Everything's Going Downhill

1. FishWhishes Initiate Member

I need help. It's been months since I've been on here and it's because I've been busy.
    I found out my tank was overstocked at the end of the school year. That was a bad time to find out because I had finals to study for. I spent lots of my time trying to figure out a way to make it work (I have very little space to simply just, get a bigger tank). I was stressing about fish and tests... great! I thought I had found a solution and was gonna start as soon as I got back from my summer trip.

And then dropsy came back along with summer. I came back from my trip to find two fish with dropsy. One danio with dropsy acts totally fine. He eats, swims, plays, etc. The other danio was upside down (but alive) this morning. Now he's right side up (on the bottom of the tank though) but on further inspection I think its TB. I don't know what to do. I have clove oil but I'm beyond just worrying about the two fish now. What about my other fish in the tank?? Will they all get TB??

I just need someone with experience to tell me what to do. I'm gonna explode. I never know what to do and I can't believe I'm this bad at keeping fish healthy. :banghead:

2. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

Why do you think it's TB? What symptoms do you see ?

Your tank is overstocked and you have been busy... The result is usually bad, like disease or mini cycle etc. It's ok though. We all have made mistakes starting out in the hobby.

My suggestion is, aim to understock your tank. Remove fish, give them away etc. Simplify your situation. And focus on school. You have plenty of time later to keep a high maintenance tank.

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Kill the fish or move them to a separate tank if they show any signs of TB - trying to cure fish that show TB symptoms is just wasting your time. Start doing lots water changes and feed them the best food you can get your hands on. Tuberculosis naturally ocuurs in all fish tanks, fish get it when they are weak. You dont want your other fish to pick on dead fish that may have died of TB. I would personally kill fish that show signs of TB so I can dedicate my time to the ones that still have a chance.

Some here will tell you to kill everything, take down the whole tank, sanitize it and start over. I disagree with that. Tuberculosis is literally everywhere yet you dont see fish dying all the time. Try giving your fish the best conditions so they can fight Tuberculosis off. I see no point in killing all the fish and taking the whole tank down prematurely. Give the fish a fighting chance.

Finally, are you sure its TB? The only way to really know if it is TB is to scrape dead fish and start a culture from that and unless you are studying biology or something related to that then it is pretty hard to start bacterial cultures.

4. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I agree with @BeanFish ... TB is rough... Assume the fish will eventually die. I read a recent article by Diana Walstad that strains of fish TB can be bleach resistant!! I was like what?? She goes on to say regularly using bleach kills the weaker bacteria leaving the superbugs behind. That these bacteria live in biofilm making it harder to nuke. better to cultivate healthy bacteria colonies than attempting a to keep everything sterile. anyway, I have had fish show TB symptoms in my 55 gallon tank. I quickly removed them and the vast majority of my fish inhabitants were ok. Was impractical to take apart my heavily planted tank. Sometimes when u know you don't have the option of using meds or bleaching the tank you just make it work. Anyway, simplify your situation.

5. FishWhishes Initiate Member

(This is a reply to both @bigdreams and @BeanFish)
    Okay I did remove the TB fish even before this post. I put him in a small empty 1.5 tank. I'm not sure that its TB; I'm only going off of TB symptoms I read online (bent spine and deteriorating skin). If I want to know for sure I do have access to all that bio stuff (my dad's a bio professor), but honestly I'll only go into all that only if you think it's really important to the rest of my tanks health. I'll make plans to euthanize the TB fish later today. :(

Now to address the tank overstocking: I still have plans to try to set up a bigger tank at the university my dad works at (This was what I was going to do before. They have bigger tanks and they keep fish in the labs sometimes. There's almost always someone there to care for them, but I was gonna get a self feeder anyway.) I'm thinking I'm gonna keep my betta in the 10 gallon and just have a betta tank. I'm thinking that'll make my life easier.
    However, I need to know what to do with the dropsy danio. Just transfer him with the other fish? Keep him with me?

I cannot express how much I appreciate the help.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I would personally euthanize the dropsy danio.

7. FishWhishes Initiate Member

Alright.