Ethics of buying a mini tank?

Bamboothebetta

I am going to be moving my marimo balls out of my aquarium and was looking at a 1/2 gallon cube “betta tank” for them that is on sale at PETSMART. I don’t intend to put anything else in these besides the marimo and possibly some rocks or wood etc... for decor. Since I’m going to put it in my windowless bathroom, I like that it includes a light and would look like a mini aquarium in my bathroom (minus any live animals).

While I would be using a small tank responsibly, I’m wondering whether or not it’s still ethical to buy one- giving the pet store the impression people buy that size tank and thus keeping them in stock where other people who would put a betta or other fish in it might buy one. Do you think I’m overthinking this? Should I buy the tank or not?

Best Answer - View JettsPapa's answer

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Bamboothebetta said:
I am going to be moving my marimo balls out of my aquarium and was looking at a 1/2 gallon cube “betta tank” for them that is on sale at PETSMART. I don’t intend to put anything else in these besides the marimo and possibly some rocks or wood etc... for decor. Since I’m going to put it in my windowless bathroom, I like that it includes a light and would look like a mini aquarium in my bathroom (minus any live animals).

While I would be using a small tank responsibly, I’m wondering whether or not it’s still ethical to buy one- giving the pet store the impression people buy that size tank and thus keeping them in stock where other people who would put a betta or other fish in it might buy one. Do you think I’m overthinking this? Should I buy the tank or not?
I think those tanks will be around forever so you buying one/ or not buying one wouldn’t make a difference either way

Joshaeus

Well Known
I can certainly see where you are coming from...those tiny sizes are definitely good for marimo balls, maybe shrimp (in the case of somewhat larger tanks), or even pico reefs, but not bettas. Sadly, I don't think enough people could be convinced to use larger tanks for their bettas to get these companies to rebrand these tanks.

MacZ

Well Known
You have a point.
I would not buy one, BUT:
In the end you will have to discuss that with yourself.

Sauceboat

If you want it you should get it. If one person buys the mini tanks it won’t make them keep it in stock or throw them out, they must be getting monthly sales for the mini takes to become practical to keep in those big stores. I personally am not a big fan of the giant price for those cheap little plastic things and instead I just picked up a 1/2 gallon candle holder bowl for I think 3ish dollars with a coupon at Michaels.

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Sauceboat said:
If you want it you should get it. If one person buys the mini tanks it won’t make them keep it in stock or throw them out, they must be getting monthly sales for the mini takes to become practical to keep in those big stores. I personally am not a big fan of the giant price for those cheap little plastic things and instead I just picked up a 1/2 gallon candle holder bowl for I think 3ish dollars with a coupon at Michaels.
it’s a glass tank with a lid and LED. It’s on sale for $12 and I just think it looks a little nicer than a candle holder personally‍♀

Joshaeus said:
I can certainly see where you are coming from...those tiny sizes are definitely good for marimo balls, maybe shrimp (in the case of somewhat larger tanks), or even pico reefs, but not bettas. Sadly, I don't think enough people could be convinced to use larger tanks for their bettas to get these companies to rebrand these tanks.
Unfortunately, you’re probably right about companies not rebranding the tiny tanks. They do have valid uses, but not for fish to live in.

Sauceboat

Bamboothebetta said:
it’s a glass tank with a lid and LED. It’s on sale for $12 and I just think it looks a little nicer than a candle holder personally‍♀
Yeah, that does sound good. I say go for it

VeiltailKing

Well Known
They will be bought eventually anyways. As a single costumer, your purchase will likely not have any effect on their impressions.

CorydorasCats

Bamboothebetta said:

I don’t think you buying it or not would make a single difference to whether the store stock them or not (unfortunately).

froggymommy

I don't think you're overthinking it, but if you buy it then definitely leave a negative review saying that it's absolutely not ok for anything but plants.

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

So I did get it. I hope my little marimos recover in their own tank with lower light/temp/a pinch of salt. I think it looks pretty nice. I cannot imagine putting a fish in this tank tho.

froggymommy said:
I don't think you're overthinking it, but if you buy it then definitely leave a negative review saying that it's absolutely not ok for anything but plants.
I am going to be leaving a review about this tank being extremely tiny and not suitable for anything but plants. It’s not that much bigger than one of those cups they sell betta in.

Attachments

aquachris

I see it that you did the right thing, you used it the right way, and not for a betta. All you can do is educate other people.

aquachris

smee82 said:
Im trying to see where ethics comes into it.
I would guess due to the fact of buying something that is used for betta's that is way too small. By buying it, it might feel like you are supporting them by increasing their sales, as opposed to boycotting.

Fae

Bamboothebetta said:
So I did get it. I hope my little marimos recover in their own tank with lower light/temp/a pinch of salt. I think it looks pretty nice. I cannot imagine putting a fish in this tank tho.

I am going to be leaving a review about this tank being extremely tiny and not suitable for anything but plants. It’s not that much bigger than one of those cups they sell betta in.
I think that looks fantastic! And I totally see where you're coming from, I'd overthink it too ;) in the end, they can say "vote with your dollars" all they want, but we've seen even something like a global pandemic isn't enough to seriously shake up the established system. I say do what you want, but educate others if they're open to it :)

kanzekatores

Well Known
If we’re talking about ethics here, I would say buying it would be more ethical then letting someone else buy it for a betta.

I can’t say I really enjoy things like what you’re talking about; a tank without fish. It reminds me of those fake tanks with the neon jellyfish swimming around. But in the end, fish tanks are most used for our enjoyment, not the health of what’s in them.

What’s ethical is not taking those fish from their environments in the first place and not putting them in glass boxes. There’s so much discussion of stocking and chemical levels and tank setup and plants. But in the end, they’re in a glass box, and that doesn’t change. The amount of fish in the tank doesn’t drastically change their level of comfort; they aren’t comfortable to begin with, being in a limited amount of water, illuminated by a light, and looked at by things outside of the tank.

I would say go ahead and buy it; just because it doesn’t have a moving creature in it doesn’t mean it won’t be just as enjoyable.

Magnus919

Check out the "Life in Jars" channel on YouTube. Starting with like a half gallon or one gallon jar from your local big box retailer, just filling it up with pond water or salt marsh water, etc. and see what develops. It's really fascinating, and can make such an ecosystem really interesting for up to a year or so before it has to be rebooted.

New Threads