Ethics: Where do our bettas come from?

chrt396
I think that most of us treat our fish with a gentleness that is borderline overcautious. Therefore...when you see a little fish being manhandled in any way...MANY folks tend to be sensitive to that. I have a few of those relationships with a select number of fish. It would upset me to see them sick or worse yet..die. As I said previously...I can understand the shipping methods to allow them to arrive safe...but not 30-40 little bags stuffed in a gallon bag and then thrown around like a bag of dog food.

Advertisement
Bluestreakfl
I think that most of us treat our fish with a gentleness that is borderline overcautious. Therefore...when you see a little fish being manhandled in any way...MANY folks tend to be sensitive to that. I have a few of those relationships with a select number of fish. It would upset me to see them sick or worse yet..die. As I said previously...I can understand the shipping methods to allow them to arrive safe...but not 30-40 little bags stuffed in a gallon bag and then thrown around like a bag of dog food.

I agree with this. I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for a fish that I knew was shipped a bit more on the gentle side and in a bit more spacious of a container. Heck even if I had to pay a bit more because the store gave each betta a 1 gallon display tank with a sponge filter on it. In the long run you could get one big air pump to run a ton of 1 gallon sponges, it would pay itself off. The bettas I feel would look and be much healthier, brighter, and happier. This would result in better sales due to healthier fish.

chrt396
I agree with this. I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for a fish that I knew was shipped a bit more on the gentle side and in a bit more spacious of a container. Heck even if I had to pay a bit more because the store gave each betta a 1 gallon display tank with a sponge filter on it. In the long run you could get one big air pump to run a ton of 1 gallon sponges, it would pay itself off. The bettas I feel would look and be much healthier, brighter, and happier. This would result in better sales due to healthier fish.

Obviously..the fish hobby is a big one...and every child in the world gets a Betta or a Goldfish as their first pet. They sell MILLIONS of these little guys. The breeders and brokers treat them as a commodity..and get as many to the retailers as they can. There will be some fatalities in the process..but as you know, they are not invested in the personalities of the fish like we as hobbyists are.
I know that when I first started this hobby...the fish were inexpensive and if one died...I could buy more. Fast forward a whole three months..and I now name the darn things! I get upset if one dies. I haven't gotten to the point of having a funeral for them..with full color guard...but I'm sure that's coming.

Advertisement
escapay
I know one of the local stores gets some fish from a local breeder - that is where I ended up with my male and female.

As for the blue water at Petsmart - my store changes the water on the new bettas and all the other bettas when they come in. The water will still have a hint of blue for the new ones, but goes away at the next water change. Also, they are shipped in the cups to my store - not the bags.

One of my other LFS receives their bettas in the small bags though. They keep them in many of the tanks there for sale. It would be nice for us to do that at my store, but most of them have either guppies, other anabantoids, or fish that will likely attempt to nip at them.

Bluestreakfl
I ended up going to petland, because it was closer, and they've always had really good customer service. They had their bettas on pretty decent sized cups, that had big almost quarter sized air holes. They looked well maintained as if they actually keep water changed. They had probably about 40 or so generic bettas, and then about 8 fancies. I ended up finding a handsome half moon rosetail.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1433902736.580355.jpg

BornThisWayBettas
Gorgeous!

Brisilda Kodra
And honestly it all comes down to the owner who should do research before owning a pet fish

owning a pet fish is more then just water changes abd feeding them

Annie424
I ended up going to petland, because it was closer, and they've always had really good customer service. They had their bettas on pretty decent sized cups, that had big almost quarter sized air holes. They looked well maintained as if they actually keep water changed. They had probably about 40 or so generic bettas, and then about 8 fancies. I ended up finding a handsome half moon rosetail.

View attachment 170256

He's really a lovely betta!

_Fried_Bettas_
Interesting topic.

Bluestreak, your betta is pretty.

It is fairly safe to say that any ThaI breeder selling show quality bettas online, raise them in very good condition, because the betta needs that care to become show quality and not get damaged.

Unfortunately I suspect the bettas being sold for $3-5 dollars get decent treatment rarely, because it becomes more important at that price point to produce a lot of lower quality bettas cheaply, and some losses are just part of the operating cost (much like any other common fish in a fish store).

Local breeders vary greatly. I have sold bettas to fish stores, and will probably do it again, even though they don't pay much, it is better than culling.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Biiba
Replies
Views
escapay
  • Question
Replies
Views
Biiba