European Fishkeepers Question.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello, I have a question. Does anyone know any European websites, pet store chains, for tropical fish that do deliveries within the EU. If the UK fish sale websites do deliveries within the EU, a British website would also be welcome. Thanks!

Edit: I might have to bump this because everyone in Europe is probably sleeping right now.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What country are we talking about specifically?

I know this store sells and delivers specialty aquarium stuff throughout Europe, but they won't ship fish (and I'm not sure how to get to the english version of the site. The page linked is with shipping rates to EU countries).

Edit: I had to look for a while because I knew there was one that did actually ship fish around here but I couldn't remember which one.

Matavi: Algemene voorwaarden
They ship fish to the European countries listed on the website. Prices are pretty good for the fish themselves but shipping itself is really expensive... Note: this is not an endorsement, I have no experience with their service and have never ordered fish there.

Also Koicompagnie: Vissen online bestellen en aan huis laten bezorgen?
But they will ship only to Belgium and West Germany (because apparently that is still a country ...?)

Last edited:

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What country are we talking about specifically?

I know this store sells and delivers specialty aquarium stuff throughout Europe, but they won't ship fish (and I'm not sure how to get to the english version of the site. The page linked is with shipping rates to EU countries).

Edit: I had to look for a while because I knew there was one that did actually ship fish around here but I couldn't remember which one.

Matavi: Algemene voorwaarden
They ship fish to the European countries listed on the website. Prices are pretty good for the fish themselves but shipping itself is really expensive... Note: this is not an endorsement, I have no experience with their service and have never ordered fish there.

Also Koicompagnie: Vissen online bestellen en aan huis laten bezorgen?
But they will ship only to Belgium and West Germany (because apparently that is still a country ...?)
Thanks I wanted to get an idea of how the pricing is on the continent. I scrolled through the websites. I ran them through a translator. They seem pretty nice price wise. Some stuff is more expensive than what you can find in the US. I would not have imagined for the middle website (Matavi) shipping prices are higher than those from state to state in the United States. Looks like 20-30 euros extra if compared to American shipping rates, if you buy from them. But for the other websites the shipping is reasonable and cheaper than the USA. Well it is good to know, I am slowly starting to collect as much information about the hobby in Europe. There is a possibility that I will be moving back to the EU at some point, but I keep expanding my tanks and already making plans for a third tank and more fish. If I do end up moving, I'll most likely break my tanks up and ship them ahead of my arrival and travel with the fish. :D Or do it the easy way and gift everything to a friend and start over there. :arghh: Which would also be a total waste of money. But.. Traveling with your fish seems like a crazy, crazy thing to do.. A third option would be gifting the fish and shipping your equipment and buying the fish from there. Which is what I am looking at as the most realistic option.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks I wanted to get an idea of how the pricing is on the continent. I scrolled through the websites. I ran them through a translator. They seem pretty nice price wise. Some stuff is more expensive than what you can find in the US. I would not have imagined for the middle website (Matavi) shipping prices are higher than those from state to state in the United States. Looks like 20-30 euros extra if compared to American shipping rates, if you buy from them. But for the other websites the shipping is reasonable and cheaper than the USA. Well it is good to know, I am slowly starting to collect as much information about the hobby in Europe. There is a possibility that I will be moving back to the EU at some point, but I keep expanding my tanks and already making plans for a third tank and more fish. If I do end up moving, I'll most likely break my tanks up and ship them ahead of my arrival and travel with the fish. :D Or do it the easy way and gift everything to a friend and start over there. :arghh: Which would also be a total waste of money. But.. Traveling with your fish seems like a crazy, crazy thing to do.. A third option would be gifting the fish and shipping your equipment and buying the fish from there. Which is what I am looking at as the most realistic option.
Aaah, I see, from that perspective :)

Well unfortunately it appears (as I also read on some websites while doing research for you) that the EU recently tightened regulations regarding shipping live animals including fish. Some of the websites I encountered shipped fish before but now no longer do so (since this or last year) because of the regulations. I imagine the rules are quite a bit more demanding than those in the U.S. The high shipping costs of Matavi might be related to that as indeed shipping regular stuff doesn't cost much at all.
I can't speak for other countries but I have the impression fish, especially specialty fish, are cheaper over here. That is comparing what I've seen some users post that they pair for a fish and the prices I see in shops I've visited (and I've visited quite a few courtesy of costless public transport and the high population- and thus shop density here).

I spoke to a couple a few weeks ago that were moving from Amsterdam to Poland. They wanted to take their Discus with them due to the value and the sentimentality - they had been bought as juveniles - and had ordered all the stuff necessary for safe transport, temperature insulation, etc. online and planned to just take them in their car. They'd even had a test run with her other - less expensive - fish (they were his discus. Hilarity ensued.)
So you could always consider shipping them across the ocean to the cheapest location, and then just picking them up and transporting them yourself DIY.
... but you mentioned the UK right? Eh. That might be a problem, the UK has very annoying rules about importing live animals (mandatory quarantine periods for certain animals, not sure if that goes for fish?) and I don't imagine the upcoming brexit will make things any better.

... it would be an amazing story to have fish from across the pond, travelled all the way with you. I wouldn't bother for a guppy or a killi but for a fish that may live 10+ years .. maybe.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aaah, I see, from that perspective :)

Well unfortunately it appears (as I also read on some websites while doing research for you) that the EU recently tightened regulations regarding shipping live animals including fish. Some of the websites I encountered shipped fish before but now no longer do so (since this or last year) because of the regulations. I imagine the rules are quite a bit more demanding than those in the U.S. The high shipping costs of Matavi might be related to that as indeed shipping regular stuff doesn't cost much at all.
I can't speak for other countries but I have the impression fish, especially specialty fish, are cheaper over here. That is comparing what I've seen some users post that they pair for a fish and the prices I see in shops I've visited (and I've visited quite a few courtesy of costless public transport and the high population- and thus shop density here).

I spoke to a couple a few weeks ago that were moving from Amsterdam to Poland. They wanted to take their Discus with them due to the value and the sentimentality - they had been bought as juveniles - and had ordered all the stuff necessary for safe transport, temperature insulation, etc. online and planned to just take them in their car. They'd even had a test run with her other - less expensive - fish (they were his discus. Hilarity ensued.)
So you could always consider shipping them across the ocean to the cheapest location, and then just picking them up and transporting them yourself DIY.
... but you mentioned the UK right? Eh. That might be a problem, the UK has very annoying rules about importing live animals (mandatory quarantine periods for certain animals, not sure if that goes for fish?) and I don't imagine the upcoming brexit will make things any better.

... it would be an amazing story to have fish from across the pond, travelled all the way with you. I wouldn't bother for a guppy or a killi but for a fish that may live 10+ years .. maybe.
Thank you for you help and research. Fortunately, I have some time to look into all this before I make the move of shipping them or travelling with them or simply buying new. Yes, the rules and regulations differ from country to country, but I imagine they should somewhat be along similar lines, since the EU is supposedly all about integrating and eliminating beurocrat difficulties and making trade and travel easier. At least that was the story growing up in the EU some 20 years ago.

Of course, the UK is a problem. Fortunately I am not from the UK nor do I plan moving there (especially after Brexit). But I have experienced their annoying rules when I traveled with a pet to a former British colony currently one of the "commonwealth" countries. I mean they still have the Queen on their currently. I never understood that obsession of former British colonies modeling everything after Great Britain, but who am I to say what is right and not. Anyhow they had to quarantine my pet for 14 days and I had to provide extensive proof that it was healthy. But since we are dealing with fish and not cats, it might be an other preachers gospel.

Well honestly, I have not seen Black Ruby Barbs on some of the websites I visited. I am sure they exist, but so far my search came out to nothing. So I am thinking of having them transported since they are juveniles right now, but by the time I make the move they will be older adults. They might not live for 10 years but they can reach up to 5 years, so I am hoping to bring those with me. Perhaps even purchase two more schools of juveniles a couple of months before moving. Ironically if I transported this fish out of Sri Lanka, it would be highly illegal.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for you help and research. Fortunately, I have some time to look into all this before I make the move of shipping them or travelling with them or simply buying new. Yes, the rules and regulations differ from country to country, but I imagine they should somewhat be along similar lines, since the EU is supposedly all about integrating and eliminating beurocrat difficulties and making trade and travel easier. At least that was the story growing up in the EU some 20 years ago.

Of course, the UK is a problem. Fortunately I am not from the UK nor do I plan moving there (especially after Brexit). But I have experienced their annoying rules when I traveled with a pet to a former British colony currently one of the "commonwealth" countries. I mean they still have the Queen on their currently. I never understood that obsession of former British colonies modeling everything after Great Britain, but who am I to say what is right and not. Anyhow they had to quarantine my pet for 14 days and I had to provide extensive proof that it was healthy. But since we are dealing with fish and not cats, it might be an other preachers gospel.

Well honestly, I have not seen Black Ruby Barbs on some of the websites I visited. I am sure they exist, but so far my search came out to nothing. So I am thinking of having them transported since they are juveniles right now, but by the time I make the move they will be older adults. They might not live for 10 years but they can reach up to 5 years, so I am hoping to bring those with me. Perhaps even purchase two more schools of juveniles a couple of months before moving. Ironically if I transported this fish out of Sri Lanka, it would be highly illegal.
I haven't heard of those or seen them in any shops here...
Oh, I thought since you asked about the UK specifically that you were moving there. Moving pets across continental EU borders is not any problem at all, because there aren't any. Borders, that is. Even at the ones they now check due to the immigration crisis you have an absolutely minimal chance of getting stopped especially if you don't look like what they are looking for and aren't driving a blinded van, so to speak. I do expect some kind of restriction or check up on importing them to any EU country from outside the EU, but I'm sure you can sort that out in the time you have.

Top Bottom