Spring Hill, which is north of Tampa and where my parents live. That area is beautiful, full of hills, woods, and enormous old live oaks that are positively dripping with spanish moss. I wouldn't mind a move north myself.

Idk about spring bulbs but I'd imagine bougainvillea would grow there just as well as it does here... which is often too well. That beast needs a firm hand around here or it grows into a gnarly and very dangerous... idk what to call it when it is too wild looking to be called a shrub, tall as a house, with huge, evil looking thorns. Gnarly is the word that comes to mind, and I learned to give this plant it's space at a very young age. Lol, more recently a buddy shared a picture of a tiny one, artfully grown into a bonsai-like shape and in full bloom. This friend lives in the UK, found it in a fancy conservatory at a museum, and had no idea what he was looking at. He posted a pic and seemed in awe of this 'rare' tropical plant. It was gorgeous, of course, but all I could do was laugh, then show him a picture of a neighbor of mine that had also artfully grown bougainvillea over many years. They were in huge pots and also shaped like bonsaI trees... if bonsais were ever nearly 10 feet tall. Just gorgeous... so much so that I cried a little when driving past his home one day a few weeks ago and seeing the trees in pieces, pots turned over, and dirt all over the ground. Idk them well at all, and don't know what that man did to deserve this, but his woman got mad enough one night to go at them with an ax. They were soon cleaned up, most of them re-potted and looking pretty rough, but ready and capable of being gorgeous again. I've got a few orchids like that and this strength to keep on keeping on is one of the many things I love about plants.

And there I go talking too much again. So, how about more pics?

Dendrobium lindleyi, who was a birthday gift from Mom this past March.
2019-03-31-19-40-23.jpg

Dendrobium cuthbertsoniI I do not own this beauty. She was awarded, displayed, and drooled over by me at a recent expo. I would like to try someday but she will not tolerate being outdoors in my climate... yet needs constant humidity which can be difficult indoors. Hmmm, I do have a lovely large jar/terrarium that is currently unused, but she also needs good air circulation.

2019-05-18-15-39-14.jpg

I know this is a houseplant thread but I've gotta show my first attempt at an outdoor container garden. It quickly went from this...

2019-04-20-15-21-55.jpg
to this. That's a dwarf papyrus hybrid called prince tut, surrounded by daybreak charm petunias, and goldilocks creeping jenny. All are hybrids I guess. This was also my first online order for plants I would keep out in the Florida sun and all were purchased from Proven Winners. That's my pineapple over on the left.

20190520_154159-1.jpg

Okay, lol, back to houseplants. Here's the terrarium. Eeek, I didn't do proper research on that fern, later learning that it could grow to be dangerous with thorns and is mildly toxic, perhaps not so mildly for a baby gecko. It's since been removed and a nice portion of the Sansevieria is being prepped for terrarium use to replace it.

2019-04-18-17-41-23.jpg

I really like the Calathea lancifolia, aka, Rattlesnake plant. The lichen growing on thin flakey bark just beneath it is pretty rad too.

2019-05-26-14-10-17.jpg

Love Fittonia too.

2019-05-26-14-11-47.jpg

And, of course, I LOOOVE the string of turtles! (Peperomia prostrata)

2019-05-26-14-29-36.jpg

Satin Pothos and a tiny tail. Also, a silicone beer saver cap/perfect baby gecko feeder as recommended by BReefer97

2019-05-27-12-19-29.jpg

Can't show off Pan's plants without showing off our gorgeous little Pan the Crestie.

2019-05-26-10-05-22.jpg
My bougainvillea lives on my porch in the summer and my bathroom the rest of the year lol. It is not very impressive. I want a monstrous tree bougainvillea though!! I look at pictures of them and they're just so pretty. I don't mind the thorns! My dad tries to kill my mom's every year apparently (or so the joke goes) because he hates them so much. That is heartbreaking that someone would take an axe to them and chop them down!! I'm glad they appear to be recovering.

That's funny about your friend in the UK!!

I would love to go to the Everglades and to swim with manatees and go on a hot air balloon ride. Oh and the Hemmingway house because polydactyl cats. That's my Florida bucket list if I ever do get to move there!

I know you can take bulbs and put them in your fridge (or freezer.... I forget) for a dormancy period, so if you had the room you could do it! I would probably try it.

I want a string of turtles!! It's so cute!! Is that in with your reptile friend?? He's cute!

Okay here are the orchids. I think this one is a goner....
20190620_130951.jpg
20190620_131133.jpg

This one looks better.

20190620_130940.jpg
20190620_131114.jpg

This one slightly better.
20190620_130934.jpg
20190620_131041.jpg

But I don't know how to make them better and my mom admittedly has no clue either. I will take any help I can get!

stella1979

Live Oaks and Spanish moss.
First, I need to say that I know the pics of live oaks and spanish moss don't look quite right. So, I should have said upon posting that it was also raining and very dreary on this day... it rained a lot on vacation. In the original pics, the ferns and the moss all look dark brown to black so I had to brighten the s considerably. In other words, those pics are highly edited.
My bougainvillea lives on my porch in the summer and my bathroom the rest of the year lol. It is not very impressive. I want a monstrous tree bougainvillea though!! I look at pictures of them and they're just so pretty. I don't mind the thorns! My dad tries to kill my mom's every year apparently (or so the joke goes) because he hates them so much. That is heartbreaking that someone would take an axe to them and chop them down!! I'm glad they appear to be recovering.

That's funny about your friend in the UK!!

I would love to go to the Everglades and to swim with manatees and go on a hot air balloon ride. Oh and the Hemmingway house because polydactyl cats. That's my Florida bucket list if I ever do get to move there!

I know you can take bulbs and put them in your fridge (or freezer.... I forget) for a dormancy period, so if you had the room you could do it! I would probably try it.

I want a string of turtles!! It's so cute!! Is that in with your reptile friend?? He's cute!

Okay here are the orchids. I think this one is a goner....
20190620_130951.jpg
20190620_131133.jpg

This one looks better.

20190620_130940.jpg
20190620_131114.jpg

This one slightly better.
20190620_130934.jpg
20190620_131041.jpg

But I don't know how to make them better and my mom admittedly has no clue either. I will take any help I can get!
I don't mind the thorns so much these days either but couldn't keep bougainvillea close because of little ones. Someday I'll have one of those trees though! I'm not sure where you are but I'd take a wild guess that your's probably needs more light and cares less about temperature as long as it's over 65°F or so. Perhaps you might like looking into a dedicated pendant light to hang over yours when it's insude/during less bright times of the year.

Awww, yes, manatees are sweet indeed but here's a fun fact. The are very gassy creatures and boy do the stink!

Yes, the string of turtles is in the terrarium with our crested gecko. I purchased just a few rootless cuttings for cheap on Etsy, rooted them by keeping them in a little container with sphagnum moss that was kept moist, but never so wet that the water puddled inside the container, and 95% covered with plastic wrap. Put it in a semi-shady but bright enough spot on the screened porch. I then used superglue gell to attach the plant to threads of sphag, then glued them to the back wall of the terrarium. The won't get fertilized in there at all, so will grow slowly... but I took a tiny two-leaved portion and threw it in an orchid pot containing constantly moist sphag. It's got a seedling in it so gets just a little bit of ferts for now, but the eventual plan is to have a nice hanging pot full of the stuff.

The Hemingway House is in Key West!! I do love a visit to Key West. Key Largo is home but after I moved out, my parents moved south, living on Big Pine for a while (check out Key Deer!), then Summerland Key, and finally Cudjoe Key. These islands are just north/east of Key West, so during those times, we visited the southernmost island a lot. Then Hurricane Irma came causing great destruction on Cudjoe, ruining many of their things, though thankfully they prepared, then evacuated, and the house was saved. But, they didn't have power for 6 months and no central A/C for nearly a year. All the while they were preparing to leave the Keys for good, saying it was their last time on those tiny islands during hurricane season. They have a lovely home in west central Florida now, so while losing that link to the Keys was bittersweet, they are the reason I have discovered beautiful areas in my own state which I had not seen before.

I am more than glad to help you with your orchids, but don't think I should fill up this thread (more than I have already:rolleyes with orchid advice... or should I? Y'all let me know, lol. For now, I will happily address loneminx 's orchid troubles on my orchid thread, which I will happily fill up with orchid chatter. I'll offer all the help I can for your orchids... tonight, after dinner and getting kiddos to bed.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/stellas-orchid-hobby.353882/

Basil

E8B4D716-23BB-437A-8537-45517C7EF439.jpeg
I know it’s just a grocery store orchid, but it does love the fish water!

Hubby really wants to sell a rental house of two and purchase something in the Keys. We are actually quite fond of Marathon but need to do a bit more research.

loneminx

First, I need to say that I know the pics of live oaks and spanish moss don't look quite right. So, I should have said upon posting that it was also raining and very dreary on this day... it rained a lot on vacation. In the original pics, the ferns and the moss all look dark brown to black so I had to brighten the s considerably. In other words, those pics are highly edited.

I don't mind the thorns so much these days either but couldn't keep bougainvillea close because of little ones. Someday I'll have one of those trees though! I'm not sure where you are but I'd take a wild guess that your's probably needs more light and cares less about temperature as long as it's over 65°F or so. Perhaps you might like looking into a dedicated pendant light to hang over yours when it's insude/during less bright times of the year.

Awww, yes, manatees are sweet indeed but here's a fun fact. The are very gassy creatures and boy do the stink!

Yes, the string of turtles is in the terrarium with our crested gecko. I purchased just a few rootless cuttings for cheap on Etsy, rooted them by keeping them in a little container with sphagnum moss that was kept moist, but never so wet that the water puddled inside the container, and 95% covered with plastic wrap. Put it in a semi-shady but bright enough spot on the screened porch. I then used superglue gell to attach the plant to threads of sphag, then glued them to the back wall of the terrarium. The won't get fertilized in there at all, so will grow slowly... but I took a tiny two-leaved portion and threw it in an orchid pot containing constantly moist sphag. It's got a seedling in it so gets just a little bit of ferts for now, but the eventual plan is to have a nice hanging pot full of the stuff.

The Hemingway House is in Key West!! I do love a visit to Key West. Key Largo is home but after I moved out, my parents moved south, living on Big Pine for a while (check out Key Deer!), then Summerland Key, and finally Cudjoe Key. These islands are just north/east of Key West, so during those times, we visited the southernmost island a lot. Then Hurricane Irma came causing great destruction on Cudjoe, ruining many of their things, though thankfully they prepared, then evacuated, and the house was saved. But, they didn't have power for 6 months and no central A/C for nearly a year. All the while they were preparing to leave the Keys for good, saying it was their last time on those tiny islands during hurricane season. They have a lovely home in west central Florida now, so while losing that link to the Keys was bittersweet, they are the reason I have discovered beautiful areas in my own state which I had not seen before.

I am more than glad to help you with your orchids, but don't think I should fill up this thread (more than I have already:rolleyes with orchid advice... or should I? Y'all let me know, lol. For now, I will happily address loneminx 's orchid troubles on my orchid thread, which I will happily fill up with orchid chatter. I'll offer all the help I can for your orchids... tonight, after dinner and getting kiddos to bed.

Thanks! I will look for your orchid thread tonight!! I didn't know there was one. Unless you post here. Either way!

And I live in PA. So definitely too cold to keep outside. We keep our house about 65 in the winter lol. The bougainvillea lives in the bathroom because it gets the most light and is the warmest room haha. But we do have a plant light in there anyways because most of my outdoor plants move in there for the winter.

And that's why Gainesville appeals to me, hurricanes shouldn't be so much trouble in theory. Sinkholes though... Lol.

Also, I got this today!!!!!!!

20190620_135700.jpg

stella1979

E8B4D716-23BB-437A-8537-45517C7EF439.jpeg
I know it’s just a grocery store orchid, but it does love the fish water!

Hubby really wants to sell a rental house of two and purchase something in the Keys. We are actually quite fond of Marathon but need to do a bit more research.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a grocery store orchid. The only difference may be that a nursery would possibly provide better care for the same hybrids. My favorite orchid nursery always has a large collection of Phalaenopsis hybrids that have been bred to provide just the same as grocery store orchids... to be easy care and HUGE flower producers. In fact, I have a Phal from that nursery that looks a bit like yours. Please forgive the potato pic.

2019-03-04-17-20-49.jpg
I don't have names for the other two but the purple spotted girl on the right is Dtps. Gan Lin 'Melody'. Dtps. means she has Doritis and Phalaenopsis heritage... and perhaps that means nothing at all because all Doritis species are now included in the Phalaenopsis genus. Orchids get confusing but to the person enjoying the blooms, all this means is that the Doritis heritage may provide more flowers that are perhaps smaller, but it also increases the chances of multiple blooms spikes... so again, more flowers.

Marathon, huh? You'll have to forgive me. It's not my favorite Key but really the reasons are quite ridiculous. Marathon's not my favorite because it is big, has everything you need, and it's easy to navigate because a lot of the streets have numbers. Because Marathon has Publix, (my favorite grocery store) Home Depot, a large library, and numbered streets, it kinda comes off as the big city and not as Keysey... that's not to say that when living on one of the smaller Keys, one doesn't need to make regular trips to one of the bigger Keys. When living on Big Pine, my Mom would travel to Marathon most weekends to get the shopping and errands done. Oh! And Marathon, unlike SO many Keys, has a sandy beach! Marathon is great. My favorite Key is probably Upper Matacumbe, which is in southern Islamorada.

Just in case anyone's interested in why that yellow Phal above has such a loooong spike with few flowers... Phals are capable of blooming again on an old spike, provided that the plant is cared for well enough (given sufficient nutrients and minerals), that the old spike remains green. However, there is nothing wrong with a plant that is not provided with 'extra' and basically eats it's spike... meaning as the bloomless spike withers and dies, (again, nothing wrong with this), the plant is absorbing nutrients from it. So... I made a project of maintaining the spikes on the yellow girl and the Dtps./purple spots. Both re-bloomed on old spike but did so differently. The yellow's spike grew longer and longer before producing new buds from the tip (significantly fewer buds than it is capable of.) The Dtps. branched off of its old spike AND grew a new one, which also branched... and each of these branches produces multiple blooms. That's that Doritis heritage I was talking about. It was a fun project but the 'show' (flower display), is much prettier when it comes from a freshly grown spike. Blooming on old spikes make things start to look a little messy. So, when the blooms faded from the recent Dtps. blooming, I cut those spikes off... yellow girl still has pretty fresh looking flowers on the end of a ridiculously long and 90% bare spike. In the off chance that she remains in bloom and/or produces more on that spike all summer long... well, you can bet I'll be cutting the spike away before cool nights arrive because that's when Phals set new spikes

stella1979

Thought we might talk a little bit about what's commonly called 'rescue' Phals since loneminx and Addie42 are both in the position to rescue some Phals. I kept orchids in the past, then took a looong break, then started collecting them again about a year and a half ago. Here's what my first Phal of the current collection looked like when I got her.

20180702_140934_HDR.jpg
20180630_152537_HDR.jpg

She looks pretty alright there in the grass next to my first succulent garden, (which grew a lil too well and got out of hand), and the blooms were a pretty chartreuse/yellow/green in the right light. However, regardless of proper watering and ferts, she very quickly started to go limp, looking dehydrated or at least deficient in something. Nothing to do but investigate that pot. Here's what I found.

20180709_104739.jpg
20180709_110442.jpg

Nearly all of her roots were dead, and this is because her tiny pot held ALL of that sphagnum moss. It was really packed in there, not allowing for proper drying between waterings (not that I watered too much... this repot happened less than a week into having her.) So, those roots were rotted when I bought her and the change of environment she got in coming home with me was stressful enough that the plant started showing signs of the root death. This change should not be that stressful at all because the nursery is 10 minutes from my house, so, same climate and I've learned a lot from them and provide similar care. Anyhow, here's what was left after trimming all the dead roots away prior to potting her up fresh.

20180709_110755.jpg

No bueno. Even those three roots left were on death's door. So, she went into a new pot with proper drainage which allowed for a 2-3 day wet dry cycle. This is fine on my hot porch, though an indoor Phal will likely take longer for her pot to dry. If you only have to water once a week... that's fine... as long as the pot doesn't stay wet all the time.

Anyhow, it was a very long road for this girl. First, she lost all but one of her original leaves, and the one that remained was quite wrinkly and sad looking. This is because, despite proper care, she didn't have the roots for proper uptake. However, it wasn't long until new roots started to poke out and then a new leaf. Because of the setback, new leaves were smaller than the old... and I mean quite small. The new leaf maybe got to about a third of the size of the old before a second new leaf started growing. It grew slightly larger than the last, the newest roots elongated, and more new root nubs kept poking through. This went on through last warm season, which is long here in SoFlo... I think it was December when I saw, HURRAY, a new nub that was not a root, it was a bloom spike. That spike grew through the winter and buds started developing then bloomed in early spring. She's a happy girl now, though her freshest leaves are still a bit smaller than she's capable of. However, now that the heat is really here, she's working on more new leaves and I hope and expect them to grow as large as the ones I bought her with.

Here she is now. I tried to photograph in a way that would show the size difference in leaves, and please remember that one original, not-so-nice leaf remains. Oldest leaves start at the bottom and the newest is on top. Hopefully, you can see the progression.

2019-06-21-14-09-57.jpg
2019-06-21-14-10-31.jpg

Forgive the white haze on the leaves, that's from when the plants were treated with a fungicide about a month ago in preparation for yucky funguses that can attack and kill fairly easily here in SoFlo's humid hot season. Anyway, see the leaf on the lower right that's practically in the pot? That's the tiny first new leaf she grew for me, with the 2nd on the left, third on the right, and so on. You can also see her newest leaf that is still small but growing. She produced a total of 6 blooms for me this year and I know next year she can do more than double that as long as I take care of her. Also noteworthy, she first produced five buds, which all opened well before she started producing the sixth bud. That is why one of her blooms is still full of vibrant color while the older ones have faded quite a bit... but, they remained strong for several months and are only now starting to drop from the plant. She currently has 5 blooms still hanging on and the newest one, though slightly faded, is still fairly vibrant. Here's the good...

2019-06-02-13-13-53.jpg

Here's the bad... the flowers got dirty after several hard rains that were forceful enough to cause a spray through the aged and dirty screen she was sitting too close to.

2019-06-21-11-20-46.jpg

She does like it there near the screen though. Here she is sitting where she lives with several sisters that include two other Phals (including my very favorite, the red girl above... proper name is Phal. Sogo Grape 'Fireball' AM/AOS<--- those acronyms mean this hybrid is awarded.), a Brassia, a Brattonia, an Encyclia, a Paphiopedilum with mottled leaves (Paphs are Lady Slipper orchids:happy and a cute little species (meaning, found in nature and not a hybrid) called Liparis grossa. The golden Phothos is also making herself known there on the left... I've got two of these potted on the top of my ugly, very utilitarian shelf who I am allowing to vine all over to make the ugly look pretty.
2019-06-21-11-25-30[1].jpg

stella1979

If that wasn't enough, lol, I also wanted to share the new Rex with you guys. So, when our crested gecko came home, it was important to keep her in a small enclosure until we were sure she was eating well and gaining weight. So, we turned an old 5 gallon qt tank into a bioactive terrarium for her. This would allow Pan to get used to this kind of enclosure while still maintaining a small space where it would be easy for her to find her food. She stayed there for a few months while here permanent home, a nice big ExoTerra terrarium was planted and made ready for Pan. When she moved... well, I had a tough time just tossing the 5 gallon terrarium but we don't have or want a critter that could live their whole lives in such a small space.

So... the 5 gallon was put out on our porch table, with the lid removed, and Rex was planted inside a few days ago. We'll see how this goes.

Please forgive the horrible glare...

2019-06-21-11-21-57[1].jpg
And the potato quality of my top down pic.

2019-06-21-11-23-41[1].jpg

The Rex is probably nothing rare or fancy. He was cheap and found at Home Depot. I'd loooove a dark and gothic looking one like BReefer97 was recently gifted with, but my track record with these Begonias is not great thus far. Got my first one several months ago and repotted it into a terrarium appropriate ABG mix, then put it in plant qt, which was a humid environment meant for acclimating plants to terrarium life. That Rex quickly lost leaves, began to mold, and was eventually lost. Guess my acclimation didn't work on that Rex, so I'm now trying again in an open top, less humid environment.

FrostedFlakes

Eyy I do orchids too. Pretty new though, but I am planning on expanding a lot more when I actually get around to cleaning my room lol.

BReefer97

If that wasn't enough, lol, I also wanted to share the new Rex with you guys. So, when our crested gecko came home, it was important to keep her in a small enclosure until we were sure she was eating well and gaining weight. So, we turned an old 5 gallon qt tank into a bioactive terrarium for her. This would allow Pan to get used to this kind of enclosure while still maintaining a small space where it would be easy for her to find her food. She stayed there for a few months while here permanent home, a nice big ExoTerra terrarium was planted and made ready for Pan. When she moved... well, I had a tough time just tossing the 5 gallon terrarium but we don't have or want a critter that could live their whole lives in such a small space.

So... the 5 gallon was put out on our porch table, with the lid removed, and Rex was planted inside a few days ago. We'll see how this goes.

Please forgive the horrible glare...

2019-06-21-11-21-57[1].jpg
And the potato quality of my top down pic.

2019-06-21-11-23-41[1].jpg

The Rex is probably nothing rare or fancy. He was cheap and found at Home Depot. I'd loooove a dark and gothic looking one like BReefer97 was recently gifted with, but my track record with these Begonias is not great thus far. Got my first one several months ago and repotted it into a terrarium appropriate ABG mix, then put it in plant qt, which was a humid environment meant for acclimating plants to terrarium life. That Rex quickly lost leaves, began to mold, and was eventually lost. Guess my acclimation didn't work on that Rex, so I'm now trying again in an open top, less humid environment.

Oooo I love it!! I think they’re all amazing, they’ve become my favorite plant. I don’t even care what variation of rex begonia any of them are, I want them all. Which seems to be a big problem for me because they’re becoming my most problematic plants. They keep crisping up so I’ve been putting them in the bathroom while I shower so they can get some higher humidity for a while and it may be working, though I’m not really sure. I’ve also learned not water them until they’re bone dry and the leaves start to droop. Yours looks very healthy! Let us know how the new Rex goes I’ve been struggling with mine so much lately and it drives me nuts.

stella1979

Eyy I do orchids too. Pretty new though, but I am planning on expanding a lot more when I actually get around to cleaning my room lol.
This is starting to feel like advertising, lol, but if you love orchids, you might enjoy a look through the first couple of pages on my orchid thread where there are lots-o-pics of gorgeous plants at my favorite orchid nursery.

Oooo I love it!! I think they’re all amazing, they’ve become my favorite plant. I don’t even care what variation of rex begonia any of them are, I want them all. Which seems to be a big problem for me because they’re becoming my most problematic plants. They keep crisping up so I’ve been putting them in the bathroom while I shower so they can get some higher humidity for a while and it may be working, though I’m not really sure. I’ve also learned not water them until they’re bone dry and the leaves start to droop. Yours looks very healthy! Let us know how the new Rex goes I’ve been struggling with mine so much lately and it drives me nuts.
Awww, that stinks that you're having trouble, though it's kinda... not funny as in haha but funny as in grrrr with a wry grin... because you're are having trouble with low humidity and my first died from high humidity. Sounds like a rather picky plant to me! So far, so good this time around, but it's too early to say for sure, so we shall see. After molding and rotting the first one, I'm definitely being careful with water, and I do love to talk plants, so I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes.

Okay, so I have an ID question. This could be considered a houseplant since this far south, if a plant can live outside in shady conditions, then it can be a houseplant for most. Don't envy me... with the heat index, today's feel-like temp is 103°F. Anyhow, this girl is BIG, with lovely bunches of tiny white flowers, but it's the leaves that drew me in. I found her in a deep shade house at a nursery... but after the kind employee came out of her air-conditioned office and suggested we take the golf cart to the hibiscus and sansevieria pots that were only a short walk away, well, I didn't want to ask her to drive clear across the property to name this plant for me, because it was far, and I wasn't buying it without proper research and preparation. So, do any of you guys know who this is?

2019-06-19-08-34-24.jpg

BReefer97

This is starting to feel like advertising, lol, but if you love orchids, you might enjoy a look through the first couple of pages on my orchid thread where there are lots-o-pics of gorgeous plants at my favorite orchid nursery.

Awww, that stinks that you're having trouble, though it's kinda... not funny as in haha but funny as in grrrr with a wry grin... because you're are having trouble with low humidity and my first died from high humidity. Sounds like a rather picky plant to me! So far, so good this time around, but it's too early to say for sure, so we shall see. After molding and rotting the first one, I'm definitely being careful with water, and I do love to talk plants, so I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes.

Okay, so I have an ID question. This could be considered a houseplant since this far south, if a plant can live outside in shady conditions, then it can be a houseplant for most. Don't envy me... with the heat index, today's feel-like temp is 103°F. Anyhow, this girl is BIG, with lovely bunches of tiny white flowers, but it's the leaves that drew me in. I found her in a deep shade house at a nursery... but after the kind employee came out of her air-conditioned office and suggested we take the golf cart to the hibiscus and sansevieria pots that were only a short walk away, well, I didn't want to ask her to drive clear across the property to name this plant for me, because it was far, and I wasn't buying it without proper research and preparation. So, do any of you guys know who this is?

2019-06-19-08-34-24.jpg

I have a plant ID App called “PictureThis” and these are the plants it’s giving me. I’m not sure if any of them are correct honestly. It’s hard to tell! This app is generally pretty accurate, I test it all the time with plants I already know. With two “Rubus” options I would think it’s one of those, I’m leaning more towards Thimbleberry. What do you think?

15713CE1-0079-4403-B349-4520BD33F76C.png

96505FAB-00AF-4516-A17F-686D1C62A1A6.png

465C7F09-D48B-4DC5-B10D-6D62D4ABB024.png

stella1979

I have a plant ID App called “PictureThis” and these are the plants it’s giving me. I’m not sure if any of them are correct honestly. It’s hard to tell! This app is generally pretty accurate, I test it all the time with plants I already know. With two “Rubus” options I would think it’s one of those, I’m leaning more towards Thimbleberry. What do you think?

15713CE1-0079-4403-B349-4520BD33F76C.png

96505FAB-00AF-4516-A17F-686D1C62A1A6.png

465C7F09-D48B-4DC5-B10D-6D62D4ABB024.png

Awesome!! I tried a couple of plant ID apps and will just say that, despite being well reviewed, they were waaayy off. Thanks for sharing yours!!

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear we've found it yet, though thanks so much for taking the time to look. Thimbleberry is pretty close due to the texture... but the leaf shape and blooms don't match.

I wish I would have thought to put a dollar or something in the pic so as to show relative size. If it helps, the leaves were bigger than my open hand, (guess I have medium hands? not small, not large.)

I'll definitely visit the nursery again, so we'll have a name eventually. Why will I visit again? Lol, I'm just giving myself an opening to post more non-house plant pics here. I will visit again because I got this plant, which is kinda thin but over two feet tall and in a 2-gallon pot... for $5.

This is Abutilon 'Red Tiger' a hybrid from the mallow family... like Hibiscus plants. Somehow, I don't see much reference to hibiscus when reading about my new plant... though they look closely related to me. The common name is Tiger Eye Flowering Maple, which I love because I do not see maples this far south. Hope you guys don't mind my chatter because I've got a fun fact. Few maples grow in the entire state of Florida and I was surprised that any did. Acer rubrum, the red maple, (aka swamp maple) is one of the few that do and here's a Wikipedia quote that I found interesting...
It has the largest continuous range along the North American Atlantic Coast of any tree that occurs in Florida.

Seems to me that the bit that makes this fact somewhat unique is... that occurs in Florida. See guys? Florida isn't all it's cracked up to be. The tree is special because it occurs so widely AND can survive Florida's swamp weather... which we definitely had plenty of today.ead:

ANYWAY, lol, the blooms are yellow with heavy red veining, do not open wide, and they hang upside-down... much like another wishlist plant, the Chinese Lantern Hibiscus. Bought her a week ago with one flower and a few tiny buds. Her open bloom fell yesterday and the buds have started opening though not fully as of yet. Unexpectedly, when reading about her, I came across advice for keeping her indoors! Guess it's possible but she sure likes warmth and bright light. $5!!!

20190618_140614.jpg

Got a shorter but much fuller proper hibiscus for $7.50 She is GORGEOUS!! No tag, no known name, no doubt a hybrid and I sure don't mind plants well-bred for beauty and hardiness. You guys may have noticed that I'm not a great photographer and it's toughest on my porch, which I swear has bright light, but pics come out dark. I'm not working with the best equipment... but the point is, I do often do post edits to brighten pictures but there are no filters used in this plant post. The Florida sun was all that was needed here.

20190618_140621.jpg

I swear... this is the last bit. I've been on the hunt for a nice hibiscus and uhhh, it shouldn't be hard to find here. But it was!! Hardware stores and WalMart's only had those that had been artfully shaped into braided trees (hibiscus... on standard? Just learned that term.) These fancy-pants were selling for $20-$30 which isn't that bad if a braided tree is what you're looking for. Hibiscus here often turn into giant beasts that are looked at more as landscaping chores rather than gardening for pleasure... and I'm planning on keeping a nice compact plant in a big pot. I also wanted colors rather than a single color, which I didn't think was a big ask until all I could find, even at other nurseries, were straight red, pink, or yellow... and many of these plants were about $15.

Sooooo... I CANNOT WAIT to go back to the nursery that sold me both of these beauties, well established in big pots, for only $12.50!! Hmmm, when I first got the big 22" container that has papyrus, petunias, and creeping jenny in it, I thought the planter would do okay on my porch... but before planting the big pot, another sun-loving annual stretched when placed in the big pot's planned location. So, totally inappropriate for petunias and papyrus. Anyway, I'm trying to say, that in preparation for a big heavy pot on the porch, I also got a wheeled plant caddy... which is just sitting on the porch with nothing to do. I think I need another big pot, and that yet to be ID'd shade lover above should do just fine on the porch.

Basil

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a grocery store orchid. The only difference may be that a nursery would possibly provide better care for the same hybrids. My favorite orchid nursery always has a large collection of Phalaenopsis hybrids that have been bred to provide just the same as grocery store orchids... to be easy care and HUGE flower producers. In fact, I have a Phal from that nursery that looks a bit like yours. Please forgive the potato pic.

2019-03-04-17-20-49.jpg
I don't have names for the other two but the purple spotted girl on the right is Dtps. Gan Lin 'Melody'. Dtps. means she has Doritis and Phalaenopsis heritage... and perhaps that means nothing at all because all Doritis species are now included in the Phalaenopsis genus. Orchids get confusing but to the person enjoying the blooms, all this means is that the Doritis heritage may provide more flowers that are perhaps smaller, but it also increases the chances of multiple blooms spikes... so again, more flowers.

Marathon, huh? You'll have to forgive me. It's not my favorite Key but really the reasons are quite ridiculous. Marathon's not my favorite because it is big, has everything you need, and it's easy to navigate because a lot of the streets have numbers. Because Marathon has Publix, (my favorite grocery store) Home Depot, a large library, and numbered streets, it kinda comes off as the big city and not as Keysey... that's not to say that when living on one of the smaller Keys, one doesn't need to make regular trips to one of the bigger Keys. When living on Big Pine, my Mom would travel to Marathon most weekends to get the shopping and errands done. Oh! And Marathon, unlike SO many Keys, has a sandy beach! Marathon is great. My favorite Key is probably Upper Matacumbe, which is in southern Islamorada.

Just in case anyone's interested in why that yellow Phal above has such a loooong spike with few flowers... Phals are capable of blooming again on an old spike, provided that the plant is cared for well enough (given sufficient nutrients and minerals), that the old spike remains green. However, there is nothing wrong with a plant that is not provided with 'extra' and basically eats it's spike... meaning as the bloomless spike withers and dies, (again, nothing wrong with this), the plant is absorbing nutrients from it. So... I made a project of maintaining the spikes on the yellow girl and the Dtps./purple spots. Both re-bloomed on old spike but did so differently. The yellow's spike grew longer and longer before producing new buds from the tip (significantly fewer buds than it is capable of.) The Dtps. branched off of its old spike AND grew a new one, which also branched... and each of these branches produces multiple blooms. That's that Doritis heritage I was talking about. It was a fun project but the 'show' (flower display), is much prettier when it comes from a freshly grown spike. Blooming on old spikes make things start to look a little messy. So, when the blooms faded from the recent Dtps. blooming, I cut those spikes off... yellow girl still has pretty fresh looking flowers on the end of a ridiculously long and 90% bare spike. In the off chance that she remains in bloom and/or produces more on that spike all summer long... well, you can bet I'll be cutting the spike away before cool nights arrive because that's when Phals set new spikes
I think if we were purchasing a residence, a quiet, less developed key would be the way to go.
But he and his brother would be purchasing a rental so having everything one needs close by is probably a good thing!
However, if you know of any small (1-2 bedroom) rentals on any of the smaller keys, let me know. I’d love to stay in a nice quiet place next time we go down.

Addie42

F95B7789-FCCD-4E6C-951C-0691605BFF8F.jpeg Some quick pics
066DBC26-083B-4911-815B-1010D2ACD3A5.jpeg
Love this weird plant

3531150B-D9CB-4C66-A492-838C7D114F11.jpeg
My baby monstera

0352B2E0-3DFF-4072-9500-3F76C7C4C295.jpeg
variegated umbrella tree

B671ED3F-0923-47DD-840A-92EDB4158189.jpeg
Jade plant

06FD0B28-1DB5-496B-8FE3-E69557F43EAF.jpeg
Clockwise from top left: hoya, zz plant, string of turtles, snake plant (behind), hairy stemmed rhipsalis, coral berry, satin pothos, snake plant again, golden pothos, n’joy pothos, Brazil philo cuttings, red prayer plant, avocado plant seed, red veined philo, arrowhead, orchid (golden pothos cuttings behind the orchid)

Attachments

• A4DF2C91-25FE-4D79-BE17-E7C2CB27A77E.jpeg
    A4DF2C91-25FE-4D79-BE17-E7C2CB27A77E.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 98
  • F1F627A1-DA90-45EE-B1F9-DDB17A4C9850.jpeg
    F1F627A1-DA90-45EE-B1F9-DDB17A4C9850.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 104

BReefer97

I love the arrowhead plant! How big do they get? I haven’t looked much into them yet. And UGH. I would give someone my pinky toe for s monstera they’re practically unheard of where I’m at.

Is that a caladium (I attached a picture)? I think I have the same kind! I was hesitant to get it because of how difficult they apparently are indoors but I had to at least try. I’ve had it for about a week and it’s already pushing out so much new growth. It only had two new leaves shooting up when I bought it and those have already opened and there’s probably 5 more new ones getting ready.

BE44CA7E-A25E-4FEF-A2F5-5298CD517E1B.jpeg

Here’s mine (I have it under a full spectrum LED grow light, so it looks kind of crazy):

D50EFAB4-BE76-41A1-AFCD-398395385C7B.jpeg

055ADE8D-EB7F-40F5-AB2D-6B4445E60415.jpeg

And stella1979, I wanted to share these pictures of my Rex begonia today. You know how I told you I’ve read that you should only water your Rex whenever it’s drooping and the soil is nearly completely dry? Well I haven’t been watering mine, just waiting for the moment it would droop to test out my research. It drooped bad today. The soil deep down wasn’t totally dry but it was pretty much there, so I was kind of worried it was because I somehow overwatered it. I’m so happy to report that the research was correct though! It perked back up within half an hour I was so nervous, but I guess I’m finally doing something right for this darn plant. The first picture is a little bit after I watered it so the droop was worse than that.

2434F4F9-6325-437B-9FB5-0E0A87083325.jpeg

63155B46-E65A-475F-A4BD-AB31C8510B54.jpeg

A01A2D4B-238A-46D2-97BB-2CE0CD2E428F.jpeg

Minxxy

I love plants...I have so many in my house, ferns, peace lillys, rubber tree plant, umbrella plant, violets, hoyas, snake plants, pathos, dracinias, arrow head, spider, wandering jew ..the more the merrier

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JuiceKong
Replies
Views
julifhy
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies
Views