Evaporation And Effects Neocaridina Shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Fahn, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I'm setting up a 5 gallon shrimp tank. I tried a versatop lid but it is about ⅛" too long... So here is my dilemma.

As water evaporates in my tanks, I just top off as needed with my tap water. However, it is my understanding that this increases the concentration of minerals in the water.

Is this detrimental to neocaradina varieties? I don't fully understand TDS but know shrimp are sensitive to fluctuations. I've only ever kept feeder shrimp with... less than laudable results... but attribute that to poor genetics and neglect during shipping.

Is an open top ok? I've considered getting the versatop trimmed but wouldn't know how...

2. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

If you are doing weekly water changes that should be fine, It won't evaporate that much in a few days.

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I have been watching Mark's Shrimp Tanks and he recommends only 1 or 2 water changes per month, in relation to TDS. However, most of his shrimp are Caridina varieties, which from my understanding are more challenging to keep.,

4. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

My cherries get a 50% water change once a week, (planted community tanks) plus a top off if necessary. If your numbers are higher due to increased minerals you can do a couple of back to back changes to reset them.

5. OP
    OP
    Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Should I get a TDS meter?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice