Evacuation?

1. Kilala_94 Initiate Member

I realize this isn't a very common problem but I'd appreciate any input you all had. In my 90G tank I've been using these cheap hollow ornaments just for the sake of giving the fish some hiding places, but I hadn't stirred the sand beneath them in quite awhile so today as I was doing a water change I took them out because they're a pain to clean and suddenly the worst sulfur smell just hit me. The sand beneath the ornaments was nearly black. I realize this is because of anaerobic bacteria making hydrogen sulfide but what I'm wondering is if I should get all my fish out and into some non smelly water asap? There must've been a lot of trapped gas because It smells horrible, I can barely stand to be in the same room with the tank. None of them are gasping at the surface and I've got two powerheads running to help aerate the tank.
    I can't find any info on what to do in this situation. Help?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

First thing I would do is a water change. Then I would go out and get some malaysian trumpet snails to keep the sand stirred and clean.

If it's really that bad I would probably remove the fish, drain the tank and wash the sand, then put it all back together.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup sounds like you have a gas problem in the tank. As stated the malasian trumpet snails will help stir the sand and assist in preventing this. You can also just use a tool to stir the sand regularly to help prevent this as well but Imo the snails are alot easier.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Whenever in doubt as what to do a water change is your first line of defense. In this case especially.
    It will take a bit for the Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) to multiply enough to keep the sand turned so in the meantime you will have to do it. A chopstick, wooden dowel, drinking straw etc anything you can reach the bottom of your tank with will do. Just push it through the sand every few inches once or twice a week will keep your sand aereated.
    carol