Ever get bored with your tank?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Wilma, Jul 31, 2015.

1. W

Wilma New Member Member

I'm just wondering if anyone else gets bored with the way you have your tank(s) set up & the fish you may have in them?

I think I'd like to change the decorations in my 36 gallon & I'd love to have a planted tank but I don't want to spend a lot of money & don't want to add more work to it.

I love keeping fish and I like my tanks, but sometimes I lose a bit of interest. I was just wondering if I'm the only one or if this is common with other fish aquarists??:confused:

2. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Constantly. I only ever like my own decor for a few days before it looks pants. And I wish I could change my fish every few months, but I can't just give them away and not care what happens to them.

You're like me, a few dozen more tanks would be the answer....

3. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

No you are not alone! I often get bored and move things and change d├ęcor...I sometimes do complete over hauls change gravel. I just shut down my fish only salt and am making it another freshwater. And I often like to start up new tanks and try different things. I am a stay at home mom and winters are long, I must drive my husband nuts.

4. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Yep! That's why I took a break from discus and went with tropheus. Needed more high energy. Change it up you'll appreciate it more!

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I rescaped two tanks yesterday, and one a couple days before that. I'd say I probably do this quarterly. As for new fish. . . Yeah. That's why I have nine tanks.

6. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Sure, sometimes it means your tank could use more stimulus.
    ive ried dropping in new decor or adding a different shape fish or different type of creature, like with eel shaped fish with "norm shaped" fish or round. Or adding shrimp.
    incidently thats why i dont uave african cichlids. I appreciate the color, but after that, theyre all too similar.

7. slade

slade Valued Member Member

Sounds like it's time for a change. Don't jump right into it by just rearranging a few decorations during a PWC. Do some research, make a plan and wait till you have a day you can take your time.
    Do you want to try switching stock? A different aquascape? Adding plants/rocks? A larger tank, or different spot in the room?

You'll be glad you took your time when you step back and see the results.

8. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Bigger tank is a slippery slope, lol..

9. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

This is why we all need a few different types of tanks, with different types of fish. So when we lose interest in one, another will fill in the temporary void

10. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

No not really. We have 5 tanks up and running at this time. It is all I can do to keep up with the maintenance. I shut down a 44, 55 and two 30 gallon tanks because I just could not keep up with all of them. I do still want to get that 150 gallon reef set up (the tank has been sitting in the living room empty for a year and a half) but that is looking like next spring or summer.

What keeps me from getting bored is mixing my photography with the fish keeping :)

11. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

We got bored with ours years ago when all we had were artificial plants. Going with live plants and driftwood this time around has been an absolute joy.

12. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

It's all about making things better, whether it's aesthetically, functionally, etc. This usually takes up a good chunk of the time, especially with a hobby like this where you are constantly learning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice