Excessive Algae Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ciska, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ciska

ciska Valued Member Member

Hi all,

In my absence my fish tank has grown a truly impressive amount of algae that keeps coming back. I’ve limited the hours with my light on to 6 already, and don’t want to stunt my plants by limiting it further. I’ve started using daily flourish excel, as that worked for me in the past to control algae, but this one is back with a vengeance. Any other tips for managing this outbreak??

2. jacob thompson

jacob thompson Well Known Member Member

What type of algae is it? If it BBA algae increase the dosing of excel for a week then go back to normal dosin. If GSA then dose potassium and phosphate and increase amount of time the light is on. Those are the fixes I know.

3. Ravenahra

Ravenahra Valued Member Member

If its green algae, then lowering the phosphates in the tank might help.

When I had really bad green water, I shortened the time the lights were on and added a filter media bag of fluval phosphate in my hob filter and that got it cleared up in a week.

Also, can you manually clean any of the algae out so there's less in competition with your plants?

4. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

How big is it? Snails, shrimp, often siphoning, minimal light, and plecos (if your tank allows it) are all ways to help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice