Excel For Brown Algae? 29 Gallon Tank

1. Jstabile316

Jstabile316 New Member Member

IMG_4948.JPG

Does spot treating excel work for brown algae? This brown stuff started covering my swords and anubias plants I’m pretty sure the cause is high phosphate levels and I already ordered a phosphate test kit and phosphate reducing sponge but wanted to use excelI to kill off the current algae. I know in the picture it looks like BBA but I’m pretty confident it’s brown algae since I already dealt with BBA last year when I got a stronger light fixture and this is different.

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Excel kills most algae types from my experiences. Try it out and see how it goes.

3. OP
    OP
    Jstabile316

What else causes brown algae? Lighting excess phosphates, nitrates? I started noticing the algae a little while after putting in some driftwood could that be the cause of it?

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

You can use a paintbrush and literally paint excel onto affected leaves, wait a few seconds, and put the plant back into the water so the excel doesn’t melt the plant. This is a more direct way of getting excel onto the algae instead of having most of it float away into the water column.
    Brown algae is pretty common in new tanks. If it’s not a new tank, excess lighting or poor plant grow is usually the cause.

5. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Another good treatment method, if your tank stocking can accommodate them, are snails, otocinclus, and Amano shrimp. All three will devour diatoms.

However, as mentioned, this is only if your tank can accommodate them (temp, compatibility, etc).

6. OP
    OP
    Jstabile316

I currently have a moderately planted 29 gallon tank with
    6 Colombian tetra
    4 Siamese algae eaters
    4- corydoras
    1- platy
    1- balloon molly
    Water temps are between 76-79 degrees. Do you think my tank can accommodate them if so how many should I get? @Fahn

7. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Shrimp won't work in the setup and it's too warm for otos, but some nerite snails should be fine. Your SAEs aren't eating any of it?

8. OP
    OP
    Jstabile316

I mean they might be but maybe not so much on the plants and certainly not as much as they did BBA that I had last year. Why won’t shrimp work for my setup?