Ever had fish disappear in your tank?

BolognaBopper
I've had a couple of fish over the period of many years just flat out disappear from my tank. There one day, gone the next, never to be found again. None have jumped out of the tank either.

This just happened last week - one BA Tetra of mine wasn't looking too good and the next morning when I went to check on him he wasn't anywhere in the tank. I did a water change and checked the decor, and he wasn't inside any of them.

Anyone else have this happen before?

ayeayeron
Yes, that’s happened to me. Often they may get caught in the filter or eaten by someone else in the tank.

StarGirl
Yup. Probably eaten by the cannibals.

Nick72
I’ve had this happen several times with smaller fish, rummynose tetra and the like.

My 5 inch Angel Fish can disappear for an hour or so in amongst the plants, so no trouble missing a dead Tetra.

Very small fish will either be eaten by bigger fish or by the plants and substrate in short time.

As long as the fish is not too big and it's only one fish at a time, I find the beneficial bacteria can keep up.

jake37
I have this happen a lot - frequently they reappear at a later date alive However, in one specific tank a couple of have died - i've found them buried in the substrate months later (not sure why they didn't just decay) or whatever. About 90% of the fishes that i swear are dead do reappear alive and healthy but fail to tell me their story. When I had a HOB i had a few manage to jump into it and one of my kuhli kept making it through the slit of the intake to the canister filter - after the third time i fished him out he was finally too large to pull that stunt again. I think the middle time he spent nearly 4 months down there.

flyinGourami
This isn't really that much related to the post, but I went to my petco a few weeks after I first visited. The tanks had lots of dead bodies . Imagine how many i couldn't see. The filter intake(i'm pretty sure) was covered in dead fish, the floor was scattered with dead fish too.

californiascape
Yep, I lost a gold barb and a peacock gudgeon into thin air once, and a bunch of amano shrimp. The amanos might have jumped and travelled, though... one time I found a crispy amano 12 feet away from the tank beside a houseplant

AquaticQueen
One of my mollies his in a cave for a few hours and me being new to that sort of thing, I thought he had died and searched all over the tank for him until I lifted a cave I had in there and out he came. I guess he was being bullied by the other male and hid.

Pythia
My cory would disappear for about half an hour sometimes but always reappear safe and sound

flyinGourami
My cory would disappear for about half an hour sometimes but always reappear safe and sound
Haha, I wonder where he went. My corys liked to hide behind this mug in my tank, but most of the time they are just sitting on top of it.

Pythia
Haha, I wonder where he went. My corys liked to hide behind this mug in my tank, but most of the time they are just sitting on top of it.
I have a suspicion she hides in this ancient water jug decor that I have, I'm never sure, though.

flyinGourami
I have a suspicion she hides in this ancient water jug decor that I have, I'm never sure, though.
Lol my corys hide everywhere. I have really strange decor in my tanks and they always hide in those

BolognaBopper
Yes, that’s happened to me. Often they may get caught in the filter or eaten by someone else in the tank.
The only things big enough to eat it without leaving traces behind would be my common pleco or bala shark. Would the pleco do that if it were dead on the bottom?

ayeayeron
The only things big enough to eat it without leaving traces behind would be my common pleco or bala shark. Would the pleco do that if it were dead on the bottom?
Depending on the size of the fish, yes it probably would.

mrsP
Yes.

Wrench
My bala shark has eaten several frogs, 1 pleco and a smaller bala so yes they will eat smaller guys,especially if they sense they are sick

Pythia
Oh, wow!

StarGirl
I once had a sick fish that was hovering towards the bottom, and a Amano shrimp grabbed it and started dragging it across the tank. Chances are good your inhabitants eat them. Either that or they are just hiding.

AquaCaitlin
I had a perfectly healthy guppy flat-out disappear in a tank that only had small fish. Checked the plants, floor by the fish tank, substrate, filter... he was gone.

Wrench
I caught him eating the common pleco , pleco was already mostly gone at that point and the bala had marble belly, then I figured out where all the frogs had gone.

Wrench
I caught him eating the common pleco , pleco was already mostly gone at that point and the bala had marble belly, then I figured out where all the frogs had gone.
I think they all pick and choose because at the time he had several other way smaller fish he could pick off but never did.
They were all introduced to the tank at the same time. May be the reason I dunno lol.

Toothless17
I’m late coming to this thread, which i found in a search.
I have an established 20g tall with a new young (very small - 1.5”) BN pleco, 9 Cardinal tetras, 3 Glowlight tetras, 2 small RCS, 1 pretty big mutant yellow shrimp (she must be the last remaining one / or offspring from a group of gold / yellow shrimp I bought over a year ago) & 5 nerite snails.

Last week, one of my 9 Cardinal tetras disappeared - a young small one. I searched the tank & did not find a body. Just disappeared.
At the same time, one of my nerites became inactive & I checked them daily for the death smell. Nothing. Finally, a part that I thought was the soft body, I realized was actually part of the shell & that the shell was completely empty.
Last night, I did a count & all my fish & snails were there.
Today I count & am missing another Cardinal.
I’m suspecting it may be my giant yellow shrimp, even though I’ve been feeding my fish & invertebrates well with protein sources.

Attachments

• 22FA0BAA-DC4F-4A1D-9F49-3D6804AA66FC.jpeg
    22FA0BAA-DC4F-4A1D-9F49-3D6804AA66FC.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 50
Toothless17
Nevermind, I just found them.
Sad but relieved that they were not hunted & eaten.
This prefilter from Top Fin has been redesigned & this new channel at the back is a really poor idea. I’ve taken a new one & cut it smooth.

D829DAAB-8A8E-409C-A3FD-1DA6B45A8275.jpeg
FC4A3BC4-C46F-4A35-B437-FF51F0584971.jpeg

NatalieRyan
When I first took home my two plecos, there was one very significantly smaller than the other (both were still considered fry). The smaller one disappeared, and I had a complete panic attack. Well, somehow, it slipped through the strainer of my filter. I looked in the filter just out of chance and I'm very happy I did!

Toothless17
When I first took home my two plecos, there was one very significantly smaller than the other (both were still considered fry). The smaller one disappeared, and I had a complete panic attack. Well, somehow, it slipped through the strainer of my filter. I looked in the filter just out of chance and I'm very happy I did!

Was it alive?

ayeayeron
This is a weird story, but once I was moving a ghost shrimp to a different tank. I caught her with the net and I saw that she was in there, but I’m not even kidding, she just vanished from the net. Completely gone before I could put her in the tank. But, she must’ve somehow made a weird jump into the tank because I found her in there a couple days later. In conclusion, my ghost shrimp can teleport.

jake37

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
LadyArtemis
Replies
Views
SparkyJones