75 Gallon Tank Etching Or Hard Water?

Larry O'Donnell

HI all,

Got a 75 gallon for $75 bucks on Facebook Marketplace, the guy said there were some hard water stains but vinegar should take them off. Actually took some vinegar to the buy to try it, it helped a little but not much. Decided to buy it anyway, for $75 it was worth the chance.

My wife and I just spent 4 hours scrubbing, scraping and cursing our way around this tank. We tried Vinegar, Salt, CLR, Windex, razor blades, soft sponges, microfiber, plain water and many combinations thereof. There is virtually no difference as to when we started, I think some spots look even worse from scraping it with the razor (I scraped HARD). From some research, it would appear that the hard water has "etched" into the glass? It had been dormant for about 2 years. If all of the compounds above and 8 man hours of elbow grease didn't even touch this, am I safe to assume this tank will never look great? I really don't want to get involved with acid or any more caustic stuff than I already have if it's not going to buff out.

Try a nuclear method or submit to the fact I've got a nice big ass breeder tank now?

Thanks in advance!

Larry O'Donnell

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom