Ever Lasting Betta Finrot

Guineagirl

Reaction score
I am aware of the majority of threads expressing this issue but could use some advice with this fish in particular. This is one I've had for around six months, though he was at LEAST one year upon purchase. Mustard Halfmoon is what he was labeled, but honestly, with pet store bettas it can be difficult to truly decipher. He was well aware of his light fin rot upon purchase but assumed it would go away eventually. And it was starting to dissipate before in an athletics incident suffered from a severe case of TBI. In the recovery period, my fish keeping slipped... Though no severe damage was done it didn't help with getting rid of the seemingly slow-moving yet stubborn case of Finrot. (Have a Fin biter, this isn't similar in the least.)

I was able to bring my other fish back to full health but this fishes fin rot simply refuses to leave. I have tried multiple trusted medications, that I've used in the past. And am a water change fanatic, you just can't beat water changes. Use Indian Almond leaves with all my bettas including the breeders. This fish, in particular, is kept in a partially filled 10-gallon tank with a heater, he has no filter as I never use them for my fish (personal opinion and experience). All fish in my fish room receive 50% water changes twice EVERY day. He also displays some signs of old age milky/dull eyes, and such. Fish isn't even close to being on their deathbed but would still like to fix the issue. I feed a mixture of Bio gold, and Hikari freeze-dried brine shrimp, with live foods on occasion.

Thanks for any help in advance

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pictures? I can't diagnose a thing without seeing what is wrong.

This fish, in particular, is kept in a partially filled 10-gallon tank with a heater, he has no filter as I never use them for my fish (personal opinion and experience). All fish in my fish room receive 50% water changes twice EVERY day.
What? you are changing a 10 gallon tank 50% twice a day? That could be doing more harm then good with swinging water parameters.

californiascape

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry, I had the same thing happen with me and one of my old bettas. This persistent fin rot would not go away after allll of the different treatments. Then I went on vacation for a couple months, and when I came back he was magically cured. I wish I could give help/recommendations but it really is tricky :sorry:

I haven't gotten a domestic betta since. I'm tired of having to deal with their genetic issues that make diseases so hard to cure. Best of luck with your betta though!

New Threads