Eviction Notice For Male Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Lonnie, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Lonnie

Lonnie Valued Member Member

Hi Folks,

I was advised on this forum to buy shelter for my betta. Heard that Betta's can get easily stressed and need a place to hide from other fish and the light etc.... Went to Petsmart and bought a two story Badjao hut for $24.00. It has a front and back door with windows. Upstairs and downstairs. My Betta and the Neons will not even go inside it. It even has an overhang that fish can go under. They act like they don't even see it. Do these things take time? 069.JPG 070.JPG

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I've never known a betta to hide unless it is being bullied by other fish are extremely stressed. All my bettas have either live plants, wood, or leaves to hide among if they wish. At most I see them resting on the plants but hardly ever hiding.

Neons are also a species that does not hide much. They will take shelter in plant cover but you won't see them actually swim into a cave like structure (unless chased or stressed).

Decor like the ones you have are mainly for anesthetic looks than practical use. Mainly only bottom feeders and other nocturnal fish hide in caves and such.

3. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

Sometimes fish just won’t go inside something(believe me, my snails won’t go inside my spongebob House no matter what I do). Sometimes it really depends on the species, and I know that neon Tetras, being schooling fish probaly don’t really care to explore the tank that much on their own(my Zebra Danios are very much like this). Your betta fish might actually prefer a floating decoration it could swim through, as they spend most of their time near the top(not all, just most) it could also be that your betta just hasn’t really had a need to hide, which is really good! I would just give it time, but even if they don’t use it, you still have a nice looking decoration!

4. OP
    OP
    Lonnie

Thank you for your response. I hope to get my plants established soon. Working on that issue. For some reason they are not doing well. I am using Flourish root tabs and API root tabs, and Aqueon Liquid Plant food. Maybe it is just too soon to tell.

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

My bettas love to zoom right through their hides, window to window. For fun. Bettas in general tend to like to interact with their environments.

BUT! I found that complicated hides like that one get ignored. My guess is that the betta just doesn't understand what that thing is, or the spaces are a bit too small. If they can't see through it, they won't go in it.
    Example of simple hides:
    15132.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Lonnie

Thank you for the suggestions. I am admiring your aquarium pictures and the structures inside. Where can someone purchase something like those?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice