Ever Noticed...

1. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Have you ever tried to buy a nano/pico tank online? Well, yesterday I was looking for a shrimp tank of about 3 gallons. I tried eBay, Amazon, etc. I was just looking for a conventional rectangular tank. But woe and behold, every single result was a full 3 gallon setup and they were ALL either cylindrical or hexagonal. Each picture had a picture of a molly/platy/goldfish/betta swimming around in the container. Each tank setup was above $100, most exceeding $150.

I was just looking for a nice rectangular 3 gallon tank :(

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried Letgo and Facebook marketplace? The prices on 2nd hand equipment are often quite good, and there are lots of nano tanks, at least in my area.

3. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Thanks, but I think I will be ordering a custom one for a shelf I built. Hopefully that isn't too expensive.

I believe that letgo and Craigslist don't operate in Australia anyway.

4. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Custom tanks around here are very expensive. Is a 5-gallon too big for your shelf?

5. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Yep. I can just use the shelf for something else. I would like a very long 5 gallon tank, not the standard size, I already have that.

6. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

2.5G and 5.5G rectangles are the standard sizes. Anything outside of that are going to be the fancy kits.

Wait, I saw a 6 or 7 bookshelf one once, but I can't remember from who!

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Craigslist is available in aus. Just not many uses it!

Best place for cheap tanks that will suit your needs are on ebay and gumtree.... and petstores.

In saying that, I've purchased a glass tank - by aquaone - its rimless and around 2.5g... Can remember the dimensions, but if you go on the aqua One site you can easily find it. Cost around $40 I believe. Equipment not included however.

8. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

That aqua one tank sounds good- just a little pricey for its size! I may buy it anyway since nothing is cheap in Australia lol

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

You might be able to find it cheaper secondhand or even wait until its on sale. But then again, it might just be my LFS... yours may be cheaper.

10. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

NOPE.