Est. Tank High Phosphates?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Stanza387, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Stanza387

Stanza387New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys!

So I just went ahead and invested in APIs Phosphate liquid test kit. I've had suspicions that my phosphates were high because of a red algae always building up on my filter outtakes. Anyway, I went ahead and did the test in my 30 Gal high main show tank (lightly planted, couple Anubias, couple Java Fern, a Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, and some floating Wisteria) which is home to 3 Botia Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Guppies, 3 Corydoras, 1 Bristle Nose, 2 Mollies, and 8 Neon Tetras, I got a reading of MORE than 5.0 ppm and LESS than 10.0 ppm. I know I've got a big bio load and a small plant load which I plan to even out but in the mean time what do you guys suggest I do? Just add more plants and see how it goes? Add a phosgaurd product? Maybe beef up my filtration? Let me know what you guys think. I really want to get this under control. Thanks!

PS- I included a picture of my filter outtakes and red algae buildup. 0605180354.

2. OP
    OP
    Stanza387

Stanza387New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    To add a little more info.. My tap water tests out at about 2.0 ppm of Phosphates and my very heavily planted 20 Gal long guppy tank tests out at about 4.0 ppm. I was very surprised to see my tap water test at only 2 ppm. Is it normal for phosphates to rise that much in the aquarium? Also I do weekly 25-40% water changes on all of my tanks. Thanks again guys.

Become a Fishlore Member