Ethical debate

Discussion in 'Fishkeeping Hot Topics' started by psalm18.2, Dec 3, 2012.

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

We buy a fish. It grows large. We plan a tank upgrade. Doesn't happen. Fish will need bigger due to all kinds of issues.

Would it be ethical to euthanize said fish? Sure we could re-home, but will they really get good homes? What if the re-home gives lousy care and said fish die a horrid death?

(This is a debate. I do not want to advocate this or the improper care of animals. Keep it civil and clean people)

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

3. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

In certain cases, I see euthanasia as more kind than letting a fish suffer.

When rescuing fish from horrible conditions. It can be preferable to euthanize a fish vs letting it slowly rot away in a tiny tank. Assuming you've exhausted all other options.

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

I would absolutely not euthanize or even rehome unless I knew the said animal would be well taken care of. First off, I never purchase fish without intensive research beforehand; therefore this would never be an issue for me. But if I were to run into this dilemma, I certainly would not be so cheap as to not buy a big rubbermaid tub for temporary purposes. If worst came to worst, I may even dig a hole in the backyard and get out the tarp and duct tape. Euthanization is never the answer for healthy fish:)

5. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Fish are eaten. People fish.

Will that great home turn out being worse than death?

The questions are endless yet we do our best.

6. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

There are fish that are extremely difficult to house. The most common is Pacu. A full grown Pacu is massive. They can be almost impossible to re-home.

That's a nice thought Tigress but not always possible. Sometimes reality plays a major role in this decision.

7. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

pita would flip out lol

i feel putting a animal down if its not being eaten or for some good reason then im against it. if you want to put him down and eat him then ok but im pretty sure your not suppose to eat pet store fish.

would you rather me kill you or go to jail? most pick jail and avoid the death sentence so im sure if the fish had a choice he would pick jail. now i would not keep him in jail as i have a heart. id at least give him a chance at a pet store. i know most people dont research but some do. he could just as easily go to a good home as bad.

i wouldnt buy a pacu and dont thing they should be sold so that is all wrong in my eyes. if i some how ended up with a pacu idk what i would do..... the lesson here is to leave them in the wild!!! but im assuming were talking something more reasonable then pacu, arawana, ect... prob spelled wrong :)

8. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

I'll admit that I enjoy fishing and consuming fish, however this does not mean I feel any less for my aquatic companions. I suppose, in my mind, that there are the fish to be eaten and ones that are not. I don't wish for any being to suffer, therefore I refuse to let it be so. This is just how I am. Call me a hypocrite if you must;)
    Nothing is impossible for the Bat, but I realize others may not be the same way.

9. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

I've euthanized fish before because of incurable disease or deformity. I would also consider euthanizing a fish if, all options being exhausted, there was no place for it to go due to its size. Over the years I have learned to be very very very diligent in what fish I buy, and to have a backup plan in place before it becomes too large-- but mostly to simply get fish that I know I'll be able to keep.

To be honest, I gave up practicing the hobby for some time due to this and other animal rights issues. I still retain those opinions to a certain extent, but am also a pragmatist: People will keep aquariums whenever they can, and the best we can do is help them do it right so that the animals don't suffer.

But to answer your question, I do not have a moral problem with euthanizing a fish if nothing else is possible. However I am an even stronger advocate for getting small, manageable fish. Don't get a doberman if you live in a one-room apartment; don't get a fish that will outgrow the size of tank it humanely needs to thrive.

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

There are so many irresponsible fish keepers out there. They buy massive fish for tiny tanks.

Jojo, would you rather live your life in a prison cell that is filled to the ceiling with your own waste?

11. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

If you've read my Pacu thread, you already know my answer.

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I didn't want to bring you up Zeez but I remember :)

13. bankruptjojo

if i had a pacu he would be by himself in a 125g so thats not to bad. and the fact is i would clean the tank every day so mine would not be in his own filth. if you took care of the tank enough he would not have to be in filth, almost no matter the tank size.

never saw it.... what happened? a quick summery would be good :)

14. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

A Pacu will outgrow a 125. They get up to 3 feet long.

15. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I'd be looking at more like 300g+ for a pacu. I've seen an adult one....

I know this sounds horrid but has anyone considered turning an oversized fish into dinner if you couldn't find a suitable home for it? Seems like such a waste to kill it without use. Maybe cook it for a homeless person.

16. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

They aren't fed human grade feed and haven't been treated with chemicals that are safe for humans. I wouldn't eat an aquarium fish.

17. bankruptjojo

i know. that is a lil smaller than a jail cell compared to humans. but again when your faced with the choice it seems most will choose life over death.

obviously there are tanks that just wont work and someone will not have a choice at all. really the only choice is to put the fish down or throw him in a lake and that is a big NO NO! so if putting him down is what you have to do then i guess its the only option, but i would be completely fine with doing the same to whoever put the animal in that situation. i understand the food chain but killing for no reason is not good. i kinda feel like fish keeping in general is bad, but i feel im giving my fish a better life then they could ever have in the wild. big enough tanks, no predators, all the food they can eat lol.

i hate laws and am usually against them, but there need to be more laws about what can be sold animal wise. i cant buy a lion so why are pacu's for sale.

will big aquariums like bass pro take huge fish? maybe the zoo?

18. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Pacu are, also, very edible I believe...

19. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Zeez tried a ton of zooz and a whole bunch of other places. He tried much harder than I would have, still couldn't find a good place to take a Pacu he rescued.

20. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Sometimes big aquariums will take them, but not often. Someone from here might:

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice