Excel Instead Of Pressurized Co2

SomethingsFishy1
Hello all,

I’m curious about your guys’ opinion on dosing excel instead of using pressurized co2. Obviously the result using excel is different and not good as running pressurized co2 but could you still achieve good growth with some more demanding plants? I’ve seen members from other forums dosing excel everyday and achieving good growth. Obviously substrate, ferts and lighting plays a big role aswell but I really want to know your options on excel.

Rainy day
Way more expensive in the long run, and way less effective. I barely noticed a difference from dosing 1ml/gallon every day with excel, this was, of course, in an appropriate environment with med/high light, eco complete + liquid ferts.

SomethingsFishy1
Way more expensive in the long run, and way less effective. I barely noticed a difference from dosing 1ml/gallon every day with excel, this was, of course, in an appropriate environment with med/high light, eco complete + liquid ferts.

Interesting. Would you say that your results with excel is nearly or the same if you wouldn’t have used it? Did you experience any algae issues?

Goldiemom
I can only speak for myself but excel has made my plants look great! I lost a couple of plants that recommended co2 and bought new ones and started the Excel. The new ones are doing great. I personally, have only been using it a few weeks but like how my plants are looking so far! I use it every other day.

SomethingsFishy1
I can only speak for myself but excel has made my plants look great! I lost a couple of plants that recommended co2 and bought new ones and started the Excel. The new ones are doing great. I personally, have only been using it a few weeks but like how my plants are looking so far! I use it every other day.

Awesome! What are some of the plants you’re keeping if you don’t mind listing some. How’s the growth?

Rainy day
Interesting. Would you say that your results with excel is nearly or the same if you wouldn’t have used it? Did you experience any algae issues?

It helped, though not by a tremendous amount. My plants would've done fine without it, just grown a bit slower. No algae issues from using it, in fact it's actually quite good at getting rid of it. It's fine if you plan to use it for a bit but you'll end up spending a lot more than you would've on pressurized Co2 if you plan to use it for a while. It's cheaper to refill a tank than it is to replace bottles of excel.

CanadianJoeh
Excel works great for small aquariums and for the average fishkeeper who doesn't have a ton of extra time on their hands.

I'm right on the fence - I'll still use Excel for my 5 gallon and my 4g, but I am slowly look towards getting a CO2 diffuser for my 20g.

I'm still very nervous as I don't want to overdo the CO2 and lose my little buddies
Can anyone please help calm my nerves on this one??

TexasGuppy
I had repens that seemed to love excel. They were growing out runners everywhere. I switched to CO2 and all but one stalk has died off. I switched because I wanted vals and have shrimp. I may need to just I increase my CO2 rate.

Goldiemom
Awesome! What are some of the plants you’re keeping if you don’t mind listing some. How’s the growth?
I have repens, java, amazon sword, anacharis, bananna plant, hornwort, Anubias. Here pics of my tanks. The last one is a goldfish tank and they tear up everything. However, since using Flourish and Excel the plants have been able to keep up. My tanks are a 29G, 10G, and 55G. I’ve used about a 1/4 bottle so far on all 3 tanks. Not too costly in my opinion.

Attachments

• FC3BB748-B067-43E2-91AB-C63ADB656EC5.jpeg
    FC3BB748-B067-43E2-91AB-C63ADB656EC5.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 31296307-054B-40FF-A8FC-E8F6F2873274.jpeg
    31296307-054B-40FF-A8FC-E8F6F2873274.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 132
  • CD8E1D95-859D-4F29-84C5-7E2D7E9F5AA4.jpeg
    CD8E1D95-859D-4F29-84C5-7E2D7E9F5AA4.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 127
ralph113
Hello all,

I’m curious about your guys’ opinion on dosing excel instead of using pressurized co2. Obviously the result using excel is different and not good as running pressurized co2 but could you still achieve good growth with some more demanding plants? I’ve seen members from other forums dosing excel everyday and achieving good growth. Obviously substrate, ferts and lighting plays a big role aswell but I really want to know your options on excel.
do paintball gun co2 tanks 20oz. that's around 20 -23 dollars and there's a solenoid in amazon around 30 bucks. diffusers u can just look n youtube. excels like what 9 bucks a pop? 9 dollar acumulations gna cost more. refills on painball co2 is around 3 to 4 bucks and lasts really long. that's just me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
Replies
Views
The2dCour
  • Question