Euthanizing A Snail :(

emmysjj
EbiAqua
Why are you wanting to euthanize it? Is it damaged or exhibiting any signs of distress?

TBH, snail's brains aren't even advanced enough to feel pain, they are just wired to react instinctively to external stimuli. Putting it in the freezer in a cup of water overnight would be an easy method (not recommended for fish as they CAN feel pain).

emmysjj
She hasn’t moved for days, is floating, and is covered in this white, filmy stuff. It isn’t responding to my touch. It may be dead already. What will that smell like?

NLindsey921
Trust me you know. It smells like rotten fish to the 100th degree.

emmysjj
Now that I’m checking, I’m pretty sure she’s dead. She kind of smells, but it’s not overpowering.

EbiAqua
She hasn’t moved for days, is floating, and is covered in this white, filmy stuff. It isn’t responding to my touch. It may be dead already. What will that smell like?

If your snail smells like low-tide crawled up a skunk's butt and died, you know it is dead.

NLindsey921
Lol. Definitely a better way to phrase it.
If your snail smells like low-tide crawled up a skunk's butt and died, you know it is dead.

Rtessy
Vodka alone would be painful, the freezer method is the best alternative. That being said, mystery snails are really weird, I think it's worth moving your snail to a separate continer. I have one that has this slimy infection that is slowly eroding the operculum, but he is otherwise healthy. There isn't much known about snail diseases, but pringlethesnail did a write up a little while ago.

DuaneV
Snails don't have complex nervous systems. They do not feel pain like other animals. And if its floating, hasnt moved and is covered in "goo", its more than likely dead.

emmysjj
It was dead I just came back from burying her.

RIP Açaí.

Smalltownfishfriend
It was dead I just came back from burying her.

RIP Açaí.
I am sorry!!

Goldiemom
So sorry.

Rtessy
I'm so sorry for you loss.

EbiAqua
Aww, sorry about your snail. They're such interesting creatures.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
H Farnsworth
Top Bottom