Even More Koi Questions

Christina98

For those that saw my last post the koi I had has already been re homed into a very very large pond

However I have ran myself into more Koi issues.

My Mom sent me a text today saying that her coworkers son would be bringing a koi over tonight...

Apparently he and his college friends bought a betta and a 2 gallon betta tank from a big name pet store. This betta died within a week so they decided to get a Koi because one of the boys read online that they are very hardy... To make a long very painful story short they kept a koi in a 2 gallon "betta" tank. This Koi has lived for 3-4 years in this tank, I've exchanged a few texts with the boy and he said that he thinks the fish is fully grown because it never grew...

No doubt this fish is stunted but it has managed to survive so far

I just finished emptying out the 5gal I had the koi I just re homed in, and am currently setting it back up so ill have somewhere for this fish. It hasn't been brought over yet but I'm very unsure of what I'm getting myself into and have many many questions

1) I never bought a new better filter for the old koi because I found out it was getting re homed so quickly, but I think its gonna be awhile before I find a new home for this little guy so filter recommendations?

2) could this koi be transferred into a pond? I've been told he's kinda week to rephrase it nicely, so I'm worried how he would do with any other fish

3) any ideas what the life expectancy on this guy would be? I know from my last Koi post everyone said a stunted fish would get sick and die, but this guy hasn't yet.

4) what in the world do I feed him? I've been told he survived off betta pellets for about 6 months cause they just didnt buy new food after their betta died, and since then they fed him fish flakes. I have Koi pellets but is it better to feed him what he's used to when adjusting him to his new home

5) what kind of environment should I set up for him? lots of plants? I'm afraid to say it looks like this 5 gal tank will be his home for a little. I don't know anyone with a pond that is willing to take him and I don't have the ability to get him a bigger tank right now.

BottomDweller

1. A powerful external filter
2. Yes. I got 4 goldfish from a friend who kept them in a 5 gallon for many years. They were stuntd and unhealthy. They now live happily with my other goldfish in my pond.
3. Can't be sure but a lot shorter than a healthy koi.
4. You can change his diet as soon as you want. Frozen foods and vegetables make a good addition to pellets.

Christina98

1. A powerful external filter
2. Yes. I got 4 goldfish from a friend who kept them in a 5 gallon for many years. They were stuntd and unhealthy. They now live happily with my other goldfish in my pond.
3. Can't be sure but a lot shorter than a healthy koi.
4. You can change his diet as soon as you want. Frozen foods and vegetables make a good addition to pellets.

Thank you!!
are there any filter brands that work better then others?

BottomDweller

Fluval has worked really well for me

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Christina98
  • Koi
Replies
Views
RyleighJ
  • Quit
  • Koi
Replies
Views