Ever Seen This Style Baffle?

mossman

I came across a sump design online that I have not seen before. The first baffle is two pieces with an opening/slot a few inches from the bottom. Due to the large size of the 1st compartment, I'm assuming this is where the skimmer would go. What purpose does elevating the opening serve? Is it to keep anything that makes it past the socks to get trapped in the bottom of the 1st compartment for easy cleaning?

Heron

I built a sump unit with this set up on the first baffle. The purpose on mine is that the water goes through the gap leaving anaerobic conditions in the bottom compartment for nitrate eating bacteria. I filled mine with fine gravel to provide a home for these bacteria. The part in question is the blue media bottom left

It takes quite a while for these bacteria to establish ( 6 months plus ). But now mine is established it keeps a heavily stocked tank with nitrates below 5 with just 20 percent a week water change. I assume this is why your tank has this baffle but I may be wrong. I designed this sump myself and as I have never bought a pre made sump there may be another reason I don't know of.

Jesterrace

Is this a freshwater setup?

Heron

Yes it is freshwater but I designed it with enough space at the end to take a skimmer in case I wanted to make the tank saltwater.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom