Everyone's Favorite Stocking Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dappie, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Dappie

DappieNew MemberMember

Okay guys! What is everyone's favorite stocking suggestions for a 10 gallon, fresh water tank for beginners? Reasons why it is your favorite for beginners?

Aaaaannnnd Gooo!

2. Edwinstz

EdwinstzValued MemberMember

3. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Male guppies, shrimp, and a snail. Guppies come in so many colors and sizes and tail types, shrimp are just plain entertaining (and there are a good few types to choose from, as well!), and snails are cool to watch. If you get them from a good source guppies are very hardy.

Male platys are another good one for beginners, but have a higher bio-load, so you can't put as many. Maybe 2 or 3 platys versus 4 or so guppies, depending on invertebrate tankmate type(s).

A mix of the two can be fun, too.

Of course there's always the standard betta tank, as well, and all of these options, too!

Stocking List for 10 Gallons

4. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

My #1 favorite beginner fish are Guppies and platies. :)

5. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

A couple of honey gourami--small, friendly, and inquisitive.

6. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Probably a betta :). Add live plants and some decoration and maybe a couple snails or some shrimp

7. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Endlers! Very colourful and active and maybe a sparkling or honey gourami as a centrepiece :)

8. Cori Elizabeth

Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

I always suggest Mollies, people think 29 gallons is minimum for a tank butttt if it's for a small group it should be fine. Mollies are the best and that is my reason why.

9. scarface

Sounds reasonable. Good enough for me, lol :)

10. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

While I have kept Mollys in 10 gals I think they really benefit from the space so if possible I would avoid them.
    I would go with a 12-14 school of corydoras pygmeus.

11. scarface

Not sure about the mollies, but I like how you think concerning the pygmy cories.

Edited because I felt it was straying off topic.

12. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Yep. I love dwarf corydoras, I dont know why, I just find them beatiful, I probably have some torpedo fish fetish LOL. When I got my 36 gal I had to take a troubled desicion, keep a new species of corydoras or get a "giant" (giant relatively because they are in thousands in nature) school of dwarf corydoras, probably around 20 of them. I went with a new species of corydoras just to expand my horizons (cause I plan to breed the new corys).
    Also, what I like about dwarf corydoras, specifically the pygmeus ones is that the fishkeeper will know he has done his job in terms of giving them a good home when the fish start to spawn.

13. brooklynmv

brooklynmvNew MemberMember

Besides a betta, my first freshwater fish were Neon Tetras! They are my favorite little fish.. They swim actively and have bright blue and red bodies. Very easy to maintain and are very hardy.

Coryadoras are a favorite of mine too!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  14. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraeiValued MemberMember

My mother's dalmation molly grew to almost 5" in a 29 gallon tank in less than a year. I would not recommend them in a 10 gallon. My 10 gallon houses a male betta and 5 African dwarf frogs. I love the look of bettas in a 10.

15. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't say that neons are hardy fish. Cardinals are hardier than neons though.

16. Bek

BekValued MemberMember

For my 10gal im going to do a betta and dwarf shrimp personally, though theres a chance that my betta isnt tank-mate friendly
    Think I might go with blue velvet shrimp since my lps has several varieties
    Have you found any setups (pet-wise) that you're partial to? :)

17. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

For stocking a ten gallon I would probably go with a school of CPD amd a couple of Asian stone catfish along with a platy or two.

18. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

8 CPDs
    2 peacock gudgeons
    20 green N. davidi shrimp (there is a green variant, yes)

19. brooklynmv

brooklynmvNew MemberMember

I'm not sure about across the board but the neons that I've had have been very hardy. Everyone has different experiences with fish though because they are all unique :)

20. manzeez

manzeezValued MemberMember

cherry barbs easy peezy;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice