Established Community of Shrimp All Dying

willjames37

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello, I have a 40G freshwater community that's been set up for almost 3 years. I got a honey gourami, a bristlenose pleco, 2 nerite snails and 5 ghost shrimp 2 years ago and they have all been thriving since then. Obviously the original shrimp may be gone by now but they started breeding and made themselves a nice little community. I couldn't even keep track of how many were in there. Over the last month or two, the shrimp seem to have all died except for the maybe two that I can find. About a month ago I did add 6 neon tetras from my LFS and they're doing fantastically as well, but I'm not sure if the shrimp dying could possibly have something to do with adding the tetras? The only other change that's been made was that about two months ago I took the prefilter sponge off of my filter intake because it was giving me trouble. At that point the shrimp still seemed to be breeding and some new babies were surviving and growing despite no intake sponge. I do weekly water changes of 40-50% which seems like a lot but it's what I have always done because it's hard to keep nitrates down in this tank for some reason. I just did a full test and ammonia is about 0.25ppm, nitrite is 0ppm, nitrate between 10 and 20. GH and KH are about 9-10 according to the API test. pH is 7.4, temp about 78F. Same as always. While this has been happening I've found probably about 5 shrimp bodies over the last couple months that I had to take out myself but I thought maybe they were just dying naturally until I noticed over the past couple of water changes that they're all gone. They're not in the filter, and I've never seen my fish bothering them. Everyone else in the tank is doing great as usual. The shrimp never looked sick or anything. No weird spots on them to indicate illness. I'm honestly at a loss, I have no clue what happened. I came here in hopes that someone might have experienced this before or have some ideas.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not super knowledgeable about shrimp but I know theyre pretty sensitive. Your ammonia being anything above 0 might be some cause for concern- is this also normal? Besides the test you just did when was the last time you tested?

OP
willjames37

willjames37

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Salem said:
I'm not super knowledgeable about shrimp but I know theyre pretty sensitive. Your ammonia being anything above 0 might be some cause for concern- is this also normal? Besides the test you just did when was the last time you tested?
I don't remember exactly the last time I did a test but I'm pretty sure ammonia has been .25 before with the shrimp in there and it didn't seem to affect them. Sorry that isn't super helpful I have a pretty bad memory lol.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom