everything high

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by ratty-the-rat, Apr 29, 2006.

1. ratty-the-ratNew MemberMember

got a 5 gallion tank running fishless for 1 week being feeding it every 12 hours as per article on this website. my nitrites were very high so i got a complete test kit and tested everything.

TAP WATER : Ammonia 0.0mg TANK WATER : Ammonia 1.2mg
    Nitrites 0.0mg Nitrites 4.0mg
    Nitrates 0.0mg Nitrates 100.0mg
    PH 7.0mg PH 8.5mg

i treated the tap water with Tetra aqua ( makes tap water safe ) added water , gravel ,plastic plants and ( prob mistake ) a shell and two corals has been washed and boiled.Water is still clear.running temp 26 degrees.

Done 2 water changes 30%.havent cleaned gravel since water added.

Does this look normal or do i need to start again.ive bought biostart but not yet added it.

thanks for any help ??? :eek: ???

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Your cycle is well on its way just be patient. Although i would probably take the shell and coral out.
    Carol

3. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

The shell and corals are what's jacking up your pH. You chould take those out, and before adding fish make sure you do water changes until the pH is back to where your tap water is...if you put them in with the pH still way up, they will get a HUGE shock when you do a water change since the pH is so different. Also make sure to get your nitrates WAY dowm before adding fish. The cycle is doing fine. In fact, it sounds like it's going very quickly.

4. ratty-the-ratNew MemberMember

taking the shell and corals out done a 70% water change will wait a week before testing the water again . planning to put fish in when the cycle is complete +-4-6 weeks

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

ratty-the-rat sounding good. Keep up the good work. Thrilled your doing fishless cycling :)
    Carol

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, I'm glad cycling fishless is starting to catch on. It's so much nicer to the fishies.

7. ratty-the-ratNew MemberMember

took out corals and shell,did 70% water change .did another 25% water change yesterday.My readings are as follows. 5g tank
    Ammonia-0.1mg
    Nitrites-0.25mg
    nitrates25mg
    Ph-9.0

I'm not too concerned about the 3 readings as my cycle has awhile to go . My tap water Ph is 7.0 .i don't know whats making my Ph high.
    I also have a jelly substance forming round the suckerpads of the heater,and filter is this normal.
    water is clear and smells like wet wood.
    thanks for any help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice