evaporation

1. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

Ok I have a question. I have a 10gal with a hood and I have a 55gal with a glass top. If I leave my tank open with no top how will that effect my house? Will I have trouble with mold or mildew?

The reason I ask is that I am getting ANOTHER 55gal this weekend... yes I know.... MTS is really starting to kill me. But I am trying to figure out if I need a hood for it or just leave it open with a "halo" light or something like that?

2. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

it is according to you fish you are looking to keep, I've never known of mold problems

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

leaving it open shouldnt hurt for mold or mildew, but many fish can jump out, dust can fall in etc..its more safe to have a cover but its not needed per say

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I run a 46, 75, 50, and 120 open top and it doesn't cause mold problems in my house. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

For my lighting, I use fixtures that have mounting legs that sit on the frame of the tank. The lights sit over the water a little bit and can't be knocked in as long as the legs are adjusted properly.

5. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I have my 56 gallon mostly open (there's a light down the middle) I've only lost 1 WCMM due to jumping. However I find that there is alot of evap from it (I'm adding at least 3 gallons a week to it between water changes) granted I like to keep the water level high to help with the filter noise but I'd recommend a hood anyway. Walking into my 1 bedroom apartment was a lot like walking into a sauna all winter due to the humidity in the apartment. If you only have a light fixture you can use tinfoil to cover the back of the tank at least to help cut down the evap. losses.

6. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

I covered my 125 completely due to the loss of my black clown and not wanting to lose my Helfrichi's lol.... I would cry

7. m

mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I had a 38g with no hood for a week and I was surprised at how much water was lost in that short amount of time. I have no actual facts to back this up but I would assume it's tougher on the heater as you are losing so much heat without a lid.

8. OP
    OP
    x

Ok, Thank you everyone for the replies!

Conclusion:

Personal preference but loose a lot of water due to evaperation but no mildew or mold. Humidity will be increased.

How about the smell? I noticed my 10gal has a little bit of an odor.

9. Fish_Man

Fish_Man Valued Member Member

the natural smell is great! =)

I thought the carbon would get rid of the smell in the tank.

10. OP
    OP
    x

I am a bit of a clean freak in my house. If it doesn't smell like clean laundry I go crazy!! I love my fish though... and they love how clean the tanks stay ;D

11. harpua2002

Scented candles/oil burners do not harm fish IME. You could keep your house smelling fresh and still do the open top tank. :p

Just remember, no air freshener sprays!

12. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I think the evaporation is worse in the winter.

13. harpua2002

I agree, it is MUCH worse for us in the winter. With our 3 SW tanks, we are topping off with about 2.5 gallons of RO every day!

14. D

DaveofTN Valued Member Member

I would use a lid. Unless you have some very clean RO water, not only do you have to refill more often due to evaporation, but the evaporation has a tendency of leaving lime/calcium/salt buildups that you have to clean as well. Even with city water, I had white residues when I had my hood off.

Also, with three tanks, that's quite a few watts of heating going on. In the winter, will definitely add a few bucks to your electricity bill.

15. OP
    OP
    x

Glad you mentioned no air freshener sprays!

How about the plug ins.... are they fine?

16. OP
    OP
    x

Note added!

anyone know where I can buy two hoods for 2 55gal tanks? 48X13X19 I think are the demensions.

I will go open for a while and see how that works (turning summer time) and they may buy some hoods. Needs to be cheap though... MTS is starting to hit the budget! :;dk

17. harpua2002

Plug Ins are fine.

The problem with buying hoods for a 55 is that they aren't standardized from brand to brand. For example, I have a Top Fin 55. It came with 2 plastic hoods that I couldn't use with my PC light fixture, so I ordered glass hoods to replace them. The center brace was too wide for the glass hoods to sit properly in the frame. I returned those and bought one 4 foot glass top. That time, the length was perfect, but the center brace in my tank isn't recessed so the top still did not sit correctly on the frame. All Glass Aquarium brand (or Aqueon if it's a newer tank) will work with either the 2 glass hoods or the one 4 foot hood. The center brace is narrower and it is recessed. I hope that made sense, lol.

Check the manufacturer on your tank before deciding on a hood. There should be a sticker on the bottom glass by the bottom brace, or under the top brace visible through the glass, that tells you when the tank was made and by what company. If your tank is Top Fin or Perfecto, you may need to get glass cut for you.

18. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I have a few :whistling: fish tanks...and im wondering what you are smelling? I dont notice a smell in the house per say, nor do I smell an abnormal smell in the tanks (but of course it doesnt smell like roses LOL)

19. OP
    OP
    x

Ok... that works. My center brace on the 55gal I have set up is broke. With water in it the brace has about a 1 inch gap. My husband has plans to make a bracket to pull it back together.

Thanks for the help!

20. harpua2002

You may want to drop the water level as low as you can.... I'd hate to hear that your tank cracked!