Ethan's 50l Reef

1. Esimm03 (xbox62)

Esimm03 (xbox62) Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    So I thought of creating a small thread so I can ask questions without clogging up fishlore with individual questions threads, and also to show my tank off as I have a tendency to accidentally hijack other people's threads.

Just in case it's useful here's a quick rundown of my setup,

50l nano reef with an e27 light and hob filtration, there's no skimmer but I have a small cheato refugium in the hob for nutrient export, I also plan on converting my old 15L into a sump to run a nano skimmer.

As for stoking I have the following:
    2x occ clowns
    2x sexy shrimp
    4x red legged hermet crabs
    1xnassarius snail
    1x turbo snail
    1x cleaner goby
    1x tube worm

And for coral:

Acan
    Kenya tree
    Mushroom
    2x candy cane
    Hammerhead
    Numerous zoas
    Mystery guy that came on my LR
    Gsp
    Toadstool

(Pics below)

So my fist question is what else can I add that is cool and interactive, I like chromis but I'm not sure if they will be ok in the size I have, anyone got any good suggestions? (Id prefer to Steer away from blennys/gobys for now as my tail spot sadly jumped️), I'm going to build a new lid soon though.

Thanks in advance!
    Ethan 20180522_164244.jpg 20180525_153714.jpg 20180525_153721.jpg 20180525_153711.jpg 20180523_194555.jpg

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Beautiful!
    @stella1979 Could you help Ethan with his questions? I know nothing about saltwater.

3. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Thanks , no worries if you don't know much about SW, thanks for tagging @stella1979 in too!

4. Fanatic

Yw! I may be getting a 100 gallon FOWLR soon! :)

5. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey Ethan! Great first post for a new 'build thread', (though I know your tank is established.;) )

So, sorry to say it, but you're still working with a pretty small tank, and the cube shape doesn't offer a lot as far as separate territories go. With that said, I wouldn't put more than 3 fish in the tank, and you'd do best to go with a sand or rock-dweller... This means gobies or blennies, which you said you'd like to avoid until the new lid. Thing is, most marine fish are jumpers, so I do have some ideas, but they'd need a good lid too. Anyhow, the only fish I can come up with aside from blennies and gobies are the smallest wrasses... a white banded possum or perhaps a pink streak. You might get away with a single pj or bengaii cardinal, but these are pretty stationary fish and didn't really meet your requirement of cool and interactive.:)

@Fanatic - Yaaassssss! :D:D I am so excited to hear your news. Can't wait!!

6. Fanatic

My dad got very interested in a 100 gallon tank, with a sump! We just might plan on getting it. I’ll call you out here with a build thread :D

7. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Hope you do and that it goes well , were all here to help!

Ooh, I love cardinals, (interesting overrides the active requirement on these guys).

I built a quick lid out of plywood and a mosquito net, but my grandad is a professional carpenter and is building me one out of perspex and some sort of mesh. I could get a blenny or something now (probably will) but ill be dreading coming home to it on the floor (not to mention the cost).

Also, I haven't really focused on my cuc for this tank, is it ok or should I add anybody else? I'd also like a large starfish (not a serpent star but one of those large blue ones) would they be ok and reef safe?

Thanks,
    Ethan

Defenatley go for it, it's strange.... My dad wasn't super keen on my fw tanks (I had 7 so I kinda understand) but one trip to the lfs and he was prepared to pay £££ for a high end reef.

Just to make you aware, you probably won't t have the fowlr in a year(you'll have a reef) you'll probably give in some day and get a cheap light and some small palys and then you won't stop buying coral.

Ethan

8. Fanatic

True! He wants to start off with just live rock and sand, then we’ll move on with some corals.

9. stella1979

Hey Ethan:) So, for your CUC - It looks like you've got good algae eaters with the hermits, but I'd still suggest a couple of algae eating snails as they're better for smooth surfaces like the glass. I prefer banded trochus snails as they are capable of righting themselves if they fall over in the sand, while some other snails are unable to do so, meaning you'll have to turn them over or they may die of starvation.

I feel like I am always the bearer of bad news for you bud.:( I really wouldn't suggest getting a decorative sea star. I've had my eyes on Biscuit stars for a while, but I won't get one due to their low survivability rate in captivity. I believe you are talking about the Linckia sea star, and these guys are also very difficult to care for... plus, they get very large, at least 30cm at full size. From the experiences of others with Biscuits, I've read that these stars might seem fine in the home aquarium for some time, then suddenly for reasons that can't always be found, it will just start to decline and eventually die.

Like Biscuits, Linckia star's are very very sensitive to differences in parameters and really don't ship well. This is a problem because even if it's not being shipped to you, it was shipped before it arrived at your LFS. All that said, if the animal is healthy at the store, acclimated very, very carefully to a mature tank with plenty of mature rock, and settles in well, then it has a decent chance of being a hardy resident of a reef tank. The problem is that our tanks are young and small... and you know that smaller tanks suffer parameter swings a lot easier than larger tanks. This big blue star is often considered a crowning achievement and carefully added after a reef tank has already been successful for some time. Here's a good read on them.;)
    https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/inverts

10. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Hi,
    I think I will get some more sand sifting and some sort of algae eating snail (Norman my hermet crab killed one of them as he wanted it's shell ‍♂️‍♂️)
    I have a few small white starfish that I like, but they are pests. Are there any really cool small inverts I could add? The sexy shrimp are nice but they hide alot.

It's fine about the starfish, I was kind of expecting that outcome, think of it more as the 'preventor of bad news' as while it may be bad news it's preventing the catastrophic bad news in the future (aka loosing the starfish).

For the gobies/ blennys what would you recommend? I think I'll get one but only when I get the new lid. For now I can save and plan.

Ethan

11. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Just got a text from the guy from my lfs who is looking after my tank, all is well (I was expecting ich or they jumped but no sign of either, apparently my calcium is low so he's trying to get me to buy the £15 red sea buffer. I have a salfert all in one buffer, will that do for now?

Also, I have £20 of unspent holiday money, may go to a fish shop en route home and might get something, probably a goby/blenny (contrary to my previous post ) any good suggestions that will work and is colourfull, cheap and cool looking? Failing that I may get a nice WYSIWYG acan I saw on eBay.

Thanks,
    Ethan

12. stella1979

Sorry for being late again Ethan.:banghead: I do try to keep up.

Hrmmm, just pondering ideas and wondered how you might like a firefish. They are colorful and interesting in my experience. Scorch is a pretty brave little guy, hunts pods all day, sometimes tried to steal coral food, and darts like a dartfish does when he gets scared.

The thing I worry about is your established clowns. They are unlikely to be friendly to any new fish, and you are kind of limited in that you only have space for the more timid species. Perhaps a basslet or an orchid dottyback might hold their own with the clowns, but I'm fairly certain it would be a pretty tight squeeze with a third active fish, and that you should stick with more sedentary species like small gobies and blennies. I know you had bad luck with the tail spot, but they are currently a favorite of mine and if I were in your shoes I'd want to try again.

13. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

No worries about the late reply, I'm on holiday in East Anglia and there's no signal, so I've been offline lately.

A firefish would be cool, but I'll see how much they cost, would a peacock wrass work?, I was also concidering a scooter blenny of some sort as they are kind of cool.

Ill take a look at my lfs when I get back as they may have more stuff, there is this guy who must have given me £50 of free stuff at least! (I buy 2 Hermes and he gives me 5) he said that next time they get tail spots in to ask him and bag it up for me and charge me for something like a snail, I don't feel too happy about accepting all this free stuff but its useful when reefing on a budget .

Could I get a third clown or do they do best in pairs?

Also for the cuc would a fire or cleaner shrimp work? Id love a cleaner but they are a bit too spidery for me (and they cling to your hand).

Ethan
    Ethan

14. stella1979

Awesome! Hope you're having a good holiday. :)

Ethan... I gotta give it to you straight my friend. You have a NANO REEF:hilarious:... Absolutely no 5 inch fish in a 50l tank bud, lol. That is, if you and I are talking about the same wrasse. The Leopard Peacock or Leopard wrasse, yes? These guys are for experts only and minimum tank size recommendation is 189l.
    Splendid Leopard Wrasse

I also expect that your clowns will not tolerate a third clown added, as they've already paired and claimed your tank as their own. :rolleyes:

The skunk cleaner or the scarlet cleaner would work. The skunk will spend more time in the open and the scarlet will hide a lot of the time. Up to you.;)

15. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Oh, Thats the chap I ment ....I thought they were small, my lfs has them the size of a small clown... I guess they must be newborns, no worries I'm sure ill have them one day.

I might get the skunk cleaner but I have fairly bad arachnophobia so I may ask to put my hand in the lfs tank first as I don't want to have a shock in my own tank.

What about a scooter blenny of some sort? I don't have that much space of open substrate, but there is a bit will that be enough as I know they like to stay on the substrate, also do they need copopods?

Sorry for asking all these questions (I'm still a noob with fish)

Ethan

16. stella1979

First of all... Don't be sorry Ethan. :) That's what this place is for, and I'm still a noob with a lot of things too!

A scooter blenny... hmm. Well, Nart has the experience with these guys and found the scooter to be a much easier fish to care for than the Ruby Red or the Mandarin dragonette. These guys are all related and share some of the same qualities in that they require a mature tank with really good biodiversity, and may be difficult to feed. The scooter blenny (Synchiropus ocellatus) in particular will want to hunt in the sand for pods and such but may take to prepared foods easier than it's cousins.

If I remember Narts experiences correctly, the mandi did not take well to prepared foods and life became too busy to nurture the fish as well as the live cultures that were needed to keep it healthy. The Ruby Red may have eaten prepared stuff a little easier, she was fed live stuff as well, but was a nervous fish who jumped soon after bringing her home. I think he still has the scooter blenny, and that little guy eats frozen like a champ... But let's remember that this is after Nart's tank was not only mature, but had been heavily dosed for some time with pods and live phyto, and he also fed live white worms and perhaps other good stuff I'm unaware of. I mean heavily dosed and fed because he was not only keeping difficult fish but also clams. So, while the scooter blenny thrives in his care, I couldn't say that you or I would have the same experience. It does eat frozen food well, but it may be that the supplementation it gets from the tank is a larger part of it's diet than we know. Watcha think @Nart ?

17. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Ok,
    All I dose is a magnesium, calcium and alk buffer (with other trace elements in) hopefully nart will be able to clarify

I do plan on a clam, possibly a boaring clam?

The scooter blennys are cool but i seem to recall that one needed pods

I just feel stupid as I've kept saltwater for about a year now (in July) and never fish, so sorry again for all the questions but I though it was best to put them all on here...

When I get back and go to the lfs I'll see what there is and update on here, I need to set my QT up again as I took it down before I went away .

Ethan

18. stella1979

I'm gonna get all Mom on you now... That is ENOUGH of that Ethan! You are not stupid!!! How can you expect to be educated in something without experiencing it? You are a product of your situation but are growing in knowledge. What more can you ask of yourself?

With that out of the way...;) You are dosing minerals. The dosing of Nart's that I was speaking of is for biodiverse life within the tank, the tiny organisms that make up the base of the food chain on a reef. I'd love to do just like Nart and have a mandarin, but it is expensive, time-consuming, and just not something I'm prepared to take on right now. This is why I stay away from dragonettes, though they are terribly cute and my favorites, the scooter included. Knowing that you are a young student, I would advise you to stay away for now as well.

Please don't ever apologize to me for questions. I'm glad I can be of some help.;)

Definitely QT... always. ;)

Melissa :) (Just in case you didn't know, but you can still call me Stella if you want because that's been my alter-ego for many, many years.)

19. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Ok,
    I though you ment trace elements , I was concidering putting pods in as I know there are some benefits in having lots, I already have these small white shrimp everywhere but I don't think they are pods.

I'll Qt (it's just hard as I like to rush into things), but I know if I don't It could be detrimental to the fish.

I've always wanted a mandarin like @grantm91 's but I know they are very difficult (my lfs's didn't last long).

Also, isn't it I have to wait for at least 6 months for a nem? My lfs had a large import just come in of rbt anemones when I was last In, id love one before I get more coral so it won't trample them, but should I play it safe and wait ? The tank is only about 3 months old (that's when it was setup, more like 2.5 months since cycled)

Ethan

P.s no more apologizing on my part (unless I actually offend someone)

20. stella1979

Yes, good advice tells us that we'll have better luck with nems if we wait for a mature tank, and they're not wrong. Here's the thing though... Grant did not wait for a mature tank and has had very good luck with nems, even in his early days. I introduced my first rock flower nem at about the 2 month mark, and the 2nd a week or two later. They are both still happy in the tank. Nart just set up a new tank and threw in a bunch of nems. :) We all heard the advice and moved ahead at our own risk, knowing that we would watch carefully and manage parameters whenever necessary. Here are some things to know.

Anemones actually like a bit of a dirty tank, so nitrates at 5-10 are great.

Pretty much all anemones get absolutely huge! Like bigger than a nano tank huge, but it can take a good while, and growth can be faster or slower depending on how often you feed them.

Speaking of feeding, they'll eat as much as you'll feed, but overfeeding is a huge no-no because they can basically rot inside... as can some corals from too much food.

You NEVER want an anemone to die in a tank, particularly nanos. It will release it's toxins and poison everything. It's always best to be prepared with quick access to saltwater and spare equipment. A nano heater and pump shouldn't be too expensive and might save your anemone and your tank. Getting a sick nem to a bucket with tank water (taken from the tank, replaced with new water, so like doing a water change, but old water reserved for the sick nem), with a matching temp and low flow will preserve your tank in case of death. The nem may not love the change, but low flow might help with 'getting better', and the ultimate goal is not having to tear down your tank.