euthanize a fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brokenwing, Mar 22, 2010.

1. b

brokenwing Well Known Member Member

Im not sure where to post this but I need help ASAP. I have a dwarf gourami laying on its back, unable to swim and struggling to breathe how do I put him to sleep. He is suffering.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

4. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

:( Sorry to hear he is unwell and I'm glad you have the heart to do this. I have heard of many ways and somebody is sure to provide links soon. There is one which requires alcohol but I can't remember exactly what, this is the most common method. I have also heard you can put him in a bag of tank water and leave him in the freezer over night. However I would wait for somebody with links to come along.

Ninja'd by Ken and Meenu :p

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry.

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry. :(
    I've had to do this several times and clove oil is the most humane method IMO.

7. OP
    OP
    b

okay thanks everyone, Im going to run out to the store here shortly and try to track down some clove oil and vodka.

8. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh, Ben, this sounds like a slow, horrible death! It seems like the fish would slowly die as the water gets slowly colder. :(

9. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Thats what I thought when I got told so I ignored it. I have never used this method, I have never culled a fish for that matter.

10. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision:( We're all here for you and I commend you for doing what's best for the fish, as difficult as it is.:;hug2

11. AwNuts

AwNuts Valued Member Member

great to know on a proper way to euthanize a fish. thanks a million :)

12. OP
    OP
    b

update

So i was getting ready to euthanize spaz, but he passed on his own. I forgot to update this the other day, so thank you all for your quick responses. I looked at his body, no signs of injury, he was just lethargic and quit eating the past week. I think he had the indovirus after much research.

13. bolivianbaby

I'm so sorry you lost him. RIP little gourami.

14. OP
    OP
    b

thay you bolivian I appreciate it. No more gouramis until they get this indovirus squared away.

15. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Awwww, I'm so sorry you lost him! *hugs*

16. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry.

17. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Sorry you lost him................

18. bolivianbaby

I understand how you feel. I won't have dwarf gouramis either because of it.

Do you have honey gouramis available in your area? They're around the same size as the dwarf gouramis and they're immune to the virus. That way you could have your small gourami and not have to worry about the virus.

Hope this helps:;hug2

19. OP
    OP
    b

thats a great idea. I know petsmart has honey gouramis, but i refuse to buy fish from them, no matter what I do they never make it. I will give my lfs a call, he has great quality fish, and see if he has any honeys. I really wanted one but was afraid of the honey getting the indovirus.

20. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you lost him

In terms of the freezer method. I had been told by someone that you put them in the fridge (rather than freezer). What this does is, when they get cold, they start to shut down their metabolism, and slow it down, when it gets colder, it shuts down more, until they pass.

Needless to say I felt a bit sick after hearing that and refused to EVER use that method. Shortly after, we bought clove oil to keep handy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice