Ew I Have Snails.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So today while staring at my 15 gallon tank preparing it for 9 more guppies I noticed something on the side, I kinda out loud said "what in the world is this" my fiance looked sorta and went might just be a leaf stuck to the side. I got closer to my tank, my face almost pressed up against it and there it was.....a snail, how it got there I have no idea but once I found that snail (it had a brown shell small but i know this was bad news) I was like OMGNO then I found two other very very tiny snails and I quickly picked them all out and literally drowned those suckers in vinegar I was not going to play around with something like this. So I want to know since this is my first PERSONAL experience with snails (I watched my dad battle these pests when I was a kid) what should I do? My LFS sells assassin snails 10 for 20$ but before I put the rest of the guppies in there I inspected the tank for anymore......there was none that I could see but that doesnt mean there isnt any or any more eggs. So shall I wait and see if any more pop up or just go ahead and get the amazing assassin snails.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lauradesu said:
So today while staring at my 15 gallon tank preparing it for 9 more guppies I noticed something on the side, I kinda out loud said "what in the world is this" my fiance looked sorta and went might just be a leaf stuck to the side. I got closer to my tank, my face almost pressed up against it and there it was.....a snail, how it got there I have no idea but once I found that snail (it had a brown shell small but i know this was bad news) I was like OMGNO then I found two other very very tiny snails and I quickly picked them all out and literally drowned those suckers in vinegar I was not going to play around with something like this. So I want to know since this is my first PERSONAL experience with snails (I watched my dad battle these pests when I was a kid) what should I do? My LFS sells assassin snails 10 for 20$ but before I put the rest of the guppies in there I inspected the tank for anymore......there was none that I could see but that doesnt mean there isnt any or any more eggs. So shall I wait and see if any more pop up or just go ahead and get the amazing assassin snails.
Assassins would be best way to go since you never know how many eggs are there. The assassins will also help keep things clean.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
danhutchins said:
Assassins would be best way to go since you never know how many eggs are there. The assassins will also help keep things clean.
So not only do they combat snails they are like a pleco and keep algae from building up? Should I go for the 10 for 20? It's a 15 (Canadian gallons I dont know what it is in us) I do have 15 guppies now since you know an inch per gallon these guppies being less than an inch and fully grown. The snails wouldn't impact on the tank would they?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lauradesu said:
So not only do they combat snails they are like a pleco and keep algae from building up? Should I go for the 10 for 20? It's a 15 (Canadian gallons I dont know what it is in us) I do have 15 guppies now since you know an inch per gallon these guppies being less than an inch and fully grown. The snails wouldn't impact on the tank would they?
One should be enough in a 15 gallon. And the inch per gallon doesn't really matter. It all depends on the waist of the fish.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
danhutchins said:
One should be enough in a 15 gallon. And the inch per gallon doesn't really matter. It all depends on the waist of the fish.
The guy at my lfs said I'd have to do water changes like crazy if I put 15 guppies in my tank. I actually was told when I was re starting the cycle on this tank that guppies are the best to cycle with because they are extremely hardy. I was told to start with six which I did then as soon as my tank was cycled I could add in 9 more which I did. Sometimes I question the people at my lfs because though they work with fish it's like they know nothing of guppies ......they dont produce that much waste the only waste there is left over food they dont eat if you over feed them which I dont. I learned to portion their food. And it always is a different answer depending on which staff member I ask. But one assassin snail, that I can do....how big do they get anyways?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lauradesu said:
The guy at my lfs said I'd have to do water changes like crazy if I put 15 guppies in my tank. I actually was told when I was re starting the cycle on this tank that guppies are the best to cycle with because they are extremely hardy. I was told to start with six which I did then as soon as my tank was cycled I could add in 9 more which I did. Sometimes I question the people at my lfs because though they work with fish it's like they know nothing of guppies ......they dont produce that much waste the only waste there is left over food they dont eat if you over feed them which I dont. I learned to portion their food. And it always is a different answer depending on which staff member I ask. But one assassin snail, that I can do....how big do they get anyways?
I'm not to sure exactly how big but I'm pretty sure they get larger than a nerite snail.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One assassin snail should keep your snails under control or maybe even gone and if you only get one you don't have to worry about getting over run with them because unlike some other snails assassins need both male and female to reproduce.

My largest assassins are only about 3/4 inch long. The assassin snails don't eat algae so no, they won't help you there. You will need to either rehome your assassin after it does its job or feed it carnivore food .... they will eat shrimp pellets and freeze dried bloodworms.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
One assassin snail should keep your snails under control or maybe even gone and if you only get one you don't have to worry about getting over run with them because unlike some other snails assassins need both male and female to reproduce.

My largest assassins are only about 3/4 inch long. The assassin snails don't eat algae so no, they won't help you there. You will need to either rehome your assassin after it does its job or feed it carnivore food .... they will eat shrimp pellets and freeze dried bloodworms.
If I get the shrimp pellets wont the 15 guppies that I have eat them first. Usually every guppy that I've been around just eats the first sight of food?

Note: apparently guppies bite.

I just watched my assassin snail just attack a snail that escaped my view and it was kinda savage.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lauradesu said:
I just watched my assassin snail just attack a snail that escaped my view and it was kinda savage.
Wow that was quick! You must live near a FS to have gotten a snail so quickly.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My town is smallish. The lfs is literally a 5 minute drive from my parents in the next town over, I asked my dad to pick me up an assassin snail and I'm literally a 10 minute drive from my parents so overall 15 minutes? Yeah it was fast and getting through that small store is always fast

I need a name for my assassin snail. I'm thinking something from assassins creed games .....if anyone else is a gamer like me lol

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mazeus said:
It's not an assassins creed name, but I'd call it fluffy.
........fluffy is like, something you wouldn't expect from something so savage but I'll go with it because its misleading. Also how do I get more snails to feed it because if I try to feed it anything else the guppies will get to it first
I'm REALLY willing to have a snail outbreak here to keep this guy happy and alive.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lauradesu said:
I actually have a snail hatchery to breed pest snails for my assassins. You won't need to start feeding your assassin until every last snail in your tank is gone. After that maybe you can check with your local store to see if they have any in their tanks they would like to get rid of.

If you have to start feeding pellets just put them in there after lights out and the snail should clean it up before the guppies wake up.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
I actually have a snail hatchery to breed pest snails for my assassins. You won't need to start feeding your assassin until every last snail in your tank is gone. After that maybe you can check with your local store to see if they have any in their tanks they would like to get rid of.

If you have to start feeding pellets just put them in there after lights out and the snail should clean it up before the guppies wake up.
Almost tempted to ask you to ship some of your snails to me after the snails are gone. Also this will be the first night having 9 extra guppies so let's see how active my assassin snail is at night because I heard they are more active at night

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lauradesu said:
Almost tempted to ask you to ship some of your snails to me after the snails are gone. Also this will be the first night having 9 extra guppies so let's see how active my assassin snail is at night because I heard they are more active at night
And I would be tempted to send you some if I had enough to do so. I just set my hatchery up a month or so ago and it is just now starting to produce enough to occasionally pull a few of the bigger ones out to feed my assassins. I am hoping that the babies I see in there will start putting on some size pretty soon.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
And I would be tempted to send you some if I had enough to do so. I just set my hatchery up a month or so ago and it is just now starting to produce enough to occasionally pull a few of the bigger ones out to feed my assassins. I am hoping that the babies I see in there will start putting on some size pretty soon.
If you do get enough and find your self that you can spare some keep me in mind lol!!!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lauradesu said:
If you do get enough and find your self that you can spare some keep me in mind lol!!!
Will do. You could actually start your own though. Mine is simply a 2 gallon jar with an airstone running in it. No filter but I do have a few stems of pathos growing from the top of it. I feed them lettuce leaves and occasionally I throw some shrimp pellets or tetramin tropical crisps in there.

What I really should do is sell some of my assassins but I am very nervous about shipping them 'specially now that the weather is getting so much warmer everywhere. I started with 13 and now have at least 50. You will probably be happy that you just got one. They normally breed slow but if you have more than one you will eventually have more.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lauradesu said:
My town is smallish. The lfs is literally a 5 minute drive from my parents in the next town over, I asked my dad to pick me up an assassin snail and I'm literally a 10 minute drive from my parents so overall 15 minutes? Yeah it was fast and getting through that small store is always fast

I need a name for my assassin snail. I'm thinking something from assassins creed games .....if anyone else is a gamer like me lol
Edward Kenway

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom