European eel care??

Flounderman553
hey looking for anyone with good knowledge on large eels I work at an exotic aquarium store and someone had brought in a very unusual specimen a European eel he is currently 1 foot long and is not aggressive towards people. I’m worried that I’ll won’t be able to keep it healthy though because I don’t know the first thing about an eel like this I can’t get it to way either I’ve tried everything minnows, feeder guppies, goldfish, prawns, ghost shrimp, clams, crab meat, and even small frogs to no avail if anyone has any info on how their raised in captivity I would highly appreciate some info I would be really sad to loose such an usual visitor

Fahn
Was it a wild-caught specimen?

Flounderman553
Fahn said:
Was it a wild-caught specimen?
No idea it was traded in by someone so I have no knowledge on its background
All I’ve heard on this traded in eels background is it was possibly an illegal import that he had gotten from somewhere else and I guess he couldn’t care for it so he just dropped the poor thing off in a Home Depot bucket in front of my store I’ve done everything I can to make him comfortable I’ve used one of our 120 gallon tanks and made a slightly brackish aquarium that has a rock set up similar to what I do for my moray eels. He’s very well behaved. Tends not to go after me even if I clean his tank unlike my more aggressive moray eels. I’ve got a picture below

Fahn
I know in my limited experience with morays, they stress easily and may not eat for a week or two once they are stressed. A snowflake eel somebody traded in at the store I used to work at regurgitated the shrimp it was fed and refused to eat for me. It wasn't until a few weeks later after I transferred it to our other store that it seemed to be doing well.

Zach72202
Honestly since this isn't really an aquarium fish you could read some general research articles about it online. What I would try is turning the lights off, as they are nocturnal, giving it live nightcrawlers or worms. If they don't take right away, which I wouldn't expect it to, just leave the worm in there.

Haydeno
I’ve never kept larger eel but a general run down is that most eels are nocturnal predators, stress very easy and can be difficult to get established as they hide and not eat for a while. I’m not sure if that’s a freshwater or brackish but the eel I keep is one of the smallest eels I could find and is freshwater. The half banded spiny eel. From what I’ve seen is that they love live shrimp like ghost shrimp. Mine wiped out a whole colony of them at only 5 inches. And very small fish and fish fry would be the way to go for live foods. Just give them time to hunt at night and they will. Second they will not accept freeze dried food. Go with at least frozen foods.

Latest threads

Top Bottom