Est. Filter Media? (from Pond) To Help W/ Tank N Cycle?

nurseemily

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a disaster a week + ago and had to quickly rescue some goldfish and place into un-cycled tanks.

I've read that sometimes you can use established filter media in your virgin filters to help with cycle and bacteria?

My question is can I use some of this spongey stuff that is tied around my pond's filter water outlet as media in my tanks filters? (I did not create this waterfall hose deal - it came with the house and is a project on my list before spring and reintroduction of goldfish BACK to the pond)

photos of close up "sponges" - there's a black one and a green one. also how the waterfall is set up, the filter and pump. the filter in the pond has zero media in it and I'm not even attempting to figure out that PVC pipe, UV situation...

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I definitely wouldn't hurt. Should help you speed up cycling your tanks.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guess i was just focusing on tank sizes vs fish sizes to keep them safe. Lol

Im almost kicking myself for that one. Lol. My daughters friends often adopt one of my bettas and i always give a chunk of my filter sponge to go with the fish to help. Don't know why i didn't suggest it. Lol. I have also given whole tank stocking away always with the filter sponge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom