Estimating PAR without a par meter?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
HI everyone! I was wondering...is it possible to calculate how much PAR your tank is getting without an actual PAR meter? I found this calculator that allows you to estimate the PAR values produced by a variety of common light types;

And I found an equation for estimating light penetration in water; IZ=I0(1−f)e^(−Z*E). IZ is the irradiance at depth Z (in meters), I0 is the irradiance at the water surface, f is how much water is reflected/back scattered at the water surface (usually .1), e is a constant (2.71828), and E is the attenuation coefficient in M^-1. The attenuation coefficient is difficult to measure, so I was going to assume a range between .15 (very clean water) and 2 (very dirty or algae rich water). Different wavelengths have different attenuation coefficients (EG red has a much higher coefficient than blue).

ANYHOW! Can I use such calculators/equations to estimate substrate PAR levels in an aquarium? Thanks :)

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
There's another calculator here that I've used in the past, in case it's helpful. Maybe compare the two and see if they produce similar results?

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
JenC said:
There's another calculator here that I've used in the past, in case it's helpful. Maybe compare the two and see if they produce similar results?
I found this calculator during my research...I get significantly different results between them. I do not know why...

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom