Evil Molly Took Over

1. lccrabngurl2 Initiate Member

I recently added a Molly and some small Shrimp to my freshwater tank with guppies. Everything was okay for about two days and then my Molly just went BALLISTIC! It ate all of my shrimp (except for two shrimplets that were kept separate until they grow larger) and has since been pecking at my guppies. I am hopefully going to return it tomorrow and get a different fish. However, I need to know what is the best to get with guppies and shrimp.I am really mad at this Molly because I paid good money for the shrimp and it was supposedly not going to eat them. Any ideas and tips would be appreciated (ASAP, i am going tomorrow) thanks!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

What size tank and how many guppies do you have in there?

3. lccrabngurl2 Initiate Member

It's a 5 gallon (I wanted something small because I also have a15 and 25 gal with hermit crabs on top of two betta tanks and a goldfish setup) I have three guppies ( supposedly all male, but I think one of them is actually female.....)

Sent from my KFTT using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Mollies need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. Do you know your water parameters?

5. lccrabngurl2 Initiate Member

Well the "skilled" aquarium guy did not tell me that when i bought it....... as of yesterday, ph was 6.9 and everything else was a completely normal

6. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

If its big enough and enough room you could get a DG or something small like a few honey gouramis but it all depends on tank size

7. lccrabngurl2 Initiate Member

Thanks! ;)

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Of course not, he wouldn't have made a sale;)

Besides, most people working in pet shops don't actually know much about pets they sell .

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's a 5 gallon tank! A big no to those suggestions.

10. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

I second and third what Aquaphobia says!! Please, no more fish in a 5 gallon.

Years ago I might have, but now.. personally not sure I'd even keep a single betta in a 5 gallon, cause why do five when 10 gallons easy enough to acquire. Petco regularly does a $1.00 per gallon tank sale. $20.00 will get you a 20 gallon tank, so on.

As far as sales reps...seen both good and bad sales reps over the years. A good one wont sale you a fish until you get a bigger tank, they ask more questions than you do. Like "how many fish do you have" "is the tank cycled?" and so on. They will guide you and give you cautions. Always siding on the fish.

A bad salesperson will say 'Ok' to any outlandish request.. it's really easy to test them. In every store, there seems to always be that one guy who really is only in it for the money. It's easy enough to weed him out. He's the guy pulling out 3 Oscars to the guy with the 40 gallon tank.

Ask a outlandish question, say "it's something I read on the internets" if they say yes, just walk away politely. If they look at you like you are crazy or say no, just tell them you thought it was crazy too and then once you find that good sales person, hang on to them like glue.

11. lccrabngurl2 Initiate Member

It wasnt even at a pet store! He works at a store that specializes in aquariums and fishkeeping. He asked me tons of questions and tested my water sample twice! Yet, he recommended a fish that is reeking havoc on my tank! I didnt really have space in my house for a bigger aquarium ( as I said, i already have 5 good sized ones)

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

This is a funny conversation. I am going to tell you one thing I notice about stores. There is only one or two people who are actually in it for the fish and not the money. Everyone else is in it for the money and will just say that you can buy an Oscar for a 20gal . It makes me want to scream why they even work there if they don't know zip about fish. I want their to be a store where there are only people who know about fish and do what's right for the fish and not the money. I would definitely go to that store. Here's the funny thing, when I got my first tank I didn't know anything about fish keeping. So I asked what fish I should add and how many. Here's what she said, "wait a whole week until you can add fish." A week later, " you can get 1 guppy 3 platies, and 1 pineapple swordtail." No one asked about cycling or anything.

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Fish store workers should know better but just being dedicated to one hobby doesn't mean they know it well. Heck, a friend who has a lifetime of experience and basically ran a fish breeding enterprise with dozens of tanks always rinses his filter media in the toilet:shock:

14. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow. I wonder how his fish don't die -.-

15. Cef Member Member

Inside the toilet? Wow. There so much chemicals i dump inside it that even viruses dont survive. Wonder how he is still in the fish keeping business.

16. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Kick him out

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Kick him out? I should have said EX-friend. He kicked me out after setting up a date with another woman. He's well in my past and good riddance;)

18. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I would love to open a store of my own and treat fish as best as i would treat any human. Give them a nice clean loving home until they go to their forever home