Escaping snails?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all, I've been thinking about getting a couple nerite snails to help take care of my seemingly ever-growing algae problem, but I have one concern. When I upgraded my lights, I traded in my hood for a lighting fixture. It just mounts on the sides of the tank, and I don't have a glass cover over the water.

Will the snails crawl out of the tank? It would definitely not go over well to have snails crawling around the basement!!

Thanks for any advice you can give!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Paigee,

It's a very good possibility that your snails may try to escape. I've even seen posts where a snail is in one tank and the next morning that same snail is in another tank that was right beside his/her original home.

I would consider looking into some glass hoods, budget permitting. Some type of cover for your tank is highly recommended with snails.

Good luck!

Ken

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bump! Just looking to see if anyone else with snail experience has any input?? (Thanks for your reply though, Ken!)

I was thinking of trying to save money by, instead of buying a glass hood, trying to rig up something with either screen or mesh that goes over the top to stop the little guy from crawling out? My only concern is that it will block out some light, which plants need. Hmm... Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Paigee,

I don't see any issues with using some type of screen to cover your tank. I can't really say how much light would be blocked by doing so but I would surely consider it an option.

If you're dealing with green algae then the screening may actually help by reducing some of the light.

Hopefully you'll get more responses today

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have snails in several tanks without lids and haven't ever noticed any outside of the tanks. you could probably get by with a reptile screen, or the stuff that they make screen porches and windows with.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok thanks again Ken and jetajockey!

EDIT:
I think I have found my solution!! I am going to get a reptile aquarium cover and use a Dremmel to cut out the holes where the filters and such will sit. I think that it will work perfectly!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads