Established Tank But Want To Go Bigger On Filter

1. L

Leilani Grovell Initiate Member

I've had an established tank for a few years I recently moved and set my tank back up with a new filter but after a few months of it being up I want a bigger one. How should I go about adding in the new bigger filter with my fish in the tank . I wasnt sure if I should keep the old one and set the new one beside it and after a month or two take the old smaller one out ? Can anyone help ?

2. Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

Take the filter media from the smaller filter and put it straight into the new larger filter.

3. OP
    OP
    L

I thought about that , but the one I have now is marineland and it has cartridges and the one I plan to get had biomax.

4. OP
    OP
    L

The one I plan to get is from aquaclear and has some different filtration materials , so I put the cartridges into the new system that has only biomax ?

5. Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

If you can, just add the cartridge from the old filter into the new filter somehow and leave it there for a week to maybe a month if you want to be sure. All your beneficial bacteria is in that cartridge, or at least most of it is, so putting it in the new filter somehow and letting the beneficial bacteria cover the new media will help you completely avoid a cycle happening. Then again, so long as you dont have any fish that dont like a lot of current, your idea of putting the filter in next to the old one for a month would do the same thing.

6. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you , I appreciate the help I'm going to try your first idea

7. l

lodingi Initiate Member

You can run both filters side by side for a month until the new filter is establised.

Depending on tank size, current filter and upgrade filter, you may be better served running both filters.

8. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you , I appreciate the help