Est Tank want to add filter question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Hevic, Mar 28, 2010.

1. H

Hevic New Member Member

Hey!
    Our comets spawned just over summer, and we set up a 75 litre tank, which currently holds about eight 1 inch fish.
    It's currently unfiltered, and I know it should be, but i'm worried introducing the filter will knock off all the fish, once the nitro cycle starts.
    30% of the water does get changed every week. And it is full of plants :)

So the short of it is:
    Is there a way that a filter can be put into the tank without killing all the fish?
    I really dont want to kill the little guys!

Note: i dont really know any of the specs of the tank right now sorry.
    Thanks!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You are concerned a filter will kill the 1 inch fish?

3. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

Jaysee, he is concerned that there is potential for a mini cycle from adding a filter to a previously unfiltered tank.

I would suggest that he adds filter media to the established tank to get seeded for 1-2 weeks, then addes the new filter to the fry tank. Should prevent any mini-cycles.

I would strongly recommend testing the parameters of the fry tank, and posting them here so we have more to go off...

4. OP
    OP
    H

Hevic New Member Member

Er, I'm a she :p
    Thanks bubblynutter, I was thinking of putting in the media for a week or so before starting the filter, glad you suggested it too :)
    I'll have to get a new test kit, ours is pretty old and missing pieces :p

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Hevic. :;hi2

Good suggestion there from Bubblynutter. To be honest though if the tank is already cycled, then adding a filter won't result in an ammonia spike anyway. All that will happen is the good bacteria will colonise the filter media. If you have lots of plants they will consume most of the ammonia that may be produced anyway. They need to be healthy plants that are growing well though.

6. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

agree with nutter. Best to provide parameters so we can provide accurate advice. Just my opinion.

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

YUP!! Exact parameters are always good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice