Even before they came home:)...

1. cameronpalte Member Member

ok, so here's the deal. I bought 3 female guppies and 1 male guppy online at a pet store (petsolutions.com, their great by the way:)), anyway, so they arrived home, and I noticed 2/3 female guppies have a dark spot on the bottom near there tail fin. After some research I am pretty sure they are pregnant. I don't want to leave my pregnant guppies in the tank as I like fry and am not in the mood to create a protein snack for the other fish, so I was wondering if I manage to transfer my pregnant guppies, and keep there fry alive, do you guys know of any places I can sell the baby guppies for a good price? I want around $1, a baby guppy.

Oh, and in case guppy species make a difference, here is a link to the male and females I bought. The male costs $4, and the female $3, so I think $1 can get them sold quickly.

https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Fancy-Guppy-Male/I/Fancy-Guppy-Male.aspx
    https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Fancy-Guppy-Female/I/Fancy-Guppy-Female.aspx

Thanks ahead for help.

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

You could sell them online or to your LFS. LFS's usually only pay 1/3 of what they sell them for, so I dont really know how much you will get for then there.

3. cameronpalte Member Member

I don't really have an LFS near me, I am still looking to find one though:)... currently I am buying them online, but I don't think pet solutions will purchase them because they are too big. Do you know any websites to sell these too and around what price they offer.

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

"Fancy Guppy" equals "whatever mutt color combinations our suppliers sell us, or are born in our tanks." This isn't to say they aren't pretty, just that they're not worth any money. Most pet stores sell them for $1-2 apiece. Unless you can find a local market in fellow aquarists, you're very unlikely to get anything for them. A retailer isn't going to pay anything for something they can get for free.

This is an excellent reason to research something before buying it. Since you don't want the fry to be eaten, you're going to be left with tons of guppies, with no outlet for them.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:anim_65:I don't know how much you are going to get for guppies, I have 6 babies in my tank I am trying to give away right now because I don't have the room to keep them. I thought I might put them on Craig's List and find a good home for them.

6. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Guppies arent what you would want to get for selling fish.You'll get 25 cents for a guppy and thats generous.I have the same problem but im finding homes for them.

May I ask you just stared your tank why do you have it filled already its prob not ready. Your fish are more than likely to die.

7. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, than so I guess I'll have to rehome them or let the babies get eaten.

8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

They are great food for fish so i dont think you have to rehome them just use them as feeders.