Everything Figured Out

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
I made a post about my tap water having 40ppm nitrates 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrite and how I could fix it. I got this from a friend who does salt water tanks and it is amazing! Anyone having issues with there tap water something like this will go wonders it helped me in literally one day!!! Running water threw this then tasted it everything at 0 and ph didnt alter!

Attachments

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah, RO units do work wonders sometimes

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You do need to remineralize it if you didn't do so. Fish need the minerals that are in the water and the RO unit takes them all out (hence the 0 reading).

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
Galathiel said:
You do need to remineralize it if you didn't do so. Fish need the minerals that are in the water and the RO unit takes them all out (hence the 0 reading).
So what should to add back in mineral or what could I buy I love advice from ppl who know what they're talking about bc I dont!!!! Links to things that add minerals back in water. I only use this now bc my tap water has 2ppm ammonia 40 ppm nitrates and 0 nitrites. when my established tank builds up nitrates I cant remove it. No matter how many water changes I preform all that happens is ammonia goes up in the tanks. Nitrates stay as is I needed something to remove 100ppm in my betta tank and my tap couldnt do that bc it has 40ppm. So I'd take a a small dose of nitrates out n add a big dose back in... that's why I am using this do u suggest i just use the tap water with the high ammonia and nitrates, rather then running my water threw thing. When I need too make a water change I only use this for 20% water changes . I do have some fish that are healthy and sensitive to my tap water. They're tetra and gouramis and soon as I make a water change with straight tap they get dull pale and go to the top for air till the ammonia that's in my tap that I add with water changes sorts out n I'm tired of doing that bc it stresses the fish. It was getting to the point where after changes were pointless n I was almost killing my community tank with water changes every other week wen needed. Bettas handle it well but look at the cups they sit in I've got a betta n tested the water in the cup to see a reading of 8ppm ammonia cant believe the betta lived in that high ammonia in a tiny cup....

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes I do but it seems to fade off why I'm at over late but usually my natural bacteria takes care of the ammonia from my tap instantly bc it's very low ammonia once my aquarium water dilutes it. It's just my nitrates that I can't get lowered until I got this and removed them from the water instantly I got my nitrates in all established tanks down to 10ppm

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've used Seachem Equilibrium (powder) and also Seachem Replenish (liquid). I'm lazy and switched to Replenish because I don't have the issues with getting the powder to dissolve. Equilibrium is purportedly better if you have live plants, but I haven't had any issues with Replenish and my plants (I have issues with plants anyways ... esp. stems, but I always have).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom