Everything has gone terribly wrong

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by curiousowl, Jul 30, 2015.

1. curiousowl

curiousowl New Member Member

I have no idea what has happened, everyone in the tank was doing great! Until today, my rainbow shark was thrashing about, seized up and died. My pleco was doing his thing and just fell off the side of the tank, dead. Then two platies died and then my pineapple sword tail...
    It's a nightmare.
    I tested the tank: 55g
    pH: 7.2
    Ammonia: 3.0
    Nitrite: 2.0
    Nitrate: 60

I freaked out when I saw these results and did a water change immediately. I use ammo carb in my filters, I use Prime for water treatment and a bit of aquarium salt.
    Now I've always done this, always! And everyone has been happy and thriving for about 2 years and suddenly, all of this.
    Now I noticed one of my remaining platies had this long, white 'thing' coming out of her, it looked like a piece of string with knots in it, yuck!
    [​IMG]

Then I see this on my Gourami, it's like he has open wounds of some sort

In all the years I've had tanks...I've never come across this

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi1

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I would test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates and post back.

Something has killed off your beneficial bacteria in large quantities. Have you done ANYTHING to your tank before this happened? New filter?, cleaned old filter in tap? changed out filter material? new substrate? removed anything? added any equipment? any of them die and get caught somewhere?

How often and how much water do you change?

I would do enough of a water change or multiple changes to get everything down to .25, then add Prime and pick up a bottle or two of Seachem stability to help re-populate your bacteria.

I would do a water change everyday, add prime and stability while you see any of these numbers.

3. OP
    OP
    curiousowl

curiousowl New Member Member

I tested my tap and everything came back fine. I do a monthly 30% change (which was 2 weeks ago) I don't over feed, I don't leave the lights on for any long periods of time. I have two filter cartridges, I change one when I do the change and the second 2 weeks later. Two years and everyone has been great...

The only thing I can think of is...just a day before I did my water change they were working on the water lines around our area...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You could call and see if they flushed the lines with chlorine after working on them.

I would up your water changes to a minimum of 30% every two weeks. Nitrates of 60 are pretty high and would cause stress. I'm not sure how high they usually are but I'd still do water changes every two weeks to replace minerals.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to meet you!

I'm so, so sorry for your losses. :'( :console: I know how hard it is.

My best guess is that maybe something got into the water from the water lines being worked on but it has since disappeared when you tested? I don't know, so don't go off that. But I do agree with the above poster.

Again, hope you get this figured out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice