Hello lovely people,

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 20 ppm
GH: 120
KH: 80
Water changes: 40% weekly
Routine: Root tabs in soil, no ferts being added regularly (due to algae issues), daily flourish excel, no current CO2

I have an established planted tank that I setup with the help of you folks from here and all has been going well for about 10 months now. I wanted to experiment with DIY CO2 so I bought a kit that I've been using for the last few months, and it really did seem to help my plants thrive and grow. I've been growing mainly:
- pearl weed
- vals
- anubias nana petites
- rotalas

Now all of a sudden my plants have started to turn brown/black and I see what looks like BBA..? I think I know what the cause potentially might be but I wanted to get your guys' opinion and what my course of action should be.

What I suspect happened:
My yeast DIY ran out and I decided that since my tank was established at this point and plants were thriving and settled, that I'd cut back on the CO2 and try it without for a while. I also ran out of excel that same week and had to order more and just forgot. So for the next one to two weeks, the tank had no CO2 or fourish doses. I then noticed ALL OF MY VALS were turning translucent and dying and I noticed other plants getting brown. I suspect this change in water chemistry really messed with the plants. I've since had to remove all of the vals and have just some babies left. Rest of the plants are faring a bit better but are turning dark and I'm wondering what my next steps would be? Any and all advice is appreciated!

PlantedCommunityTank132

Hi reeelax. I think there aren't enough nutrients and minerals in the water, since it looks like its a heavily planted tank. I would suggest that you do two water changes a week, and get ferts as soon as possible. I'm not sure if this helps, or if I'm even correct with what I'm saying, since i'm fairly new to this hobby. I hope this helps.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
Deshik
Replies
Views
Dimentio
Replies
Views