Question Ever seen such STRANGE behavior in a fish?!

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am so confused right now. I have 6 rummy nose tetras and last night right before lights out one of them completely spazzed out!

It went off on it’s own to the top corner of the tank and was swimming crazily, darting around, bashing into the sides, jumping up out of the water - I mean completely going nuts. Then it would like float on its side for a moment as if it was dead but then revive and do it again.. I honestly thought it was dying (it was like it was TRYING to die)!

I thought I was going to wake up to a gonner this morning :( but no! I still have 6 seemingly perfect fishies schooling together like normal!

Anyone ever seen such bizarre behaviour?? I am flabbergasted o_O :hilarious:

Also they (rummy noses) act like they are scared of the dark.. when the lights go out they all seem to have a crazy few minutes darting around like they’ve been spooked and always lose the colouring on their noses, but when the lights come back on in the morning after a minute or so they are all bright red and happy again?! The strangest fish I’ve ever seen!!

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen fish of different Tetra varieties including rummy go crazy like that when the lights flicker or are turned off then back on. Even when the lights are off and someone turns on a light in the room.
Fish sleep and can get startled. It could have been napping. Really.
Fish even get used to the light schedule on a timer. They're not as dumb as people want to think.

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
leftswerve said:
I've seen fish of different Tetra varieties including rummy go crazy like that when the lights flicker or are turned off then back on. Even when the lights are off and someone turns on a light in the room.
Fish sleep and can get startled. It could have been napping. Really.
Fish even get used to the light schedule on a timer. They're not as dumb as people want to think.
Hmm actually I did switch the room light off before the tank lights went off because I was going to try and get some nice pictures! And then it started going crazy so I got too distracted by that and then the tank lights went out! That’s so strange I had never seen anything like it in my life!

I’ve been watching them all day and they are all absolutely fine.. so weird!

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CorydorasCats said:
I am so confused right now. I have 6 rummy nose tetras and last night right before lights out one of them completely spazzed out!

It went off on it’s own to the top corner of the tank and was swimming crazily, darting around, bashing into the sides, jumping up out of the water - I mean completely going nuts. Then it would like float on its side for a moment as if it was dead but then revive and do it again.. I honestly thought it was dying (it was like it was TRYING to die)!

I thought I was going to wake up to a gonner this morning :( but no! I still have 6 seemingly perfect fishies schooling together like normal!

Anyone ever seen such bizarre behaviour?? I am flabbergasted o_O :hilarious:

Also they (rummy noses) act like they are scared of the dark.. when the lights go out they all seem to have a crazy few minutes darting around like they’ve been spooked and always lose the colouring on their noses, but when the lights come back on in the morning after a minute or so they are all bright red and happy again?! The strangest fish I’ve ever seen!!
My Oscar fish does the same thing. Swimming around like crazy at night, then stopping. Then starting. It actually cracked part of the glass. Scares the **** out of me at night.

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Zeon said:
My Oscar fish does the same thing. Swimming around like crazy at night, then stopping. Then starting. It actually cracked part of the glass. Scares the **** out of me at night.
It’s horrible to watch I honestly thought my rummy nose was trying to kill itself. As horrible as that sounds it really was that crazy!

Evergreen2

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Haha. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've got 4 bandit corys and there's almost always one that does this behavior once a day or so either when I'm coming to watch the tank or turn the lights on or off.

New Threads