Escapee

1. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

My gold mysery snail has escaped 2 times in a row. Thankfully he didn't damage his shell too badly. The first time he fell onto the table the tank is on, however last night he landed on the tile (a good 4ft drop). I've always had plastic craft mesh cut to fit the opening where the filter comes into the tank, but it's climbing out the outtake onto the filter and then falls from there. I even tried lowering the water level and that doesn't seem to help.

Is there anything else I can try to put over the opening to keep it safe? If not, I'll have to try and move him to my son's frog tank which is the only one where there is no way to escape, but I'd hate to do that right now since my other snails don't seem to do well in that tank for some reason.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Plastic mesh craft sheets work great for this.
    They can be cut to any size.
    I use them all the time for gaps in the hood.
    You can find them at walmart or any craft store.

3. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

001.jpg

I've tried that, but it is still managing to escape. And these are big snails, about the size of a ping pong ball. It's just pushing right past the mesh and crawling up the outflow, even with the mesh taped down. The other snails in there aren't trying to escape, and I've checked the water, so I don't think it's a water quality issue.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Wow, tricky snail!
    Hopefully someone else will have a solution.

5. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I've read (In RogueAgent's snail blog, I think Laura said this) that the only snails that try to escape are females, because they're looking for a place to lay their clutch of eggs. If you lower the water level so there's an inch or two of space, they should lay the eggs there...assuming I'm not remembering incorrectly, and assuming you have at least two snails, so she could be trying to lay eggs in the first place :)

Here's the link. There is a lot of good information and pictures.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/rogueagent94/110516-snail-progress-blog.html

Edit: I just saw that you said "the other snails," so maybe it is a female snail looking for a good clutch-laying spot :)

6. Heather12404 Member Member

I was just going to say that it's probably a female snail. The only time mine have left the tank is to lay eggs. I've had them on the outside of my filter, and when I moved the filter over so she couldn't fit she decided to go inside the filter and lay them there. Since I have separated my male from my females I no longer have this issue.
    Mine never fell off the tank, I would just find eggs in the morning.
    Maybe try gluing the craft mesh on to the hood with some aquarium silicone? That way they can't push through it or move it. I don't know, just an idea. You've got a very determined snail.

7. greenbeanette Member Member

8. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I thought it might be a female too, but it hasn't laid any clutches in the few months I've had it. I found it in the hood twice this week as well, so I did try to lower the water level and it just keeps crawling all the way out. It's not acting quite right today since its fall last night, so I'm hoping it makes it. I did almost a complete water change on my son's adf tank and put it in there with the water lowered because that setup has no holes whatsoever that it could make it out of. I'll check on it later to see how its doing, but at least this way if it does make another run for it, it won't succeed and even if it did, his room is carpeted. Thankfully, the only damage I could see to its shell was the newest part where it got a bit of a chip on it from falling. Obviously its shell is nice and hard because when I heard it fall early this morning I had visions of it shattering like an egg shell.

9. MeganS Member Member

I've had a snail do this before. He/she escaped about 4 times. The parameters looked fine but I did a water change anyways and it hasn't tried to escape since.